586,108 active members*
3,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face tooling and collets

Hi All

I have been using you guys for a while for information, buthave joined as I need to post to ask your advice.
    We have just bought a second hand Hitachi Seiki Hiturn TF20,and I have been given the task of connecting it up, getting it installed thenprofessionally, and then running it.

Connected to power now, and turns on.But, I need to get in some tooling. I have a10 station turret, with 5 positions for normal square tooling (will buy tippedtools, roughing, finishing, parting, grooving etc) but it also has 5 positionsfor drills, or boring bars, or other stuff? This is where I get confused. Does someonehave information on tooling or tool holders that will fit into these positions?The holders are arch shaped, 32mm bore through them, and 3 grub screws on theside. But I have no idea what tooling systems I need to look at to go in this?
    Any help would be appreciated, as my boss is starting tochew my heels to get the machine tooled up and running
    Cheers
    Andy

Re: tooling and collets

Andy,

those are just standard pockets. You basically buy whatever tool you need, say a 1" dia boring bar, and then get a bushing that is 1.00" ID and 1.250" OD. The bushing will have the holes in it so the set screw can tighten on the flats of the boring bar to keep it square. Bushing come in many ID sizes, so just get the 1.250" OD and you are good to go, as long as you have the tooling to fit. (or a 1.250" Boring bar by itself)

John

Re: tooling and collets

Hi John

many thanks for the reply. that now makes a little more sense to me!!

I will now start looking at getting some tooling in!!!