586,036 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Allen Bradley ultra3000 drive/motor issue

Allen Bradley ultra3000 drive/motor issue

So I have a AB ultra 3000 dsd-010 hooked up to an AB mpl-a420p-h, I have selected the motor for the drive in the configuration software, when I try to tune the motor is either very jumpy or it will whine while holding still. The drive is under rated for the motor but in the book it shows this motor being able to use a drive that doesn't provide enough juice for the motors full output potential. When I run feed back diagnostics/tests it passes all of them, with manual shaft rotation. Any ideas on what could possibly be causing this, or maybe what I'm not doing to get it to work?

Re: Allen Bradley ultra3000 drive/motor issue

I found that there is a pin on the motor feedback connector that is a reserved pin, it's there and connected to something on the encoder, but the cable that I have which is an RSI cable, does not have that pin, the drive has only one reserved pin and I'm betting those two hookup. The motor connector actually list a couple reserved pin locations but they don't have the pin even present. where as this reserved pin is there and the wire goes into encoder plug in. My guess is it's some kind of handshaking. I couldn't get drive communication without a special cable.....

Most often that is for an encoder with an index output (one pulse per index mark). Most drivers do not use index marks for positional feedback. If the motors are brushed DC and the encoders are standard optical quadrature output units then its normal to get a whine when they are holding . That is because they bounce back and forth between line counts hundreds of times per second. The "tighter " (higher gain) the higher the frequency. You tune for high gain and use the Integral control to stabilize the feedback look. The important things is how the motor / driver reacts to a disturbance in the motor position. As always the vendor is the best source on motor tuning procedures and encoder connections

thanks for the response, so this particular encoder does have an Index pulse, IM+ and IM-, which the drive also has those same pins. however the drive has ONE reserved pin, the motor has several listed, but only one actual pin in a reserved spot, my guess is that its for sometime of handshake, the pinout does not state what it is. the cable i have, i just found out is not for an AB motor, so i will be echanging the motor for a different type of connector, i already have the correct AB cable for the other type of connector. oh well.
    the motor didnt always whine, it held without noise but would be jumpy sometimes, and while trying to autotune is when it would whine. the reserve pin may have something to do with commutation, although the pins S1 S2 S3 are all accounted for. commutation was the only diagnostics that failed, i could never get the motor to rotate smoothly. the motor feedback tests all passed except commutation, those tests were done with manual shaft rotation.
    again, all the pins on the drive side were connected to everything that the motor had to offer, except the one pin, number 8, which is reserved,pin 7 on the motor is reserved also, but there isnt actually a pin there. ill know more, in about a week or so.

the motors are brushless AC servos. 2000line increm encoders. the Ultra3000 drives offer an Indexing version for standalone automation.