586,075 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > I like my superfly, but prefer my facemill

I like my superfly, but prefer my facemill

I'm not trying to put down the superfly but, just wanted to share my experience and thoughts on it. I had bought the superfly when I first bought the Tormach because videos and reports indicated it was the best solution for a Tormach. I tried out a 2 inch lovejoy 4 insert facemill with octagonal inserts designed for cutting aluminum I thought I had previously lost. I was much happier with the cuts. It cuts smoother especially on deeper cuts and holds tighter tolerances on the depth. My main gripe with the superfly which is not exactly as surprise, is the hammering action of the interrupted cut. It can take some pretty impressive cuts, but it just sounds terrible and I'm not comfortable with all the vibration with the possible negative effect on spindle bearings. I still think the superfly is a great tool and can leave a better finish on a light pass, but if I find the facemill overall more useful for my purposes.

Re: I like my superfly, but prefer my facemill

I have a 2.5" face mill and I like it for the same reasons....
    mike sr

Now I have to find 3/4 arbor with 3/4" shank to use with the TTS collet.

FYI on this, I've talked with AB Tools about doing a two or three insert Shear Hog face mill similar to the new single insert one I just got
    TTS Shear Hog Insert End Mill

They indicated that if we can get Tormach interested that they would be willing to design and set us up with a 1.5" or 2" version. Based on how well the Shear Hog has worked I'm ready to place a pre-order with Tormach!

Should I start a poll page or something?

Later,
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

They indicated that if we can get Tormach interested that they would be willing to design and set us up with a 1.5" or 2" version. Based on how well the Shear Hog has worked I'm ready to place a pre-order with Tormach!

Please don't! My lust for new tools is out of control I didn't even know they had a TTS version of the shear hog already...

Thanks for posting. I am on my third superfly and am finally throwing in the towel and bought a tormach 1 1/2" face mill. The first two superflys bit it by catching an edge of a part and tweaking the fly arm. One was my fault for not holding down the part and one was due to the flex and eccentricity of the Fly cutter.
    It works best for simple small plate surfacing but I am going to just face mill from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    I'm not trying to put down the superfly but, just wanted to share my experience and thoughts on it. I had bought the superfly when I first bought the Tormach because videos and reports indicated it was the best solution for a Tormach. I tried out a 2 inch lovejoy 4 insert facemill with octagonal inserts designed for cutting aluminum I thought I had previously lost. I was much happier with the cuts. It cuts smoother especially on deeper cuts and holds tighter tolerances on the depth. My main gripe with the superfly which is not exactly as surprise, is the hammering action of the interrupted cut. It can take some pretty impressive cuts, but it just sounds terrible and I'm not comfortable with all the vibration with the possible negative effect on spindle bearings. I still think the superfly is a great tool and can leave a better finish on a light pass, but if I find the facemill overall more useful for my purposes.

Thanks for posting. I on my third superfly and am finally throwing in the towel and bought a tiavj 1 1/2" face mill. The first two superflys bit it by catching an edge of a part and tweaking the fly arm. One was my fault for not holding down the part and one was due to the flex and eccentricity of the Fly cutter.
    It works best for simple small plate surfacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    FYI on this, I've talked with AB Tools about doing a two or three insert Shear Hog face mill similar to the new single insert one I just got
    TTS Shear Hog Insert End Mill

Later,
    Awall
    Count me in. I'd go for either a 1 1/2 or a 2 inch Shear Hog face mill.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thanks for posting. I on my third superfly and am finally throwing in the towel and bought a tiavj 1 1/2" face mill. The first two superflys bit it by catching an edge of a part and tweaking the fly arm. One was my fault for not holding down the part and one was due to the flex and eccentricity of the Fly cutter.
    It works best for simple small plate surfacing.
    That's another point I forgot to mention. I often flip parts over and just machine the bottom flat and sometimes "catches" the edges when there's a little material over hang. The face mill I'm using has a significantly lower chance of being damaged from this. I think the superfly is actually quite expensive for what it is too.

After many years of using other fly cutters I have been pretty impressed with the Superfly. I have only used it on aluminum so far. A face mill would be nice, but hard for me to justify the expense since I am not doing a lot of production work.

I have lots of inserts so I will keep using it. I ran my superfly for 3 hours straight yesterday facing solid bar less than 3" and it works well for that.

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    After many years of using other fly cutters I have been pretty impressed with the Superfly. I have only used it on aluminum so far. A face mill would be nice, but hard for me to justify the expense since I am not doing a lot of production work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Count me in. I'd go for either a 1 1/2 or a 2 inch Shear Hog face mill.
    We just shipped six 2" Shell Mill Shear Hogs to Tormach for them to offer to customers. If they sell they will want more!

https://instagram.com/p/6po2KXh7KS/?taken-by=alfredlyon