586,106 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > mc-68 treadmill spindle control

mc-68 treadmill spindle control

hello, this is a huge long shot but here goes-
    I am struggling with this spindle speed control and wanted to throw it out for possible suggestions.

Old 12" atlas lathe...2 axis CNC retrofit working great with ballscrews and linear rails.
    Using Linuxcnc software.
    No spindle motor with purchase so cobbled up treadmill motor to machine.
    Built counter-shaft which gears down the 4000rpm motor to 1000.
    For years have been manually changing speeds at the spindle, the treadmill 5k pot.

Got different breakout board that looks a lot like this one:
    Attachment 290844

This MC-68 motor driver seems to control the 0-90V DC motor with a 0-10V circuit which is varied as the pot is turned.
    3 wires, black, white (wiper), red.
    I can successfully control the motor from 0-453rpm if I wire the P1-PWM to white and PCGND to black knife of MC-68 board.
    (pins are at bottom edge to the right of linked pic)
    but that is only half-voltage available (4.53v) kind of like a regular 0-5v pin being maxed out. It will increment nicely using MDI, but only up to 453rpm.
    I just don't get to use the hi end of the spindle.

So I tried wiring those black and white terminals on the MC-68 to the 0-10v pwm pins that are on the right and bottom part of pic linked (which is labeled Speed control output, joint freq converter)

This configuration gives me a steady 10 to 0 volt ouput but this is inverted from what I need.
    I turn it off and it goes 1000 rpm. Put it on hi it goes slow. All the voltage outputs are backwards.

Any attempts at helping me figure this out would be appreciated!

Re: mc-68 treadmill spindle control

This issue has been resolved, it was a matter of inverting the output pin in my .hal file in linuxcnc.
    I am now using the 2 pins marked "speed control output joint freq" and are located on the bottom right side of board in picture above.
    It seems pretty simple now but I was completely lost because the board comes with engrish instructions and I am barely skimming by in my linuxcnc knowledge.(Basically a copy paster)
    The 2 pins hook up up 2 white and black knives of mc-68 board, replacing the 5k pot that previously controlled it by voltage-divider (i think) circuit.
    thanks, for reading my thread!

Quote Originally Posted by easystar View Post
    hello I'm happy to see your description, I have your same breakout bord with PWM output.but I am not expert for the connection of electrical wires.
    If you have a picture of how connected so I can huanyang vfd inverter control spindle speed.
    I thank you if you can help me
    board is mounted in an enclosure. There are dozens of wires, don't think a picture will show much.
    What sort of motor and control board do you have?