587,499 active members*
5,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

Hybrid View

Re: 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

how have people that have done the electric fan mod wire the fan? Do you wire it into the panel some how, or just simply give it it's own power and switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    how have people that have done the electric fan mod wire the fan? Do you wire it into the panel some how, or just simply give it it's own power and switch?
    In my case the spindle nut (PDB) and motor fan balance was the key issues in reducing noise, this also greatly improves finish.

The Fenner belt was noisy when it was new.

I can talk on the phone now while the machine runs at max rpm, couldnt do that when the machine was new.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    Anyone ?? Is there a switched supply that maybe comes on with the spindle power (not spindle turning) ??
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Anyone ?? Is there a switched supply that maybe comes on with the spindle power (not spindle turning) ??
    On the VFD, put a 24VDC relay from connections T1 and B3. B3 will have 24vDC on it whenever the spindle is moving, so the relay will be powered as long as the spindle is turning. You can use that relay to turn on and off the spindle fan (don't try to power a 24V fan directly off of the B3 terminal... bad things will happen).

These are the same terminals that the ATC uses as an interlock to prevent tool change to a moving spindle. And the same terminals that some people have used to make a safety interlock to prevent dropping a tool with the PDB while the spindle is turning.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1459808
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

PDB pushbutton safety

works exactly as stated and has here for a year or so. I put a 24 volt relay in series with the push button tool release, I dont have the tool changer.
    This has saved many tools and aggravation here.
    mike sr

I was originally thinking of something that would keep the fan running even without the spindle so that it can be pulling heat even during tool changes etc. (I have power toolbar but no tool changer) but this should be good anyway. now to find a way of getting wires back there (every once in a while I regret putting the machine tight into a corner....)
    Thanks
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    I was originally thinking of something that would keep the fan running even without the spindle so that it can be pulling heat even during tool changes etc.
    Get a 240V muffin fan and wire it directly (with an inline fuse) off the C2 contactor output. Any time the VFD is powered up, the fan will turn.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Get a 240V muffin fan and wire it directly (with an inline fuse) off the C2 contactor output. Any time the VFD is powered up, the fan will turn.
    sorry for digging up an old thread.... When it comes to electronics, I am a complete dummy. why a 240v fan as opposed to a 220v or 230v ? Also, what size and type of inline fuse do you recommend?