586,051 active members*
3,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Daewoo Puma 400 Lathe

Hi all.
    Can anybody help me please. We have just got a new puma 400 lathe, but when operating the hand wheel for movement of slides the doors must be closed. Does anyone know if there is a parameter so that the handwheel movement can be done with the doors open. We have an older version of the same machine and this can be done. The control is a Fanuc 21I if this helps.
    Thanks Turner..

Doh, found key switch on side. Never mind Sorry!
    Turner.

Can you change tool and move axis with doors open and use M53 to close door by cyclestart?? Just woundering.

We have 2- 400's, 2-12LB's, and a 300. Easy to move those switches if ya leave the keys in em. We have had the trouble with tailstock clamp/unclamp switch going bad. We hardly ever use the tailstock, but every once in a while a machine will stop rapid traversing. Cause is the switch showing a tailstock unclamp condition. There is a little green indicator lamp that blinks close to those keys for the door open/close. On ours, if that lamp goes out, then it will not rapid traverse. Normally it blinks.

what software do you use to write code for your 400s ?

uses to write code???

I don't write the programs but the guy that does uses something he told me was no longer available/extict, LOL. I think it is Applicon. He has used this for years on much older machines.

Cycle stop button problem?

Hi,
    Can anyone help please? When we press the cycle stop button mid cylce in auto, it is only stopping feed and the chuck continues to rotate. We have an older m/c that stops both the feed and the spindle, so we can open doors check tools and close doors, and cycle start to continue with cycle.
    Maybe there is a parameter setting??
    (puma 400 with fanuc 21i TB)
    Thanks
    Turner.

on your cycle stop do you mean "feed hold"? if so then no it does not stop but all you have to do is push your feed hold turn to jog or handle and hit spindle stop and as long as you dont move the turret just start the spindle turn it back to mem. and push start and it will finish
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Turner,

I'm not sure how to get there off the top of my head, but Keep Relay 3 bit 0 (farthest right bit) controls whether the spindle and coolant stop when Feed Hold is pressed. Your control is probably set to 0 (and I quote): "Feed hold operates but spindle and coolant don't stop."

Set this keep relay to 1 (again I quote): "Feed hold operates and spindle & coolant stop. However, in case of executing fixing cycle for thread cutting or tapping, operation will be stopped after finishing actual machining part."

You need to be in MDI, go to Settings, and turn PWE "ON", then go to the System display... that's where I run out of recollection.

Dave

Cycle stop button problem?

Thanks Dave(Dcoupar).
    Thats sorted the problem. Im having problems with setting tools in X axis now.
    On our older m/c to set tool in X we cut a diameter then on geometery page type in diameter and press MEASR softkey and thats it. On this newer m/c if we do the same method it doesnt seem to be calculating the correct position, Is there any settings maybe that need changing???
    Turner

Turner,

Did your machine come with the Q-Setter? If so, have you tried to use that? They work really well in my experience. I just trained a new user yesterday on a Puma 300, and the Q-Setter set the OD tools within 0.0005 on his first try.

I believe the value in your X Geometry offset is the diameter distance from the centerline of the ID toolholders (0 offset for a drill), to the tip of the tool. So, if you mount an OD turning tool sticking 1.575" (40MM) out of the turret. your X geometry offset should be pretty close to 0. If you mount the same tool sticking 1.575 out of one of the OD turning holders, you should see an offset of about 6.2".

There's a tool interference diagram in your Instruction manual that kind of shows this relationship between holders.

In any case, you still should be able to set the Geometry Offsets manually, and the way you're doing it sounds correct, you may just be seeing some funny numbers. Try this:

Cut the OD of the stock then move Z back out of the way (don't move X). Measure the diameter you just cut, then go to the Geometry Offset for that tool, type X, the diameter you measured, then press the MEASUR soft key. Now go to MDI, and type T0101 (or whatever tool/offset you're working with) , EOB, Insert, and Cycle Start. Now look at the Absolute Position display. X should be the diameter you just measured. If it does, you're good to go.

Anyway, try the Q-Setter... you'll like it!

Dave

Dave is right the Q-setter is the way to go , as for setting it manualy i have never tried his way it sounds like it should work, i make my cut, measure, and subtract the od measurment from the machine x position kinda the old school way i guess but on old machines thats the only way to do it
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TURNER View Post
    Thanks Dave(Dcoupar).
    Thats sorted the problem. Im having problems with setting tools in X axis now.
    On our older m/c to set tool in X we cut a diameter then on geometery page type in diameter and press MEASR softkey and thats it. On this newer m/c if we do the same method it doesnt seem to be calculating the correct position, Is there any settings maybe that need changing???
    Turner
    I have 3 Daewoo machines and all of them require me to push a button with a litle drawing with a beta and a alpha greek letters in it. This button makes a snapshot of your machine position.

So the steps to make are:

1- Turn a bit of the material like you used to make on the older machine.
    2- Type in the offset the value like you used to make on the older machine.
    3- Press that button I mentioned before.
    4- Press the measure button like you used to make on the older machine.

And thats it. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by serazor View Post
    I have 3 Daewoo machines and all of them require me to push a button with a litle drawing with a beta and a alpha greek letters in it. This button makes a snapshot of your machine position.

So the steps to make are:

1- Turn a bit of the material like you used to make on the older machine.
    2- Type in the offset the value like you used to make on the older machine.
    3- Press that button I mentioned before.
    4- Press the measure button like you used to make on the older machine.

And thats it. Enjoy.
    Thanks,
    We have sorted the problem now, the button you mention that stores the m/c position had not been used on our other m/c's due to a parameter change that tricks the control that it has been pressed every time the movement of slide stops.
    Turner

I run a 12-LB.Long story short, it came with a tool setter, but they didn't want it, they wanted a 4-jaw chuck... tried to remove the arm, but it fouled the electronics, so now I have a dead tool setter, sitting it the way next to my chuck (3-jaw). AND I know exactly what your talking about with the tailstock switches going out., make sure that there is some kind of seal around the bar that follows the tailstock in and out. If there are gaps, then coolant will get in and foul up the switches... On our third set of switches.

But I love my machine. She's good to me.

puma 400L --Q-SETTER

I have read all the comments but no one has said anything about realigning the q-setter. I had a new guy smack the qsetter in handle jog and now when I use my test indicator to check to see if it flat it is out .05 along the z axis . in the manual it says to run it up and down along the x and z axis it shows to adjust the screw for one direction ( it does not say what the screw moves ) and the pin to move the other direction. I was hoping that someone has done this before , I found the parameters to adjust the q-setter numbers but I need to get the arm straight 1st . Can any one help I just need to know what screws to adjust and where because the one in the book is no where to be found!!!