586,119 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lathe Conversion Plans/Kits

Lathe Conversion Plans/Kits

Hey Guys and Gals;
    I have a Travers Tool 9 inch lathe that has been gathering dust for several years. It was replaced with a 13" Harbor Freight which has been in service as a manual lathe and has functioned very well for my hobby uses. However, that said, on my wish list is conversion of the 9" to cnc just to see if I will use it or would it continue to gather dust.
    I have a cnc mill and router with bobcad 25 and Aspire to design and make parts with. What is missing is plans or directions on how to proceed. I searched the benchtop forums for a lathe conversion thread but for some reason, I can't go back futher than a year. The search feature does not work on this computer past that date. Now with this boring and long winded introduction, I will post my question!
    Can anyone provide me with a direction for a cnc lathe conversion kit or plans. I'm not looking for handouts and will gladly remit payment when necessary. I would also enjoy reading some conversion threads if I could find them. I recall one good thread from several years back where one of our members actually converted a 9" lathe to cnc. It appeared to be fairly simple. I want to proceed with some direction rather than just plowing ahead so any direction/advice will be appreciated.
    Have a great day.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Lathe Conversion Plans/Kits

Good chance you'll have to design one yourself. Not too many lathe conversion kits out there, but it's pretty easy really.

Thanks for the response CD900. That's what I kind of figured! Oh well!!
    Have a good weekend.
    Bill
    billyjack

I have one of the ubiquitous 7x mini lathes. I looked around at the CNC conversion kits available. They either were to expensive or just made up of low quality parts. Figured I could do the conversion myself with minimal cost.

Here is my build...
    CNC Lathe

Maybe you can use some ideas on your conversion. Good luck.

I also have a build thread that might give you some direction:

8x14 Lathe build

Thanks CS! I read your thread last week and it is quite informative. Very good job!
    Bill
    billyjack