586,075 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Questions

I installed a new tank for my 1100 about 2 months ago, just a plastic container like many use. It has worked well. I used WS-5050 for coolant from several recommendations here. I am getting what appears like a layer of dried paint on top of the coolant when it sits. Again, this is about 2 months old. What is it? What can I do to prevent it? I think I also get some skin irritation from the WS-5050 so I am thinking of switching to maybe qualities 251c or something.

Open to all suggestions.
    Donald

With the research i did, koolmist was the most benign. I am chemically sensitive and it hasn't bothered me unless it is all day of machining and then it is a little irritating to my eyes but not much. It has worked well for my machining.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    I installed a new tank for my 1100 about 2 months ago, just a plastic container like many use. It has worked well. I used WS-5050 for coolant from several recommendations here. I am getting what appears like a layer of dried paint on top of the coolant when it sits. Again, this is about 2 months old. What is it? What can I do to prevent it? I think I also get some skin irritation from the WS-5050 so I am thinking of switching to maybe qualities 251c or something.

Open to all suggestions.

Re: Coolant Questions

I use only Blazocut 2000 Universal in my machine. That's all I have ever used anything else. and I don't have shin irritation issues and the paint is not peeling off my machine.

I pay about $160.00 for a 5 gallon pail of coolant, but a pail will last me 9 to 10 months.

I have been using Blazocut for 15 or 16 years and have had a skin issue.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

The sludge on top of the oil is probably the waste way oil from the mill reacting with the coolant. There are a number of skimming devices that will remove that waste oil from the surface of the coolant (at a cost). A cheaper alternative is using absorbent pillows of fabric that float on top and remove some/most of the oil. I bought some from Tormach a few years back, don't know if they still stock them..

As for the best coolant to use, you will get almost as many recommended products as responses posted. Everyone seems to have a different favourite. Try the Tormach recommendation. They seem to evaluate every product they sell.

I've been using WS-5050 for several years now, never once cleaned the sump, and don't have anything like that. My guess is the Rustlick is attacking the paint, and it re-congeals in the sump, making that skin.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well I picked up some of blast it 2000 to try. Hope it works better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donald

If by Blastit 2000 you mean Blazocut 2000 I think you'll like it.

I cut aluminum, stainless, titanium , inconel, brass and plastic and the Blasocut is all I use.

When I cut stainless, inconel or titanium I fatten up the mixture some.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Yes sorry. iPhone butchered my post.

What color is it? What ratio should I start with? How to mix 10-11 gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donald

For aluminum, I startt at 6%. I don't bother cleaning the tramp oil. When it gets up to about 15%, I'll pump the tank and dump it down the drain.

If I cut other than aluminum, I'll run it at 12 to 15%

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Yes sorry. iPhone butchered my post.
    It's not the tool, it's the operator <g>.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I'll pump the tank and dump it down the drain.
    Not terribly concerned for the environment, eh?