I have Mach 3 on a mill and have used it on different small machines for years and have lost confidence in it. As for the actual cutting it works great. My problem has been just small bugs that pop out of nowhere. I have had the zero touch plate mysteriously stop working and destroy my bit, I have had just one motor spin on a slaved axis while jogging and damaged my bearings. My latest issue, is if I feedhold when a program is running and then decide to rewind the program and start over, jogging in step mode stops working. I have to restart mach 3 and then it works. My shuttle pro also mysteriously stopped working. I have actually had Mach 3 for years and was quite content with it for a long time, but I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm considering other options.

Mach 4 is completely new but whether it is reasonable or not, I have lost confidence in it as well because it was coming soon for years and when it finally came out it still seems to be in perpetual beta and the focus just seems to be bout having lots of features and not a solid reliable basic control. I hope I am wrong because it looks good. Then there is flash cut. I looks awesome any I keep reading about how reliable it is. However it costs $1300, which I think is a decent price considering the technical support, if it included spindle speed control. Nope, it will cost an extra $500 for a total of $1800. They also have a terrible excuse for a pendant. I have seen some decent reports of UCCNC but it appears to be in development. Then there is EdingCNC...I'm trying to figure out why this control is not more popular here in the states. What am I missing here? With the current exchange rate, one can get a 4 axis usb controller for $277 and $366 for the ethernet version and software is included. Lots of inputs output, 1-10v output for spindle control. The GUI looks good to me too. Lots of nice features and to me it is ideal that the software company also makes the hardware thus are forced to make sure they operate seamlessly when updates are made. lots of OEMS seem to use it in Germany and various contries, but nobody seems to use it in the US. Any thoughts? I have to find a new control for my build and it looks very good on the surface and pretty cheap too.