586,119 active members*
3,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC kit ?(Plug n' Play)

Hello Everybody
    I'm planning the building of a 3' x 4' wood cnc router.
    I was looking for a "ready kit" to run my machine. I will be spending enough time I think with the construction, I'd like to have the electronic part as simple as possible. (aslo want to make sure I have no problem coming from that part of the machine)
    I'm thinking of a 4 axis controller (2 motor on the x-axis for a moving gantry).
    I was thinking of:
    xylotex: http://www.xylotex.com/4AxSysKit-425.htm

Any experience with this kit?
    Any other suggestion?

Thanks
    Romain

Xylotex was the best investment I made when I built my router, But my machine is not as big as the one your planning. If mine was as big as what your planning I'd go with servos. But you also need a lot of rigidity to use the power and speed of servos. I use ballscrews & linear bearings on mine it will do 60 ipm all day long. I could easily change the steps and go twice as fast but my router would not handle it unless I went with lighter cuts.

Unless you EXACTLY duplicate the PC, controller, electronics and/or mechanicals that someone else has predeveloped, there is no such thing as "plug and play" in DIY CNC.

Each new system, especially the computers, can have their own "issues" that have to be dealt with.

From my experience with CNC, if you want P&P, buy a commercial anything and even THEY need to have massaging most of the time....

my first router i used the xylotex kit. i was up and running the motors within a hour of opening the box!

another good kit, but it will cost more money and is in a very nice package prewired plug into the wall and printer port
    http://www.lowcostcncretrofits.com

go Xylotex

I have the 4 axis 425oz kit and I bought a SureStep kit from Automation direct for my big table. The setup of either was simple but really the best bet is Xylotex all the way! and it sets up with Mach3
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%