586,121 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Windows 10,,Who's done it ? and how does it work with BoB ?

Windows 10,,Who's done it ? and how does it work with BoB ?

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Re: Windows 10,,Who's done it ? and how does it work with BoB ?

jrmach.
    I've been doing some minor drawings in version 26 and thus far, no problems. The switch to win-10 has been transparent but I'm still waiting for the foot to fall.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Soo,
    I take it most are "gun shy" after the 8 debacle,lol

I'm waiting to see if it's a "Windows - Ooh Look We Fixed it Now!" like every second version or so since 95 and not like the intervening releases "Windows SNAFU", and "Windows FUBAR".
    I'm still on 7 and I'm waiting to hear if my "free upgrade" really is an upgrade, I've heard 10 is great for blogging, facebook, twitter, talking to if you're lonely and want to hear an annoying voice and all the other "important stuff".

I was buying a Hybrid SSDHD at Maplin today and the chap behind the counter asked me if I was running Windows 10, I said "No, I'm sticking to 7 for now", in the ensuing conversation he informed me that a DVD player and Media Player were no longer included and that some of the key components like Media Player are now offered for "Subscription"
    My take is that they're giving W10 away because over time they anticipate dipping their hand in your bank account to the tune of substantially more than the purchase price for a traditionally licensed OS,
    Nice!
    :-)

I installed windows 10 at home on my cad computer as soon as it was released. I've used bobcad on it a few times, and have yet to notice a difference when it comes to bobcads performance and stability.

If you are on 8, I would make the upgrade. If you are on 7, and want 10, don't let bobcad be the reason that you hold off on the upgrade. Also you can still roll back to your old OS if you find that it does not work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    I installed windows 10 at home on my cad computer as soon as it was released. I've used bobcad on it a few times, and have yet to notice a difference when it comes to bobcads performance and stability.

If you are on 8, I would make the upgrade. If you are on 7, and want 10, don't let bobcad be the reason that you hold off on the upgrade. Also you can still roll back to your old OS if you find that it does not work for you.
    From what I have read, you may have to reload some apps if going back to previous OPS, that don't sound like much fun

Maybe someone that has done it can give some info if it dumps Bobcad when going back

The problem of Windows 10 is not performance, it is its privacy settings that can seriously compromise your online security, you may easily get hacked with Windows 10, even after you manually alter the default settings. See this report.

You can read many such reports if you search the web.

My advice - stay away from Windows 10 until it offers a better security, if it will at all.
    A blacksmith

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I was buying a Hybrid SSDHD at Maplin today and the chap behind the counter asked me if I was running Windows 10, I said "No, I'm sticking to 7 for now", in the ensuing conversation he informed me that a DVD player and Media Player were no longer included and that some of the key components like Media Player are now offered for "Subscription"
    My take is that they're giving W10 away because over time they anticipate dipping their hand in your bank account to the tune of substantially more than the purchase price for a traditionally licensed OS,
    Nice!
    :-)
    very true, I never liked the windows media player anyways and have installed VLC on windows 10 and can comfirm it plays dvd and any other media just fien.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade right now, especially on my work machine. I'm waiting till later this year once the lunch bugs are at least somewhat ironed out.

Just curios if any more have upgraded to Windows 10 and using BobCAD? I'm using V27 and just bought a Mac Mini, installed Windows 8.1 with bootcamp, all is working great but was thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 if nobody is having problems.

Chuck

Windows 10 has loads of already activated privacy problems, as quantummachine points out. Here are some of them:
    Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to PCs, even if you don?t ?reserve? a copy | Ars Technica
    Windows 7 works very nicely--why change?

If you want to make your current copy of Windows stop nagging, here are some instructions. I've done this and shut off updates, the nag went away:
    https://fix10.isleaked.com/oldwindows.html

Steve

Win10 is working for me on my CAD machine running V27 Std and I did not have to reinstall. Many are put-off, rightly so I might add, by the automatic updates feature that cannot be turned off. I hope MS will address this. Did not know about the DVD and music player software issues. I have been using the excellent Media center product from JRiver for years... Let's hope MS will address the automatic update issue as it appears they are back on track with Win10 compared to the direction taken with Win8.X... As for subscription business models... I fear the entire software industry is headed in that direction...

Mike

I made the mistake Simulation runs way to slow .Can't wait to go back to Windows 7

JR;

I have V25 & V28 running on Windows 10 Pro Ver 1511, and upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro.

Yes Win 10 really likes to do automatic updates which can be an issue. On my version of windows, I can (and did) turn this off. I found both Win 8.1 and V10 to be huge improvements in stability over previous systems.

No, you cannot put a movie DVD in your machine and play it on your monitor without getting a player. (There are many free and fine media players. I use VLC's)
    However, you can watch BurrMan's and Al's videos on After Dark and You Tube all day long.

I have found the biggest issues with upgrading isn't the operating system, but the availability of drivers and such for attached devices. These have to be available from the company that made your device. You really need to understand if all of your devices are windows 10 ready before you take the leap. As examples, items such as video cards, fancy mice, and some printers can be an issue. If you use you computer for just about everything, note that some software just cannot run on 64bit systems with certain processors (CPU's) (Windows Streets and Trips comes to mind). But this really isn't an operating system issue...

So, why did I upgrade? It was free. (smile)
    Why did I upgrade when I did? I had the time to deal with any issues that might pop up.
    Would I upgrade again? Yes if it was free and I had the time to deal with issues.
    Is there a need to upgrade from V8.1? No.
    Is Win 10 much different than 8.1? Not really ( I have made many modifications to home screen to meet my tastes).
    Did Win 10 install have a method to revert? Yes, in fact I can still go back to Win 8.1 if I so choose.

JR, the big questions are:
    1) What operating system are you upgrading from?
    2) Do you have the original media (and the time) if you need to go back to previous version of windows?

-ShortTrack

I did the Simulation in v-28 Demo and it worked great did a repair to my V-27 and it got faster So. maybe I will stick with Wndows 10

I ended up staying with 7

If it ain't broke,don't fix-it attitude

Went to 10, everything slower, even the boot up, BobCAD simulation also slower, went back to Win 7 Pro and all is well again, might try it again when they have brought a couple of Service patches out