586,094 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP3000 not booting up - HELP

OSP3000 not booting up - HELP

I have an old Okuma lathe with OSP3000 control and the monitor option. When turning the control on about a week ago the indicator lights on the control all stayed lighted up and the monitor shows a bunch of Japanese or alien characters on it. The main memory board with the batterys had an alarm light on which reads "bit 1 error" next to the light, and the control power supply had a parity alarm. According to the manual this means the exec software has been corrupted and needs to be reloaded. Following the instructions in the manual we not able to get the exec tapes to load. So i bought a used memory board and installed it. We first powered on the control and the same alarm lights were on at the board and power supply. We then loaded the exec tapes without any trouble and both of the alarm lights went away. But the control is still in the same state. Just lights up and monitor comes on and thats it.I have switched a few of the boards with spares that i have to no avail. Also just bought and installed a used board which connects the control to the panel, same thing.

I am absolutely stumped. And im almost out of time for a job which can only be ran on this big lathe. I have talked to Hartwig but they have no advice for a machine that old.

Somebody out there has to know the ins and outs of these old controls. I need some help fast!

Re: OSP3000 not booting up - HELP

switching other old boards does not guarantee a fix. those old machines were scrapped because they were unreliable and became faulty too often. your swapped boards are probably faulty too. its almost certainly a board fault. the only way to fix it is to fault find the logic/RAM and other parts..... and there are thousands of them, and any one of them could be bad. or dozens of parts could be bad.
    assuming the machine is worth it (i.e. not worn out beyond repair) it would be easier to retro-fit a modern control into it or some other PC-based solution.
    or get someone local involved who knows how to repair PCBs at the component level.
    I realize its not what you want to hear, but this is the reality of it.....

I think we have targeted the problem. The memory board i bought also is bad. My maintenance man was able to find bad ram chips on our origional board and a bad processor. He also found that both processors on the used board i purchased are bad. You are right about buying used boards, its a crap shoot.

My guess is that our origional board would not load the exec tapes because of the bad ram chips, since the code is stored to the ram it would stop reading the tape as soon as it started to try and write the info into the ram. And it would not boot up because of the bad processor. The purchased board will load the exec tapes since the ram chips are good but will not boot the control up since the processors are bad.

ok so swap parts and/or buy some parts and swap them over and you'll be good to go.
    when repairing be careful with old boards. Make sure you get someone fixing it who knows
    how to properly remove and replace components on a PCB. Otherwise it'll just make it worse.

Hi all
    I have same problem with my LC 20. Its in this condition for past 3 months, and I was started to lose hope I will solve anything. My problem is that I can not find tape anywhere...
    Can someone help me with this issue ?

Thank