586,094 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?
Page 1 of 3 123

Exclamation 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

*67 DB at 5100 RPM , it's nice to be able to hold a conversation next to the mill while it's running (Picture on my Instagram)
    *Probably not 2x better surface finish, but better non the less.
    *2x the cooling (air flow)
    *Cooling while the Spindle motor is off
    *Along with around 1/8" (on the power gauge) less power being used at 5100rpm.

I'll also be going to a Fenner Belt soon to try and make this even better, but..

Hi Brad
    So glad you are posting what you have been up to on cnczone.
    Very cool. Your tormach is like a hot-rod (or go-cart) you keep tweaking to be a faster and better machine.
    Keep it up!
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Along with around 1/8" (on the power gauge) less power being used at 5100rpm. I'll also be going to a Fenner Belt soon, but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47-4Y_RyPE

Re: 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

Thanks Nathan! The Tormach got mad at me for getting the Robodrill, so it decided to crap out all it's bearings, lol.

84 db @ 5300 rpm here but I use the fenner belt. I cant get as low a reading as you do but part of it may be due to the fenner belt.

I can talk on the phone and carry on a conversation without yelling though while the machine runs.

edit: I installed several of these vfd drives on high horsepower units though and we used electric fans on all of those as they wouldnt cool very well at low rpm.

Good idea on the electric fan!
    mike sr

What are you guys doing to check your dB level on your machines? My series 3 has always seemed very quiet to me (even at 5100 RPM, which I seem to run at most of the time on Al).

I would be happy to check my number if there is a standard procedure or phone app or something simple you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    What are you guys doing to check your dB level on your machines? My series 3 has always seemed very quiet to me (even at 5100 RPM, which I seem to run at most of the time on Al).

I would be happy to check my number if there is a standard procedure or phone app or something simple you're using.
    I use a Radio Shack DB meter, its relatively accurate on other uses.
    I check mine at about 16 " from the spindle door, oprerator side, about shoulder high.
    Manual spindle setting, wide open 5140 rpm.
    Reading on the correct scale is 84 DB
    There are several scales on this meter that overlap, the correct one has to be set or it will give an erroneous reading.

There may be a phone app, I dont know......
    mike sr

Just ran a test on my PCNC1100.

82.5 dBA with the fan installed.
    80.0 dBA with the fan removed.

The noise level by ear was noticeably lower but not as dramatic as I was hoping for.

Phil

Installing a full enclosure would cut sound level considerably if that is a concern. I would also suggest changing the controller to Path Pilot and a mesa card. This would also improve the mills accuracy, finish and overall operation even more.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    changing the controller to Path Pilot and a mesa card... would also improve the mills accuracy, finish.
    Improve accuracy and finish ???

[The Tormach got mad at me for getting the Robodrill, so it decided to crap out all it's bearings, lol. ]
    Can I ask the age of machine & hours on the bearings you replaced? Were there finish issues with it before changing, or just noise?

I am excited by the remote fan eliminating the balance issues with it being with the fan not being attached to the motor more than the noise reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post

The noise level by ear was noticeably lower but not as dramatic as I was hoping for.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I am excited by the remote fan eliminating the balance issues with it being with the fan not being attached to the motor more than the noise reduction.
    Yes but if the noise reduction doesn't materialise will the other improvements. Please report back on your experience.

Phil

I balanced the motor fan, and shock mounted the motor, also modified the belt takeup to hold the belt taught without tightening the motor plate solid to the machine which would defeat shock mounting.
    Installed a Fenner belt
    Balanced the PDB nut

The machine now runs with very little perceptible vibration and is quieter, the Fenner belt raised the noise level when it was new, but has quieted down with use, the finish is as good, no vibrations show in the finish @ 5140 rpm, which is where I run it 95 percent of the time.

The machine is much quieter than when it was new.

I did add a shield to direct coolant away from the lower spindle bearings.

I dont know if PathPilot finishes are better, but the steppers are smoother sounding, and best of all it hasnt made a miscue yet!!!
    mike sr

I also balanced my 1100 Series 3 motor pulley, spindle pulley, and power draw bar nut.

Attachment 290600

Attachment 290602

Attachment 290604

I wanted to get the motor balanced, but it was too expensive.

David

Phil
    Time for bearings!!! Did you watch the vid? I have new spindle bearings and spindle MOTOR bearings. Also have Rubber between Motor and casting.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Installing a full enclosure would cut sound level considerably if that is a concern. I would also suggest changing the controller to Path Pilot and a mesa card. This would also improve the mills accuracy, finish and overall operation even more.
    Path Pilot, bwahahaha, sorry, been down that road (anyone want my path pilot) All that did was SLOOOOW everything down, so basically any improvement that it made, COSTS money, if you use the machine to MAKE money. For a hobbiest with nothing to do, sure, it's a good upgrade - sort of.. still has no Drop Box or other apps support (like FSWizard, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by snovak240 View Post
    [The Tormach got mad at me for getting the Robodrill, so it decided to crap out all it's bearings, lol. ]
    Can I ask the age of machine & hours on the bearings you replaced? Were there finish issues with it before changing, or just noise?
    Machine is January 2013, hours we have no clue as Mach has no clue and been reloaded mid life. I used it for production, on well over 30,000 parts tho. Just noise, as the parts I was doing were engraving, and you can't see vibration in an engraving really. That's why know Philbur's bearings are going out, his is loud with no fan.

-------

Here is the method we used to check it.https://instagram.com/p/6fzFZ8lUNH

Whether you like this MOD or not... this is the best thing I have done in my garage to reduce noise, I now SMILE when using the Tormach (yep, if you know me... then you know it's a REALLY good thing) Results may vary, as it's MADE IN CHINA... but I don't see why you can't be in the 70db range no matter what.

Pull your spindle motor out and do like I did in this video. https://instagram.com/p/6YFPMJFUK8

Maybe you have bad spindle MOTOR bearings? Take a look at how Tormach China balances their rotors... https://instagram.com/p/6YHUOkFUPC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindle.jpg  

Surface Finish = Vibration - You ever used a mill before? Never said anything about Accuracy...
    Read my post CAREFULLY and then apologize.
    Step

oh haha, ok. I'm sorry. I'm with you. Read too fast. I owe you a beer.

Time for bearings!!! Did you watch the vid? I have new spindle bearings and spindle MOTOR bearings. Also have Rubber between Motor and casting.
    your instagram says:

"67 db and WAY less vibration at 5100rpm with my new patented #tormach #electricfanmod @tormach I'll take 5% royalties from this going forward, thanks! #torm #tormachmill"

So is it the fan mod that reduces the noise to 67 dBA or is it replacement of motor and spindle bearings. I don't see how Tormach could apply the bearing change mod?

I would love to reduce my noise but changing bearings every six months isn't going to hack it. It seems that others get slightly higher dB readings than me with the motor fan running so I think it's possibly a little premature to conclude my bearings have gone.

I don't doubt your 67 dBA, I'm just struggling to understand which part of your modification achieved it.

Phil

PS: Anybody else want to do a noise run with the motor fan removed?

your instagram says:

"67 db and WAY less vibration at 5100rpm with my new patented #tormach #electricfanmod @tormach I'll take 5% royalties from this going forward, thanks! #torm #tormachmill"

So is it the fan mod that reduces the noise to 67 dBA or is it replacement of motor and spindle bearings. I don't see how Tormach could apply the bearing change mod?

I would love to reduce my noise but changing bearings every six months isn't going to hack it. It seems that others get slightly higher dB readings than me with the motor fan running so I think it's possibly a little premature to conclude my bearings have gone.

I don't doubt your 67 dBA, I'm just struggling to understand which part of your modification achieved it.

Phil
    If you had a new machine this mod would give you the lower sound and vibration hands down. They can't "apply" the bearing change mod, however they can sell an electric fan kit. No matter what, with no fan, you will have less vibration and less sound. Minimal as it may be if YOU have other issues, but it's still an overall improvement on tormach's design. No way around that. More airflow, cooling when spindle is off, better cooling when machine is at low rpm, Lower power used by the spindle motor, etc. There is NO negative to this...

Spindle motor bearings have .. little load on them due to a belt, so it's hard to really tell if they are bad unless you do my above test.

Ok, try this... make a sharpie mark on your spindle preload nut and spindle shaft. Now, tighten it 1 sharpie mark. (so they are JUST miss-aligned) - put everything back together. Notice anything? I have about 3/8" slack in my belt, more slack and it gets quieter yet, but then you lose grip.

Fan is superior if you have good bearings - hands down - I can put the fan back on, do a DB test, then take it back off and test again (on video) if that makes you feel better?

My ambient noise level here is 62 63 db with nothing running but the computer fan, in an insulated garage. This is on the 60 db scale.
    mike sr

Page 1 of 3 123