586,075 active members*
4,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wooden CNC Routers

Due to my illness and physical disabilities, i only have the use of my arms, in a wheel chair, I've been wanting to build a CNC router for twelve months or more, I'm not going to lie money is tight, but I've saved myself £900.
    I had seen the Sidewinder CNC on You Tube and sent for the plans. I mentioned this on another forum and the replies I got were unbelievable, but some were very helpful
    I work with ply and MDF so I'm happy using it, I'm no good with metal and things.
    im not going to be using it 8 hrs a day 7 days a week, I want it for engraving on a MDF etc.
    Please without bitting my head of could I have some valid comments, good or bad

Re: Wooden CNC Routers

There are quite a few wooden and/or MDF designs out there, and you can most certainly build a good, working hobby class machine using wooden structure. If my quick google search on Sidewinder CNC turned up the right machine, it's based closely on the machines at https://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx . These are at the low end of the hobby class machines in performance, but they do work. One thing I can tell you, from my own experience building a wooden machine of this type, is that you likely won't save a lot of money over the better kit machines like the ones at CNC Router Parts.

If the experience of building the machine from scratch is what you value most, then I'd advise you to go ahead as planned, but be prepared to scrounge parts and materials, hunt bargains, and above all, be patient. You do NOT have enough money saved to complete the project at this time, buying everything at the store. If, on the other hand, you want to use a CNC router, and that is the part you value most, then I'd recommend saving more, and investing in a good, proven kit. CNC Router Parts is the example I'll give, but there are other options.

The challenges of building any machine are not trivial, and working with a metal kit will be no harder than building a wooden machine as accurately and precisely as you'll need to. The performance of a well engineered, proven machine will be much better than a homebrewed one-off, but building that one-off can be extraordinarily rewarding, as I found out, designing and building my own, (wooden), machine.

Above all else, spend a LOT of time doing research on this forum. There's a staggering amount of information here, and many very knowledgeable people to help you along. The time spent studying here will save you money, time, and frustration down the road. There is no "one true path" in this game. Every path has its challenges and rewards. The trick is to pick the one that suits you, personally, best. Good luck, and have fun!

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello