586,111 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Controller wiring

Hi guys,
    I bought the shown items per picture through Amazon and it is on its way...But I need your help for what to be connected where...The only thing I knew how to connect is the motors..
    The drivers has G; +24V; Step; Dir; EN; +5V while the Break Board has CK+; CK-; DR+; DR-. Also what about the Spindle, how to connect it to the Board?
    Thanks in advance..
    Mitch
    Attachment 287456

Re: Controller wiring

MIchael,

What is the make and model of the breakout board?

The signals on the driver are GROUND, 24VDC, the main power. Step, Direction these are sent by the controller for each axis. The 5V is used to power the logic on the driver board.

There should be a manual with this kit I would think.

The signals CK+, CK-, DR+, DR- would appear to be differential signals, which are often used to avoid noise issues. The names indicate Clock and Direction, which would be similar to Step and Direction.

The spindle motor can be controlled in many ways and a simple picture does not provide enough information.

Did you see CK,DR signals in groups of four for each axis? If so, this was designed to send out a differential output to a given driver. Normally you can just hook up the positive aspect of the signals as it often will not work.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thank you for replying back instantly...and sorry for my late one.
    I finally got all the items. There is a manual that is based on having the same symbol in the corresponding device!!!
    i.e. what I understood is that they advise to connect the CK+ in the controller to the CK+ of the driver and so on.
    Googling the internet for a similer case I found a Russian link that talks about exactly the same models
    USBCNCV4.0X for the controller and ST330-V3 for the TB6560 driver
    CNCUSB+TB6560 ? ?????? ? ??? ?? ?????? cnc-club.ru
    Using the google translate, I got the last post saying that CK- is the Step; Dir- is the Dir; +5V is the CK+ and EN sould be left empty..
    When I tried that it worked. However the motor runs in only one direction!!!
    I searched again and found this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbfcdAq9No
    Where it is shown the guy reversing the direction by connecting the Ground to the Direction.
    Is it safe to do the same or shall it Poof burn my driver????
    Shall I connect it to the Ground in addition to being connected to the Dir-?
    I don't know if his case is same as mine as I noticed he is using the Step; Enable and +5V.
    In my case I did not use Enable.

Would anybody advise me what to do???
    Regards,
    Michel

Cool Re: Controller wiring

Mike,

The controller board you have provides a differential signal for Step and Direction. CK is Step, DR is Direction. So how to you hook this up to the driver which is singled ended. You have to handle this using the open collector approach. What does that mean? Well the differential signal is composed of two parts a positive aspect and a negative aspect. These are 180 degrees out of phase, this is done to allow you to provide an interface that is noise immune. The singled ended interface is just a single wire for each signal.

For each axis you will connect CK+ to CK+ on the driver. The CK- lead on the controller needs to get connected to Ground. For DR+ to connect that to DR+ on the driver. Again, for DR- you connect that to ground. This is detailed in the driver manual in section two with a wiring diagram.

Chinese written manual.
    Control signal interface circuit MD430 drive differential signal applied, single end total of yin and yang interface, built in high speed optocoupler allows you to receive long term drivers, and PNP open collector output circuit of the signal.The figure is the drive wiring diagram.

The enable lead normally needs to be connected to +5V on the driver or the stepper motor will not move.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Cool Re: Controller wiring

Hi Ross,

Appreciate your help...
    I tried to illustrate what I understood...Is that correct?
    Attachment 287710
    My Controller board is slightly different that the one of Variometrum...Mine is Fastercnc Co., LTD.

Now regarding the Spindle...When I checked the Manual we These what I found:
    I) Software Spindle control relay output, the set of software output labeled 1, the definition of three feet from top to bottom time is normally closed, the common, normally open.
    And this one:
    P)Spindle control output interface: defined 5V \ PWM \ DIR \ GND ,means 5V ,direction signal output, the spindle signal output, ground; spindle speed control signal is a frequency change signal, customers can according to their needs put the frequency change into a voltage or current change.
    Although it is written in English but it looks Chinese to me
    My PWM has four wires: DC Power in + &- and Motor Out +&- ....Where to connect them??

Thanks,
    Mitch

Michel,

You must connect the USB-CNC controller to the Spindle controller. The PWM signals outputs 5,PWM,DIR,GND for spindle go directly to the Spindle Controller, the Spindle controller will have wires that go directly to the spindle motor. You did not include the model or manual for the spindle controller. The spindle interface often has uses two relays to control the motor direction if you are using a VFD. In your case you are not using a VFD, you have a PWM controlled spindle with a direction signal. Your control board has three relays, Spindle, Flood, Mist which can be assigned to whatever you need. You need to share you spindle controller to determine if you need a spindle relay, you might not need one at all or you could run the PWM signal through the relay to ensure it can not spin unless the relay is activated and PWM is present. Share the manual and we can give you some more guidance.

Russ

Ross,

You didn't tell me if it was correct the wiring I've attached via pic below..
    Regarding the spindle...This is what I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DVGGWC0/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3P3M5BSOJS908&coliid=I2T OBJ9XTLH94N&vs=1
    A DROK DC Control Driver Board...is this ok? Or shall I buy something different...

Regards,
    Mitch

Mitch,

The Spindle controller you purchased does not use a PWM input to control the spindle. This particular spindle controller has a knob, which you turn to adjust the speed of the spindle. The PWM signal is actually controlled with a circuit on this spindle driver. This is really not ideal for a CNC machine. You want to be able to control the spindle with the GCODE program running on your computer. If I were you I would get a different spindle controller.

You should always wire the component up on the bench and test them to ensure they all work prior to mounting the parts in the CNC machine you are building. Send a photo of how you have things wired and I can confirm it looks correct.

Russ

Russ,
    THIS ONE DID NOT WORK AT ALL ....It is like there are no power...is +5V involved in that?i.e. shall I connect it some where using this arrangement?
    Regards,
    Mitch

Mitch,

The spindle controller you purchased requires a 12V to 60VDC power supply to be connected to the terminal for Power. Then if you have a DC motor with two leads you connect those from the controller to the motor. Then you turn the knob and you should hear a small click as it turns on then as you turn it more to the right the motor should spin faster. There is NO 5V supply required for this spindle controller. How do you have it hooked up, the minimum supply is 12VDC.

Russ

Ross,

I was not talking about the Spindle...For the Spindle it seeems I'll work it manually since I did not buy a driver, in the future I may buy one.
    I was talking about this arrangement:
    For each axis you will connect CK+ to CK+ on the driver. The CK- lead on the controller needs to get connected to Ground. For DR+ to connect that to DR+ on the driver. Again, for DR- you connect that to ground. This is detailed in the driver manual in section two with a wiring diagram.
    Please see attached picture...
    when I connected all like that, nothing responded at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russ Advice.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	287870
    The only arrangement that responded was this one " CK- is the Step; Dir- is the Dir; +5V is the CK+ and EN sould be left empty ".but only in one direction ;(
    Regards,
    Mitch

Mitch,

No that is NOT correct. The CK- lead and the DIR- lead both for each driver need to connect to a common ground on the cnc controller board. If you look at the three pin connector that says HAND SPEED on your board the third pin is labeled GND. Open connector arrangements often are difficult to get to work depending on the board involved. You might need to use a converter board if the open collector arrangement will not work. Differential signals are touchy when you don't use both sides of the signal.

The board below takes a differential signal from your controller and converts it to single ended signal, these work very well.
    C46 - DIFFERENTIAL TO SINGLE ENDED CONVERTER, CNC4PC

Russ

Mitch,

I should have read my post before sending it. The CK- and DIR- for each axis must connect to GROUND on the controller side, use the ground at the HAND SPEED connection that should work.

Russ

I tried this..it is like there is nothing at all....like a piece of metal...

Do you have a scope or multimeter?

Russ

Nope. But I noticed someting, when I used this arrangement " CK- is the Step; Dir- is the Dir; +5V is the CK+ and EN left empty ".it spins in one direction. I removed the Dir- to Dr connection and I tried it spinned in the other direction...but only one direction and not two directions...

Michel,

That is another way to drive a differential input, could be due to the transistor configuration they are using.

If Ck- for step, Dir- for Direction, then tie both CK+ and DIR+ to +5V on the controller end. That should allow the motor to spin both ways. The Enable lead must already be pulled high with a resistor which is allowing it to work. I will look at the manual again.

Russ

Michael,

Here is why the board had to be wired like your last try. I just checked the manual again. The board you have is a common POSITIVE.

LMNO) AZYX-axis stepper motor control signal output, as defined in turn is CK + \ CK-\ DIR + \ DIR-,positive CK, negative CK, positive of direction, negative of direction.This board is used is as Common positive, so the board of CK + and DIR + is linked together and connected to 5V, this board does not support the common negative, the specific wiring refer to Figure 1-11. The card does not contain enable control ,EN signal is available in most of the drive ,do not pick the default direct work properly。

Russ

When I tried this "Ck- for step, Dir- for Direction, then tie both CK+ and DIR+ to +5V on the controller end" the motor turns when I click the positive in the software and does not respond when I click the opposite direction.
    Before that (i.e. when I was connecting only the CK+ to the +5V and not both the CK+ and Dir+ together) it was spinning in one direction and when I click the opposite on the software it was continuing to spin in the same direction..

If you have a voltage meter, you can measure between ground and the DIR signal the negative one. When you have the voltage displaying and you tell the software to reverse the direction does the voltage change. Let me examine in a little more detail. The direction pin is either ON or OFF. So if you see a voltage say 4.5V when you are attempting to move in one direction, then if you reverse directions in software the output voltage on that pin should drop down to near zero volts. If that is happening then there is something configured wrong on the motor driver.

As I shared earlier trying to use a differential signal where a singled ended single is expect can be challenging. The clean method is to use the little cards that convert the signal using the little boards from CNC4PC. I would not do this until I run the experiment listed above. These little signal converter boards are required for each axis. So if you have a three axis machine you would need three of those little card, they use network cables for wiring you just cut the ends off. The little converter boards costs about $8 each.

Run the experiment first.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 12