586,103 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to CNC

New to CNC

Hello everyone,

Me and my business partner are new to CNC and are trying to get info on making our first purchase. We do mostly custom woodworking and outdoor products. Right now we are torn between the Axiom 6 pro and the Laguna IQ-hhc. They both look the same but wasnt sure if one was better and why. any help would be greatly appreciated and cant wait to dive in.

Re: New to CNC

HI,

Nice to read about you and your business with CNC. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjones28 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Me and my business partner are new to CNC and are trying to get info on making our first purchase. We do mostly custom woodworking and outdoor products. Right now we are torn between the Axiom 6 pro and the Laguna IQ-hhc. They both look the same but wasnt sure if one was better and why. any help would be greatly appreciated and cant wait to dive in.
    Similar situation here. We are looking at the Axiom AR8 or the Shark. Axiom seems better than the shark.

Personally I would look at which one has the most Once per Inch available for the motors.
    Artistic 3D Relief Work for CNC http://www.cncproductionwork.com

The ounce-inch ratio (holding torque) is only one number to consider. What's more important than holding torque is the ability to spin fairly fast with reasonable torque. In steppers, torque falls off rapidly as they go faster. The most important number is the inductance, in milli-Henrys (mH) which gives you an idea how much voltage is required to spin the motor at top speed, using the formula (32* squareroot of mH = voltage) If that's too high, then you will blow up your drives before getting anywhere near top speed. The running torque is governed by the amperage rating of the motor; the higher that is, the more torque it will have.
    Andrew Werby
    Website