586,075 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > I am left out in the cold by Tormach
Page 1 of 14 12311

I am left out in the cold by Tormach

Just something to consider when deciding to use hobbyist machinery for production: I purchased a PCNC1100 last year with the intention of also getting the Duality Lathe. This was and still would be an ideal and very inexpensive solution for producing a specific item in our shop. Well, This year I go to purchase the Duality Lathe and it turns out that the lathe is not only out of stock but is actually discontinued without advance warning and with zero intention on the part of Tormach to make anything like it available in the future. So why not remove it from your site or list it as discontinued? The PCNC 1100 and the Duality Lathe was until recently a prominent offering by the company and they gave no indication at the time I purchased the Mill that they would be changing the availability of attachments. The PCNC1100 and Duality are a very unique offering. What bothers me the most and what should be of concern to others is Tormach's lack of commitment to maintaining a consistent product line and the fact that they could, but are completely unwilling to help me with a path to gain a functional equivalent to the Duality Lathe - even though they still have parts or are at least in the best position to help me buy, find or make the needed parts to adapt any other available small lathe. So, I won't go down the hobbyist machine equipment path ever again. This is not due to any flaw or deficiency in the equipment. I really like the PCNC1100 but I an worried about the fickle nature of this segment of the industry and this manufacturer when it comes to supporting industry rather than just hobbyists.

Re: I am left out in the cold by Tormach

Tormach has way more of a consistent product line then most importers of Chinese equipment. Look at Grizzly... they bring in machines for only a couple years, then discontinue them and offer limited or no parts support. And they are the largest importer of metalworking machinery in the US.

Looking at Tormach's competition (Syil, Novakon), you will find both of those companies have changed machines repeatedly over the past six years... during which time Tormach has continued to sell the same machine (PCNC1100).

Back OT, if you really have your heart set on a Duality lathe, I am betting that there are a number of individuals here who have one that would be willing to sell it to you, as it is just acting as a doorstop. Ask, and I bet you will find some one willing to sell. It seems that many people who own them don't really find them as useful as you seem to think they are.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

You're not missing out. The duality lathe is junk. It's a hobby, novelty setup at best. If you need to mill/turn parts, you're money and time ahead to do it on 2 machines or buy a lathe with live tools. The duality lathe was never designed or intended for production work.

For the same reasons you state, I was surprised that Tormach cut the cord so abruptly on the Duality. Perhaps it had something to do with marketing the new slant bed.

Many say the same about the entire Tormach product line. Though I don't agree. I have a production niche for the 1100/Duality. Why spend more for machinery than is needed? That was the argument at the time we bought the 1100. Well - now I know.

Again, you really want a duality lathe, someone here will be willing to sell you one.
    Tim

Unfortunately, I am in Government so my purchase options are limited. I can't buy used equipment from individuals. I haven't had any qualified company responses to "wanted" requests. But that is my problem. An uncharacteristic lack of customer support in this instance is Tormach's problem. But then again, I may be the only person with this type issue. I hope to find others. (i know this is not likely)

Wow. Companies often remove products from their lines - this has little to do with hobby level or pro level companies. You bought your machine a year ago and you expect Tormach to keep a product line (that was clearly a failure) around until you are ready to buy? You should have bought it then. Why don't you try and buy a Series 2 machine...oh wait, they discontinued those too. Maybe see if Ford still has a Pinto they will sell you...or maybe just the parts so you can build your own. Seriously, think about what you are complaining about....

Oh, I have a .gov email address too and we have bought used equipment with no problem. Maybe your procurement department is just lazy.

the surprise is they didn't drop it years back
    4th axis with a tail stock will do most any thing the pos would do.
    don't like that get an Omniturn GT75 with caxis and live tool a true inexpensive production machine
    now there is a stable product

LOL......I expect he's on a tight arsed budget and wants a silk purse from a sow's ear........metaphorically speaking.........surely, for a government acquisition, going to a hobby solution is like sourcing super pea shooters for the troops in 'ganistan........and how many do you want.....just the one?......last of the big spenders no doubt.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleoh9 View Post
    Wow. Companies often remove products from their lines - this has little to do with hobby level or pro level companies. You bought your machine a year ago and you expect Tormach to keep a product line (that was clearly a failure) around until you are ready to buy? You should have bought it then. Why don't you try and buy a Series 2 machine...oh wait, they discontinued those too. Maybe see if Ford still has a Pinto they will sell you...or maybe just the parts so you can build your own. Seriously, think about what you are complaining about....

Oh, I have a .gov email address too and we have bought used equipment with no problem. Maybe your procurement department is just lazy.
    I don't see any Series 2 machines for sale on the Tormach web site and I don't see any Pintos offered for sale at Ford but I do see the Duality Lathe offered for sale on the Tormach web site. I would have purchased it at the time I purchased the 1100 but it was listed as "out of stock" at the time. It should be listed as "discontinued" or removed from the website - just like the Series 2 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    LOL......I expect he's on a tight arsed budget and wants a silk purse from a sow's ear........metaphorically speaking.........surely, for a government acquisition, going to a hobby solution is like sourcing super pea shooters for the troops in 'ganistan........and how many do you want.....just the one?......last of the big spenders no doubt.
    Ian.
    Yes, I do try to get the best value out of public funds, just as I would my own. So, yes I want the least expensive solution to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    the surprise is they didn't drop it years back
    4th axis with a tail stock will do most any thing the pos would do.
    don't like that get an Omniturn GT75 with caxis and live tool a true inexpensive production machine
    now there is a stable product
    Actually we did look into the Omniturn but unfortunately that would require a two machine solution.

So ask Tormach if they will sell you a "refurbished" duality lathe, which maybe they could obtain from a customer that wants to get rid of it. Tormach is a small company, so they probably will be willing to work with you to make it happen. Lay out your problem and your limitations and see if they can come up with a workable solution.

I understand the pain of dealing with purchasing and contracting... Better Buying Power 2.0 ISN'T!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    So ask Tormach if they will sell you a "refurbished" duality lathe, which maybe they could obtain from a customer that wants to get rid of it. Tormach is a small company, so they probably will be willing to work with you to make it happen. Lay out your problem and your limitations and see if they can come up with a workable solution.

I understand the pain of dealing with purchasing and contracting... Better Buying Power 2.0 ISN'T!
    That was my first question to Tormach. They have no units to sell- good, bad used, refurb or otherwise. I do have feelers out elsewhere on used units but they are not as readily available as it seems they should be.

Tormach does have parts in stock that I would need to convert some other off the shelf unit but their poiicy is to hold those parts to service existing users. I would certainly agree with prioritizing existing owners. But why not offer me some assistance in working out a solution?

Part of the puzzle is that the Duality attachment is not fully supported by PathPilot and Tormach has no schedule to do so.

Could it just be that the duality was a sales flop - that happens. Nobody has a crystal ball. And when it does, often the best thing to do is supersede then discontinue.

Does anyone know how many duality's were sold?...... Keen

You have just described a boat anchor an orphan product that was dodgy at best when new.

it's time to move on come up with a different solution .

be grateful you aren't stuck with the orphan boat anchor.
    that's partly why they won't work to sell you one they want the pos gone not more of them out there

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Could it just be that the duality was a sales flop - that happens. Nobody has a crystal ball. And when it does, often the best thing to do is supersede then discontinue.

Does anyone know how many duality's were sold?...... Keen
    Low sales makes sense. Im sure there was discussion at Tormach about the impact of dropping the line. If sales were very low I suppose it makes sense to blow off a few customers for the overall good of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Markllar View Post
    Part of the puzzle is that the Duality attachment is not fully supported by PathPilot and Tormach has no schedule to do so.
    That surprises me! I was under the impression that the duality was supported. I played around a little with the configuration but I didn't test anything because I don't have the duality lathe. What part(s) of the functionality isn't supported?
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    That surprises me! I was under the impression that the duality was supported. I played around a little with the configuration but I didn't test anything because I don't have the duality lathe. What part(s) of the functionality isn't supported?
    Step
    Tormach told me 4 weeks ago that it was not supported in Pathpilot and they had no current plans to implement support. Perhaps they changed their mind.

Page 1 of 14 12311