586,100 active members*
2,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 15 1234513

Talking Done and running.

Hi all,

My machine is up and running complete with sound proof box.
    All I hear in the shed is the rumble of the dust collector. Just need to move the PC from the top of the box and install under it.
    Just hate when you need a PC cable at 11pm and nothing is open.

Hi Coolcuttings,

Well done!

I found my camera at my daughters house. I will post some pictures later tonight.

Larry

Hi,

Here are some pictures. The wires on the back of the machine are pinned. They are for my home switches. The wiring could be (should be) tidier.

I set the machine to drill holes every 1" on the X table. I use them for indexing and for hold downs.

The first part that I made was the router clamps used for my new trim router.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router.JPG   Router1.jpg  

Hi Larry,

Nice machine. What is the weight of your trim router? I was going the use one but I was unsure if the machine would carry it.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Coolcuttings View Post
    Hi Larry,

Nice machine. What is the weight of your trim router? I was going the use one but I was unsure if the machine would carry it.

CC
    Hi Coolcuttings,

I am not sure of the weight of the router. I'm cutting poplar at 1/4" at 10 ipm with outstanding results. It is capable of cutting faster but my machine uses 1/2 drill rod and my Z axis is not very ridged fore and aft. On a couple of occasions in my Gcode, I put G00 instead of G01. The machine was set to jog at 35 ipm. It cut the piece with no ill effects.

Larry

Hi Coolcuttings,

you should send a picture of your machine to Rockcliff. Nick will post it on his web site.

How is your machine coming?

I fixed my X axis backlash problem. I screwed on a plastic leadnut on the end of the table. I lost a couple of inches in travel but got my accuracy back.

Larry

Larry,

The machine is cutting well. I have cut a few RC plane parts and the thickest has been a 1/4'' ply which was cut with a .05 endmill router bit and 2 passes at 0.125 each. I have done 3 cuts of the same peice on different thickness ply and all have come out the same, which is a bonus. I get a bit of flex in the y axis and x axis as the cutting surface has been made larger by 3 inches. Next time I would go a thicker rod to stop the flex. But you live and learn as we go. I had troubles keeping the material being cut fixed in place which I solved by drill a piece of mdf at 1'' intervals and then tapped these with a 3/16 tapper. 225 drill holes and 225 taps, glad it is only a piece that will get marked over time.

I will take a photo when it is next running and send it off to Nick.

CC

Cool

Hello guys, I just started a Rockcliff router. I am just getting everything together. What type of switches do you use for homing switches and how do you hook them up to the machine, and the control. I am using 425 oz in stepper motors, and a stepmaster nc 3 axis board. I have a complete metal working machine shop with a cnc bridgeport mill to make some of the parts. I will not get to fancy, as this is my first cnc build but I can use my mill with a 3/4" ballnose endmill to mill the table and blocks correctly. I bought 2 dewalt heavy duty trim routers for my project. I will make some nice aluminum mounts for the router to clamp around the diameter on the nose of the router. This is a fantastic website to share and get information from, and all you guys make it happen. Boy, the world would be a boring place without hobbies. Thanks again, Pat

Greetings Pat,

I do not use any homing switches and use micro lever switches for the limit switch, which are hooked directly to my stepper board. only problem with that is mach3 can use 5 limits switches only and I have six. I have connected the Z+ and Z - as one port and remaining to their own. At the monent the novelty has not worn off so I sit and watch all the parts getting cut out. I am still amazed at what can be built of simple items and work with out a hiccup.

Make sure you take photo of the build and post here.

CC

CC

Cool

Thanks Coolcuttings, you have built a nice machine with alot of fore-thought. I would like to see some better pictures that you can blow up of your machine. I will build this one, and then the next one will be linear bearings, ball screws and slides. Pat

Quote Originally Posted by cncboss6 View Post
    What type of switches do you use for homing switches and how do you hook them up to the machine, and the control.
    Hi Pat,

For my home switches, I screwed 2" X 2" plywood to the gantry and the floor of the router table. To the blocks of plywood I attached micro switches. On the Y axis, I screwed a deck screw into the connector plate and on the X axis I screwed a drywall screw into the X table. The screws trigger the switches. There is no home switch on the Z axis.

The switches are wired to the CNCHobby board. The switches share a common ground.

I did not install limit switches. If you are using 425 oz steppers, I would install them. You will break something if there is nothing stopping them.

Larry

Cool

Thanks for the info Larry. This should be a fun project. I am going to throw the wood table and blocks up on my bridgeport and run a 3/4" ballnose endmill to install the 3 radius tracks for the bushings and nuts. I think I will attach a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum to the wood table that has a bunch of tapped holes in it for clamps. Pat

Interesting machine. On the bronze bearings:

Are you just using a router to make a channel in two blocks of wood then sandwiching the bearings inbetween the two? So you would use a 1/2" or 5/8" round router it (whatever the outer I/D of the bearing is). Is this correct?
    www.bigbearcnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by mwalach View Post
    Interesting machine. On the bronze bearings:

Are you just using a router to make a channel in two blocks of wood then sandwiching the bearings inbetween the two? So you would use a 1/2" or 5/8" round router it (whatever the outer I/D of the bearing is). Is this correct?
    Hi mwalash
    Yes in our plans the bearing channels can be made with a router or table saw, and are sized for the O.D (outside dimension) of the bearing, in your email to me this afternoon explaining an attempt to use the same style bearing in your machine plans, had caused binding the binding is most likely due to incorrect bearing location geometry, when I looked at your machine design I can see your table slide bearing location distance is too short in the length (or travel direction) as compared to the width, when this type of geometry is used it will in most cases cause a natural binding or a lock-up condition, by increasing the distance between bearing locations greater in the travel direction than width will give better results, or using a dual leadscrew design to keep both sides slaved together, the same rules should be given with respect to the actual length of the bearing surface too.

Nick
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.stonehook.net/cnchome.htm

Hi All

I have'nt had too much time for replys this week, and thank you Coolcuttings and Larry for your helpful replys, and yes Coolcuttings your machine looks really good, I could only hope to have woodworking skills like that one day!

Cncboss6
    For sure cutting the grooves with your bridgeport will make for a very easy and fun build, I was very tempted to use my
    vertical mill when making this machine from my plans, (but I could not cheat) I had to stay true to the plans, and used
    a table router as most people would be using home style tools, This router design can accept commercial linear rails and
    runner blocks, without any issues a size 15 can be used as a direct replacement . We are an OEM automotive machine builder and
    have purchased about as much of the stuff to pay for a medium sized house,
    I have had many many years of good success with the Star line of linear bearings http://www.boschrexroth.com/ if or when you decide
    to go that route let me know I will rework a plan set for you to include linear rails and runner blocks, then add it to plans for others.
    Nick
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.

Post Linear Bearings

Hi All
    I just finished a injet print head positioner this month, x axis 13" and z axis 12" two rails and three runner blocks cost me $650! and I get a huge OEM discount! you can see a picture of it on my site http://www.stonehook.net/oem.htm

Nick
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.

Hello,

I jus't bought the plans and now i'm waiting on the key. Anybody now how long this takes? I'm verry curius to start en to take a look in the plans.

bas

Rockcliff Router

Quote Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
    Hello,

I jus't bought the plans and now i'm waiting on the key. Anybody now how long this takes? I'm verry curius to start en to take a look in the plans.

bas
    Hi Sunlight I have just emailed your key, sorry for the delay as we are on a different time zone than holland, if you have any questtions please email me anytime,
    Nick

Hello Nick,

I'm study them right now, looks inpresive.

Delay??? its 1 our ago that i pay so now problem at all. Realy fast service.

regards Bas

Gday All,
    I just wanted to say Gday. I have just spent a few hours in the shed over the weekend and have the rockcliff router almost together. Great plans and easy to follow. I hope you all dont mind when i ask some silly questions. I have no idea of what i will use to drive the router system yet.Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Darren
    Melbourne Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DBs Router project.jpg  

Page 3 of 15 1234513