586,043 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LI series servos

wanting to know where to order the LI servos aaron uses for the ind hob cnc conversion. I see that my V3s are in some type of heatsinking casing. I found some but none that meet the LI model requirements. Are they dc or ac and are they brushless or brushed? And where to find ballscrew encoders? I am looking at making a homebrewed industrial hobbies style LI kit for a new machine I have.

the encoders or comparable ones can be found at usdigital.com

the motors are brushed DC motors since they run with geckos. don't know what the motor specs are or where aaron gets his. but you can still buy his kit and you'd be much further along than trying to copy what he has done.

oh buy the time i get to making the system I will not be able to buy the kit anymore. I am not going to start until June. I just wanted to get all the stuff inorder. I want to make a good plan and draw out my mounts and all. I found that this is half the fun of doing this stuff. What encoder setup would i use? I know its is the polycarbonate case, and i was thinking of the E2 with a ca-3935-6ft cable wire. But i don't know of any of the CPR number, shaft diameter, or additional options to order for the encoder. I know these are some big questions but I would like to start getting them ironed out. I think what i am going to do is order all the small stuff for the controller box and miscellanious items. Then build that in accordance with the machine tool camp schematic and then do the conversion of the mechanicals.
    I am using this as a training of sorts to gain and use my knowledge of cncing a servo system. I already did my seig mill and lathe with a stepper setup.

Also the throttle body went down the tubes along with the gears and all. I am not skilled enough to do all the little parts yet but I have been taking it step by step. To try out a new one and use fixturing for it.

And by no means an I trying to make an exact copy of arron's kit and I will not be selling them. I am simply trying to get a grasp on building the machines for me.

I can't help you tracking down Aaron's motors. He did say somewhere he would provide contact info for all his suppliers.

You might also consider the servos these guys sell:

http://www.kelinginc.net/ServoMotor.html

They're the same spec as Aaron's @ 600 oz in, they offer a package deal with specially tuned Gecko Drives for them, and Mariss has written favorably about them. Rutex also spoke well of them if you prefer their drivers to Geckos.

I like the HomeShopCNC 850 oz in motors too:

http://www.homeshopcnc.com/page4.html

Also offering a package deal with the Gecko Drives.

Best,

BW

i know where the v3 motors are from however these li models are going to be harder to find. But that is why time is on our side.

Think long and hard about making a LI type machine.

The motors are over 1000 in/oz each and you do not get Geckos, Rutex drives only.

The power supply is 2KW and the motors can deliver a peak of 3.25 HP each.

Unless you are experienced in automation design the LI will punish you for what you do not know. All the conventional stuff that guys will tell you for their homebrew system goes out the window.

Everything is special, keep that in mind, and by the time you realize you have a problem kiss the electronics goodbye.
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

Quote Originally Posted by IndHobby View Post
    Everything is special, keep that in mind, and by the time you realize you have a problem kiss the electronics goodbye.
    As well a crash should be a lot more spectacular!

Krymis, I seemed to recall you were going to cut plastics? Might not be much advantage there with an LI style setup. Personally, I keep wishing for more spindle speed. I am going to explore a belt conversion at some point.

Aaron, do you think you'll make available plans for your belt and 30 taper conversion? Sure would be nice. Incidentally, a nice way to do that might be via LuLu. I just happened on them the other day. They make it easy to produce a nice professional quality book in small quantities.

Best,

BW

i concur, the belt driven spindle plans would be awesome as well as the cat 30 taper solution. i've already upgrade to the 3400 RPm motor but would like to get up around 5000 RPm when its all said and done.

Arron glad to see you on the board. I have finished up with the v3 and rick so now i need to know if you are keeping the mills coming in so i can get one for myself. I was thinking about things a little further last night and this morning and decided I am not doing the LI version seeing as I will no longer be running production and this will be a measure in having fun. BTW BW I cut a lot of different materials plastic being one and steel being second and aluminum being thrid. I picked up my 12x36 grizzly lathe also. I am going to be setting up a servo system on that to. once again for nothing other than fun. I am going to need it seeing as i am going back to college this spring. Think about it a college teacher going back to college that really sucks.

No more mills, It’s part of the deal with my new employer.

I do have a bunch of 30 taper spindles, I can sell you those $50 each, if your interested I can put them in the estore.
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

I'm interested in a spindle!

Please, put them in your store and my name on one!
    Do you have a picture of the spindles?

THanks!
    Bob

I think I would also be interested in the V30 Tapered spindle conversion. The V30 will allow one to setup a number of different tooling in each holder and you could then switch out the different holder each time you need a different tool. This would make switching tooling quicker without having to reinitialize each tool after a switchout.

At some point later I will also change the motor out for higher RPM and VDF. But right now I will do the CNC conversion with the existing mill and kit.

Quote Originally Posted by IndHobby View Post
    No more mills, It’s part of the deal with my new employer.
    Hmmm. Let me guess? You are going to work for Tormach and design their next generation machine?

Put me down for a spindle too!

Best,

BW