586,094 active members*
4,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > CNC Sterling Silver Designs

Talking CNC Sterling Silver Designs

Hi,

I'm Hannah a jeweller from the UK. I am looking for a way to produce simple flat pendants from Sterling Silver sheet, I currently cut them out by hand with a saw but I don't have time to do this anymore as my business has grown. Some people over at practicalmachinest forum suggested various methods including CNC & pancake dyes. Both are options, but as I am looking to have a number of designs made would CNC for upfront cost be cheaper? Or would I need a 3D model made? I currently have a 2D digital graphic silhouette image of the design.

Lost wax casting is an option, but for complicated designs, I need to have a 3D model made, which is then printed in wax and then cast, then a mould made from this casting, then waxes made for multiple copies and cast again... which can work out quite expensive becuase of the 3D modelling.

Does anyone know of any suitable CNC companies that can cut 1.2mm Sterling Silver sheet? I only need flat simple designs.

Thanks

An example of something I need made - https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e4&oe=5614A186

Re: CNC Sterling Silver Designs

I'd agree with the people who suggested pancake dies for the simple cut-outs you're making from sheet. It's a lot quicker than sawing things out by hand, and much less involved than setting up a CNC process. Here's a fellow in the US that specializes in making them for clients: Sheltech - Custom Dies and Cutting

Other alternatives would be abrasive water-jet cutting or spray etching. This can be a good solution if you find the right service provider to do it for you, although neither is practical to set up in a small studio. You wouldn't need a 3D model, just a vector graphic in DXF or AI format.

If you want to make 3D parts in silver, though, CNC milling would be a good process to consider. It's not necessary to 3D print a model; you can also carve it with the mill. Making a 3D model isn't necessarily as difficult or expensive a process as you seem to think. There are cheap and even free programs that will allow you to create and mill jewelry models yourself, if you invest in a small CNC mill.
    Andrew Werby
    Website