587,023 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Shell Mill Cutter v/s Shear Hog Insert Mill
Page 1 of 3 123

Shell Mill Cutter v/s Shear Hog Insert Mill

So.... was looking at NYCCNC's YouTube on the Shear Hog and was wondering how this works without the TTS setup. Also curious if the correct shell mill is doing sort of the same thing?

Tormach Shell Holder:
    31830 - TTS-1/2" Shell Mill Arbor

Shear-Hog on NYCNC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx1MZ_dqZVw

Anyone got some tips on this. I'm looking for something to help me clear away a large amount of stock.

Thanks,
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Shell Mill Cutter v/s Shear Hog Insert Mill

Not sure I see the advantage of spending the money for a special tool like that, given that the 1100 is quite capable of removing 3 cu. in./minute using something as simple as a $12 1/2" HSS endmill....

Regards,
    Ray L.

You would need to use one of their tts conversion collars epoxied to shank . Only other way is to mount in a er32 collet and this could produce a stacked tool run-out and or reduce z height.
    I got a kick out of this video a while back thinking he removed more metal in 2 minutes then I did on a complete project I did. This made a big pocket in a chunk of material and I made a couple soft jaw tool makers vises complete! I guess someday I will need to plow out that much material, right now I can machine stuff all day and end up with a handful of parts and a little swarf to clean up.

The Shear Hog looks pretty sick! Its size may make it somewhat impractical though. If you're doing manual tool changes, the time saved might not be worth the time/effort spent.

Here's a 5.7 cubic inch per minute video...
    https://youtu.be/I0JU47CLG8U

I think it's a great tool if you have a lot of aluminum to remove. I have built some larger L-brackets that required quite a bit of material removal, and being able to really push a HSS mill to get 3 cu in/min vs 6 cu in/min barely sweating with insert tooling, I would go the insert route.

Tormach also has a press fit collar now that is easier to install than the epoxy collar.(assuming you have a press to install it with). I made my own as my very first project to chuck a 3/4" indicator, worked great.

32432 - TTS Tool Conversion Kit

Hello everyone, as a professional machinist with lots of experience. I thought I would chime in. I don't have a tormach. But tooling is a specialty of mine. I am not a fan of specialty cutters. When I look at investing in insert tooling I always ask "what else can it do". There is no reason not to optimize what ever tools you have. But the larger companies have clear advantages in going with their systems "in for a penny, in for a pound". Don't be afraid to call these folks and get real data. Carbide sales professionals are usually happy to help and some have some nice warranties on the performance of their products. The limit on this type of machine is clearly HP. However, within that working envelope is a great deal latitude for optimisation. As far as Aluminum HSM this company has been one of the leaders for several years. I would bet that dollar for dollar this would be a better investment.

90-Degree Pocketing Aluminum - 0.250? DOC with Square Shoulder End Mill and XPET-ALU Inserts from Dapra : Modern Machine Shop

micheal

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    So.... was looking at NYCCNC's YouTube on the Shear Hog and was wondering how this works without the TTS setup. Also curious if the correct shell mill is doing sort of the same thing?

Tormach Shell Holder:
    31830 - TTS-1/2" Shell Mill Arbor

Shear-Hog, Anyone got some tips on this. I'm looking for something to help me clear away a large amount of stock.
    Shear-Hog, if you are doing a lot of aluminum, you won't find a better tool for the job, I have them up to 6" dia,They have been around a long time, have used them for more than 15 years, I find that I use 1-1/4" 1-1/2" the most, for Plastic or aluminum, with the same insert, it's a perfect tool, for low Hp machines, & has a very long insert life, for use with your TT system you could shrink a collar on the 3/4 shank to suit
    Mactec54

They don't even come close the the Shear Hog cutters, LoveJoy is another good choice for tooling as well, Dapra is around the same as Lovejoy, with Lovejoy being in the tooling business a lot longer
    Mactec54

Really?? as you have the experience I will concede to what the real world has shown you. My point was that this cutter seems limited to cutting aluminum only. There are LOADS of insert tooling available and I prefer to look for insert tooling that will do more than one thing, alloy, cut ,what ever. And at 6cui per hp I "thought" the 2 tools are about a push "in those specific examples" . with the Shear hog probably doing better because it is a more specific application. If you agree fine if you disagree fine. And after further research the Dapra can only ramp at 1 deg....ei not a great ramping tool. In the video notice the hole is magically already there. But perhaps better for other things? YMMV. My personal experience is Mitsubishi and Sandvik some Iscar and Walter and Manchester for grooving, but I was doing a lot of alloy steel, sst and exotics. Never worked with Lovejoy but you can never have too many resources. BOTTOM line? It pays (LITERALLY) to do your homework and ask the reps for help.

When you enter the world of very low HP for CNC you enter a different universe as to cutter usage. What the world sees as average could bog your machine to a stop. Asking for advice from a tool rep for your 1/1/2 hp cnc mill will not get you much help as they have little to NO experience in that world. They mostly would pass you off to someone else OR sell you something you really can't use effectively. NOW can insert tooling work well ?? Absolutely IF you can find tools to fit your HP application. AND can spend the $$$ to tool up.

The shear hog is a good example of a LOW HP volume cutter that is effective for the application for removing a volume of ALUM material as fast as possible.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    You would need to use one of their tts conversion collars epoxied to shank . Only other way is to mount in a er32 collet and this could produce a stacked tool run-out and or reduce z height.
    I got a kick out of this video a while back thinking he removed more metal in 2 minutes then I did on a complete project I did. This made a big pocket in a chunk of material and I made a couple soft jaw tool makers vises complete! I guess someday I will need to plow out that much material, right now I can machine stuff all day and end up with a handful of parts and a little swarf to clean up.
    I made some collars for 3/4 inch straight shank tools like a Shear Hog. I made my tool flanges from 6061 aluminum duplicated the tool flange on a TTS holder. I made the hole .002 to .003 smaller than the shank of the tool, then I will heat the flange with a torch until it fits on the shank of the tool, slide it down to where I want it and squirt it with a spray bottle to cool it. With .002 or .003 shrink fit, there's no way it's going to move. Now it works just like any other TTS holder.

I have a 1 inch Shear Hog, and I'll guarantee you, I can remove more material, faster than one can with the Super Fly fly cutter, AND I'll get a better finish.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Tormach is selling the shear hog with the TTS collar now. Picked one up yesterday at the open house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	288578

Quote Originally Posted by jonniemac View Post
    Tormach is selling the shear hog with the TTS collar now. Picked one up yesterday at the open house.

You left a couple of things out. What size is it (it looks like a 7/8) and how much was it?

I have a one inch Shear Hog, and it will move a lot of material in a hurry, I have said in the past, they don't make chips, they make CHUNKS.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I WANT IT!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

How much was it? What are they selling the inserts for?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

It's 3/4" ... No idea on the price of the inserts or the final price of the Shear Hog, they were doing open house cash and carry sales on some stuff so I paid $219

It's a shame they only went with the single insert, I guess that is a good starting point though, the 2 & 3 insert tools are better for finishing, are also a larger dia, the insert average price is $18.00 each, they last a long time if used correctly
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's a shame they only went with the single insert, I guess that is a good starting point though, the 2 & 3 insert tools are better for finishing, are also a larger dia, the insert average price is $18.00 each, they last a long time if used correctly
    You obviously haven't done any cutting with a Shear Hog. one insert on a Shear Hog at 4,000 RPM and 40 to 50 IPM will give you a way better finish than a Super Fly at 1,500 RPM and 12 IPM. AND, it won't beat your machine up because the spindle is out of balance. You can't run a Super Fly that fast.

I usually change my insert once or twice a year, and I do a lot of cutting with it. I typically use the .030 radius inserts. they have down to .010 and up to .125 corner radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    You obviously haven't done any cutting with a Shear Hog. one insert on a Shear Hog at 4,000 RPM and 40 to 50 IPM will give you a way better finish than a Super Fly at 1,500 RPM and 12 IPM. AND, it won't beat your machine up because the spindle is out of balance. You can't run a Super Fly that fast.

I usually change my insert once or twice a year, and I do a lot of cutting with it. I typically use the .030 radius inserts. they have down to .010 and up to .125 corner radius.
    It is obvious you have not read my posts,I have been using them long before you even knew about them, like for more than 15 years, so stop pretending 4,000 RPM for there single insert cutter you are only playing with it

what's a super fly,sounds like something you would want to swat

I'm only talking about AB Tools Shear Hogs, I have them up to 6" dia, they will also make them custom to whatever you want
    Mactec54

Looks like a solid tool for those who are working in 6061 or 7075! Still nursing a broken foot with torn ligaments/tendons etc. back to health here sooo I only get to see my machines from afar these days. Someday I look forward to finding some magic tool that will give me 3 + cubic inch/minute removal rates in 300 series stainless and/or grade 5 titanium (or greater). It's kind of like getting engaged to that hot potential spouse that cooks, cleans and has a high paying career with medical and retirement benefits- very elusive! The only aluminum that gets cut around here these days is for fixtures, soft jaws or when I occasionally break a pop-top on a beer can.

Hi Steve
    I have had superfly(s) catch a lip of a part and trash the part. Apparently it has been enough force to tweak the superfly and they never cut the same afterwards.
    I am in my third superfly. When doing wide surfacing with the superfly (3"+) I always get a line where the two cuts overlap. I always assumed this was that my machine was slightly out of tram but you brought up an unbalanced spindle. What would the cut look like if the spindle was unbalanced?
    Can one basically fly cut with the shearhog? I guess o am curious if the finish is any better than an insert face mill. I can't imagine the finish being better than the superfly ( on a less than 3" part, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

Page 1 of 3 123