586,036 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach3 and Spindle motor from China running in slow RPM

Mach3 and Spindle motor from China running in slow RPM

Hello to all .
    I am phasing a problem with my new 400 watt spindle that i can't resolve any advise it will be helpful.

I have bought the following spindle motor from ebay with now instructions at all of course ,i manage to make it work with mach3 and my CNC through the pin port No.16 were was free ,i can control the speed of the spindle , on and off function also works .. but the motor running slow to the maximum speed (14000RPM).
    As i measure with my multimeter from the port no.16 i get maximum 2.5volt when the maximum speed placed on mach3 spindle control screen, but i thing that the PWM motor speed controller wants 12volts maximumto give the maximum speed on the spindle...

any ideas it would be appreciated.

Re: Mach3 and Spindle motor from China running in slow RPM

have you tried changing the "steps per" setting in the motor tuning control? Is your max and min spindle speeds set in the pulley set-up? I assume you're not using a tach feeedback are you?

Yes i have try to change the steps and pulley setups with any luck .. always the same results i get the spindle runs too slow, and no i have not using any tach feedback

Mach3's PWM output varies from 0-5V. If you're measuring it with a standard meter, it probably won't read the voltage correctly, as it's a pulsed signal.

If you really need a 12V PWM signal, then it's not going to work,

You might be able to use a board to convert the PWM to a steady voltage and connect it where the pot goes. If you connect the pot, what voltage is the pot sending at max rpm?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

pelo13

How fast did you expect it to run, most of these are just a regular DC brush motor, & are only good for 3,000 RPM to 12,000 RPM

The collet chuck is just mounted on a standard DC brush motor, these motors are not designed to be used as they are for a spindle

Spindle Motor:
    Work voltage: 12-48VDC
    Rotation speed: 3000-12000r/min
    Power: 400W
    Torque:500mN.m
    Insulation resistance:>2Megohm
    Dielectric strength:400V
    Motor Length : 186mm
    Diameter:52mm
    Axis collet Length: 48mm
    Diameter of Axis collect holder:16mm
    Repeat accuracy: 0.01-0.03mm
    ER11 collect: 3.175mm
    Power supply Specification:
    Input:AC110V/AC220V±10% 50/60Hz
    Output: DC48V 10A
    Adapter power: 480W
    Dimension:L130mm * W98mm * H38mm
    13pcs(13 size ) ER11 PRECISION SPRING COLLET set:
    Gripping Range 0.5MM to 7MM (3/128" to 17/64")
    Run-Out Tolerance 0.015MM (0.0006")
    First Class 1065 Carbon Steel
    Hardened & Precision Ground
    Wide voltage PWM DC brush motor speed controller:
    Applies to DC12-60V low voltage permanent magnet brushed DC motor
    Operating Voltage: Wide Voltage (DC) DC12V-DC60V (Max 65V)
    Control mode
    A: Default potentiometer control (5K-100K),defaults 10K;
    B: MACH3 -PWM speed control signal input, external PWM input requirements: level 3.5-12V VPP, frequency 1K-10KHZ, suitable for MACH3 spindle speed control.
    4. Rated current: 10A, overload and short circuit protection current 12A. (Over-current cut output, overcurrent indicator flashes, the potential light is off, overcurrent lift).
    5.soft-start function. Prevent excessive current caused by the motor and power damage (default 0 seconds soft start), 0-5 seconds adjustable.6.Control power: 12V120W, 24V240W, 36V360W, 48V480W, 60V600W7.Dimensions: Length 75mm * Width 75mm * high 42mm 8.Pulse width modulation range: 0% -100%
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

How fast did you expect it to run, most of these are just a regular DC brush motor, & are only good for 3,000 RPM to 12,000 RPM

The collet chuck is just mounted on a standard DC brush motor, these motors are not designed to be used as they are for a spindle
    yes i know that.. with the pot connected i get the right RPM's (3000-12000).. but when i control it from mach3 the speed is too match lower..

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Mach3's PWM output varies from 0-5V. If you're measuring it with a standard meter, it probably won't read the voltage correctly, as it's a pulsed signal.

If you really need a 12V PWM signal, then it's not going to work,

You might be able to use a board to convert the PWM to a steady voltage and connect it where the pot goes. If you connect the pot, what voltage is the pot sending at max rpm?
    I check out the voltage on the pot i get 0-5v on maximum speed .. and i think the only solution is that i get i board converter as you say , but i don't understand why they sell the MACH3 -PWM speed controller with set when isn't 'plug&play' .. or maybe we are missing something here..

Quote Originally Posted by pelo13 View Post
    but i don't understand why they sell the MACH3 -PWM speed controller with set when isn't 'plug&play' .. or maybe we are missing something here..
    They sell a lot of things that don't work as described, they also sell a lot of very good things as well, you have to carefully choose a good supplier as to what you buy, this is easier said than done,in most cases

Your problem seems to be what is coming out too your speed control, which is from Mach 3 through your Breakout board, try Mach 3 set in step/dir & measure the output from the Breakout board, you should have 0-5v You may have to do this through a different pin/output on your Breakout Board, if you are getting 0-5v, then it should only be a setting adjustment in Mach 3 to get the PWM to give you the 0-5v needed output, even try the pulley setting at 2

What Break out Board are you using
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

What Break out Board are you using

I use this one

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwI...ew?usp=sharing

i use pin 16 right now but i will try another pin as you suggested