I've been told I can do a simple point to point motion control system (1 axis) using the rs232 command into the dyn4 drive from an arduino micro controller. Has anyone here done this? It looks like its doable, just some programming I'm not familiar with yet. So far I like the dyn4 drives and motors I have in my plasma table build and am looking at using them in my press brake retrofit.

What I am trying to do, or find a way to do, is control my electric crowning axis on my press brake. I have found a 6 axis controller that will run the rest of the press brake very nicely but it runs out of room to do the crowning as well, so the plan is to set that up as a standalone axis and control. Basically a servo motor turns a shaft that has several different pitch threaded rods that move several wedges in and out to bow or flatten the bottom die to account for deflection of the upper ram on long bends. Not changed on every bend and not used on every job.

What I want or need is this;
-servo with brake attached to axis
-a digital readout of current position on control console,
-number pad on console to be able to enter a dimension and then a push button to make it goto that entered dimension
-another pushbutton to make the axis home of a prox switch for dead flat position
-possibly a pair of buttons for jogging

It sounds like the Arduino can use the rs232 communication direct with the drive and ask for current position and command it to a new position. One thing I'm not positve about yet is how to handle the home routine and also am not 100% on the communication routine either yet.

If anyone has done something like this or can offer info on this would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the cheap 1 axis cnc controllers from China and while they would probably work, #1 they are right from china, #2 they do alot of other stuff I don't need like G code programming that will just wind up confusing anyone but me that might run the machine.