586,062 active members*
4,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Which 3D CAD for modeling machines using T-slot alumium (e.g. 80/20, Misumi)

Which 3D CAD for modeling machines using T-slot alumium (e.g. 80/20, Misumi)

Hi all.

Me and a friend are going to design something build up mainly with T-slotted aluminium.
    It's not CNC related, but as that is on my interest list I do have a regular look on this forum.
    As most machines here are build with T-slot extrusion thought this might be the place to ask my question.
    (Just thougt some maybe model new designs, using T-slots, first using 3D cad?)

Which 3D CAD package would be most suited for a total newbie?

One part would be downloading available 3D parts from the manufacturer we choose for the T-slot to build up the design.
    This model should help us to deced where/how mount electronics, mechanical, heaters, controllers, cables, and other parts....
    The other part is designing extra things, mostly mechanical and moving parts.

Been searching the web, for 3CAD and info about T-slot and 3D CAD modeling with it, nothing found.
    A at first spaceclaim drew my attention as they claim it is also aimed at occasional users due the simplicity of use.
    Searching and comparing more packages however... they are all the best, easy to use... like SC, SW, SE, Inventor etc....

Which would be the easiest to use for a newbie?
    Easy to import the 3D T-slot models to build the frame with.
    Import or draw som building blocks like a pid controller, which just can be a box with some connections, doesn't have to be an exact model with display etc.
    Importing a pcb to see what would be the easiest/best spot to mount it, etc...

Easy to do things like sliding in the nuts and other parts in the T-grove, screw in the bolts etc...
    I mean the visual aspect how it will look with everything mounted.

We're in Europe, using metrics. (I know, not a problem for CAD as it can be set to whatever one prefers.)
    Maybe someone has suggestions for good, cheap T-slots suplliers in Europe?

Hope you don't mind me asking thise here.
    Thanks in advance allready.

Kind regards,

Re: Which 3D CAD for modeling machines using T-slot alumium (e.g. 80/20, Misumi)

There are probably no "easy to learn" 3d modeling programs However, Fusion 360 works quite well and the price is right. Misumi has 3d models of their aluminum extrusions as well as most other items they sell. McMaster Carr also has models of their merchandise. Fusion 360 can import the models from both of these companies as well as from many more companies.

Re: Which 3D CAD for modeling machines using T-slot alumium (e.g. 80/20, Misumi)

T-slot manufacturers usually have a profile of their products that you can import into a sketch. Then you can extrude it to the length you plan to use. Fusion360 and Onshape are both free and not too difficult to learn. They both have extensive tutorials and very active user communities for asking questions.

80/20 has a plugin that purports to work with AutoCad 2007 through AutoCad 2016. I used an older version of it on an older AutoCad version, and it worked great. It allows you to select the extrusion, tell it what length and put it in your drawing. It also gives you a BOM of all the parts you've put into the drawing.

Not sure if it works with 3D stuff though. But it's free.

Mark