586,062 active members*
4,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Mach3 Turn and SC7 post processor file

Mach3 Turn and SC7 post processor file

Hello,
    I converted my Grizzly lathe to CNC about 6 months ago and have been using the wizards that come with Mach 3 and NFS Turn wizards. They are ok but I have been wanting to use my copy of SC7 to bring in solid models and work with them to create more complicated profiles.
    I have searched the web and found a few post processor files to try with SC7 and Mach3 Turn but I can't figure out how to see them when I choose to post in SC7. The files I have found and downloaded all have an extension that is .spp. It seems that the post processor I use for my Tormach mill has a file with the extension .ppl and a file with the extension .spp. Does anyone know where the file with extension .ppl comes from?
    Thanks'
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Re: Mach3 Turn and SC7 post processor file

Gerry,
    When I first purchased SprutCAM 2006, Tormach offered two versions of the post processor. The .spp would work for many CNC machines and was dearer than the .ppl which would work for the Tormach only.
    However, I note that SC7 (I haven't upgraded) does list lots of machines but I haven't tried to select anything other than Tormach.
    Good luck,
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    Hello,
    I converted my Grizzly lathe to CNC about 6 months ago and have been using the wizards that come with Mach 3 and NFS Turn wizards. They are ok but I have been wanting to use my copy of SC7 to bring in solid models and work with them to create more complicated profiles.
    I have searched the web and found a few post processor files to try with SC7 and Mach3 Turn but I can't figure out how to see them when I choose to post in SC7. The files I have found and downloaded all have an extension that is .spp. It seems that the post processor I use for my Tormach mill has a file with the extension .ppl and a file with the extension .spp. Does anyone know where the file with extension .ppl comes from?
    Thanks'
    Gerry
    Do you have the "all posts" version of SC7 or the Tormach only version?
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Gerry,
    When I first purchased SprutCAM 2006, Tormach offered two versions of the post processor. The .spp would work for many CNC machines and was dearer than the .ppl which would work for the Tormach only.
    However, I note that SC7 (I haven't upgraded) does list lots of machines but I haven't tried to select anything other than Tormach.
    Good luck,
    Bevin
    Thanks Bevin
    I can select the "Lathe ZX" machine in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Do you have the "all posts" version of SC7 or the Tormach only version?
    Step
    I am thinking now that I must have the Tormach only version as the post processor list can only see the files with the .ppl extension.

Gerry

I am thinking now that I must have the Tormach only version as the post processor list can only see the files with the .ppl extension.
    Have you tried simply using the PCNC Post? This is based on the Mach3 post and has some lathe features built in - well at least the spp version does - maybe the ppl version also does. I found these entries in the spp (it can be opened with Notepad)

400: begin ! LatheFinish (G70/G73)
    401: begin ! Lathe roughing (G71/G72)
    402: begin ! Lathe grooving (G74/G75)
    403: begin ! Lathe thread (G76)
    163, 81: begin ! Lathe drill G74
    153, 288: begin ! Lathe deep drilling G74
    168: begin ! Lathe Tapping G84

Step

Have you tried simply using the PCNC Post? This is based on the Mach3 post and has some lathe features built in - well at least the spp version does - maybe the ppl version also does. I found these entries in the spp (it can be opened with Notepad)

400: begin ! LatheFinish (G70/G73)
    401: begin ! Lathe roughing (G71/G72)
    402: begin ! Lathe grooving (G74/G75)
    403: begin ! Lathe thread (G76)
    163, 81: begin ! Lathe drill G74
    153, 288: begin ! Lathe deep drilling G74
    168: begin ! Lathe Tapping G84

Step
    Yes I have. Some roughing ops seem to work but any finish ops go crazy in Mach3.
    Thanks Step
    Gerry

Yes I have. Some roughing ops seem to work but any finish ops go crazy in Mach3.
    Thanks Step
    Gerry
    Go crazy? That's a little difficult to diagnose but it sounds like you may have "Reversed Arcs in Front Post" set.
    Config-->Ports and Pins-->Turn Options tab. (Edit: that's the Config menu in Mach3, not Sprut).
    Step

Go crazy? That's a little difficult to diagnose but it sounds like you may have "Reversed Arcs in Front Post" set.
    Config-->Ports and Pins-->Turn Options tab. (Edit: that's the Config menu in Mach3, not Sprut).
    Step
    Sorry Step, you're trying to help and I'm being vague.
    Good point on the "Reversed Arcs in Front Post" setting. When I saw the tool paths in the preview window in Mach3 Turn I thought it could be that and changed that setting but it didn't help. Searching for more info on that setting and seeing other examples of what that setting does to change the way arcs are approached and followed my tool path preview did not quite match.
    Below is a screen cap of my preview screen.
    Thanks,
    Gerry
    Attachment 289634

Sorry Step, you're trying to help and I'm being vague.
    no problem! I've seen some wild curves that would just about fit your description but I modified the post to generate the appropriate code for me. The option I was referring to should have done the same thing but I didn't know it existed at the time.
    Your curves do look a little wild... My next suggestion would be the "IJ Mode" setting on the "General Config" (I think) dialog. I suspect that might do the trick.
    If not, my last idea would be to switch between diameter and radius mode. I'm guessing that might mess up the curves as well but probably not as much as on your screen shot.
    Step