586,051 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Path to tool path

Is there software to program the machine path to the actual tool paths? I have been just modifying code to make it work and is very time consuming. A lot of my moves cannot contain straight to, short distance moves.

Re: Path to tool path

The machine is supposed to follow the toolpath generated by your CAM software. Where did you get this code, and how does the motion of the machine differ from the toolpath?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Is there software to program the machine path to the actual tool paths?
    Can you try to explain what you mean a little better?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The machine is supposed to follow the toolpath generated by your CAM software. Where did you get this code, and how does the motion of the machine differ from the toolpath?
    The toolpath is being generated by my cam software just fine. It's the path TO the toolpath that I am changing. I can't do a rapid, shortest distance to the toolpath. My workpiece is taller than my z clearance. I am currently doing this by manually editing the code but it is time consuming.

Does your CAM software allow you to define fixtures? (not the G code workspace offset type of fixtures, the CAM modelling feature of fixtures for no-go zones). Might be worth using, if it does, it's exactly what they're for.

Failing that, does your CAM software (or post processor) allow you to define blocks of G-Code to be inserted at the start of a job? Might be able to run a generic startup path around the perimeter of the work envelope to your standard starting position if you have one.

You might be able to create a fake geometry in the CAD model going to your CAM package which will lead to a desired initial toolpath. Maybe, anyway.

Otherwise it's cut and paste time.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Does your CAM software allow you to define fixtures? (not the G code workspace offset type of fixtures, the CAM modelling feature of fixtures for no-go zones). Might be worth using, if it does, it's exactly what they're for.

Failing that, does your CAM software (or post processor) allow you to define blocks of G-Code to be inserted at the start of a job? Might be able to run a generic startup path around the perimeter of the work envelope to your standard starting position if you have one.

You might be able to create a fake geometry in the CAD model going to your CAM package which will lead to a desired initial toolpath. Maybe, anyway.

Otherwise it's cut and paste time.
    Thanks a bunch! I think the fixtures is what I am looking for. I have been using aspire but don't think it has the capabilities.
    I do like the code idea also.