586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Strange Request?

This is going to sound very strange so I will just tell it like it is..

My background was originally in toolmaking and during that time I ran a couple of cnc machines and also a vertical machining centre. I got a bit into operating EDMs and wirecutting machines, (Sodicks) As time went on my career took me into supervision and eventually management, where I have been for the past ten years.

I have kept my hand in as far as machining goes but not too much concerning cnc maching. Now here is my dilemma.

I have applied for a teacher/training position and I whilst I understood that my training is going to be provided, it turns out that to start with I have to sit a trade test. This does not bother me as I think I know my trade fairly well. The part that bothers me is that I have to also show basic programming and operating skills by programming and operating a Mori Seiki SL15 lathe with a Fanuc 15T control and also a Mitsui Seiki HS3A mill with a Fanuc 15m control. To be honest I have never used these exact machines or controls before and even though they are old and I have to program them using G and M codes, (no programming aides allowed) I am wondering if its possible to 'transfer' my cnc knowledge onto these machines without too much trouble. I have two weeks before the test and even though I have been sent a 'typical' program for both machines, I am starting to feel that it may all be a waste of time. I guess my question then is this: As most of my programmig has been around Mazak controllers would it be feasible for me to go into that room in two weeks time and put together a simple two tool (one roughing, one finishing) program, and to set the tools and offsets, then run the program without things going bang? I realise that this may sound quite ridiculous, but to teach apprentices has always been a dream of mine, (the financials of management have been a huge attracton that have kept me away before now) and I would really like to prove that I can do it and that I can quickly come up to speed.

Comments, suggestions and help very welcome.

If you have read this far, then thank you.

Alan.

Wish I could offer some advice but I dont have any experience. I wish you the best and hope it goes well. Im sure there are plenty of people on cnczone who will help you. Here's the Fanuc forum:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=304

The new machines have rapid override

That sounds like a bit of a challenge. Can you take any practice runs beforehand? That is what I would want to do, as I think the operational aspects of running the machine are probably a greater concern than the actual path programming.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Unfortunately no, I cannot do any practice runs beforehand. I believe that I get a half an hour to familiarise myself with the machine and tooling before starting. As yet, I have called several people I know to try and get a manual for the Fanuc 15T and 15M but as yet I am unable to locate one. I have been told that these controllers are reasonably old and not in use much any more. Is this so?
    One point that has just come to me is that if I am in this position is it likely that other candidates are in a similar position? I guess they might be. I will persevere as the end goal is well worth the effort.
    Thanks for the replies.

If you have programmed in G code on the Mazaks it should be not problem transfering over as regard Part programs, it will be just knowing the differences in machine, Unfortunately there can be some differences between 15s depending on how the OEM set them up.
    If you need a set of manuals, send me a PM with an email address.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, I will take up your very kind offer of the manuals. The PM is on it's way to you.

Warmest regards,

Alan

Why not be proactive ask them for a copy of the G and M code lists for these machines. If you want you can explain the even contols from the same manufacturer are different and the Machine OEM will have set some of the M codes. You can then prepare a standard start and tool change for each machine. Depending on the cycles once you have the codes you only need to lookup a couple on the day to say face and then turn or drill.

I actually called them Hursty to see what they would say and they not only sent me a full list of the G and M codes that I will be expected to know they even gave copies of programmes they will probably use for me to analyse. I have to say that they are very basic and not like I expected. For example, on the lathe I have to programme and set to do a face cut and rough cut the OD, change tools and then finish cut the OD. then thread cut a simple M20 X 1.5 thread. Thats it. On the mill I have to cut a roughing contour followed by a finish contour and then spot drill in a particular place, drill the hole and then tap an M8 x 1.25 thread in.
    Since getting this information, and also the manuals kindly sent to me from Al_The_Man I have gone from apprehensive to pretty darned, (but not overly,) confident.
    Apparently all I have to prove is that I have enough of of an understanding to at least start the training I will initially receive. I will let you know how I go, but since getting the help I have from this forum, I am one huge step closer to my dream.
    Thanks guys.
    Alan.