586,089 active members*
3,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 5 Axis Machine Spindle Control Help

Question 5 Axis Machine Spindle Control Help

Hello all, first thread here,

I'd like to preface this thread with these notes:
    1. I'm building a 5 axis cnc gantry router , this is my second machine. This machine will primarily be cutting polyurethane for vacuum forming molds.
    2. I have never set up spindle control, I've always just used the knob on my mill.
    3. I live in Australia so if you know a better place for me to buy the electronics please let me know.

I need to run 6 steppers:
    • 2 for the X axis (gantry)
    • 1 for the Y axis
    • 1 for the Z axis
    • 1 for the B axis
    • 1 for the C axis

I've been gathering my electronics shopping list on (don't know why these links are displaying as the website title but they still work) Stepper Motor |CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale, and I'm thinking I'll buy this VFD which I want to be able to control on/off and RPM:
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

I also want limit switches on the X, Y, Z, and of course an e-stop.

So, which breakout board setup should I go with to achieve all this? I emailed the website and they said a good option is the 6 axis Ethernet SmoothStepper (by warp9) and the C11G for interfacing with the VFD.
    All I know about interfacing with a VFD is that you can control the RPM with the 0-10V PWM output, I really have no idea how many wires are connected between the breakout board and the VFD and what do they do?
    Do I really need the ESS or can I achieve all of the above with the C11G on it's own?

Be really basic in the way you explain this to me at first, I'm more confused about controlling the VFD through Gcode than I think I should be.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: 5 Axis Machine Spindle Control Help

hi dont worry about vfd ,.. i think of your setup more like an huge heiz (cnc step ) machine i own a 400t there the x axis are simply doubled means no matter what you decide on control and electronics (it is more like girls some like blondes other red etc ) you will have 2 wires for x axis one is doing stepps and the other is doing direction. exactely at that point do the 2nd stepper driver for 2 nd x axis and if motors are same even better then bot will turn simultan,.. thomas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    hi dont worry about vfd
    What do you mean? I would much prefer have the VFD controlled from the computer so I have to make sure I have the outputs for that.

i think of your setup more like an huge heiz (cnc step ) machine i own a 400t
    I haven't started building it yet, I've just got linear guides and ballscrews so far. But this is what I've got built in Fusion 360 so far:

Clearly not a finished design yet.

you will have 2 wires for x axis one is doing stepps and the other is doing direction. exactely at that point do the 2nd stepper driver for 2 nd x axis and if motors are same even better then bot will turn simultan,.. thomas
    I've never come across someone controlling two steppers off the same step/direction pins, but I did wonder if it's possible at first. I bothered to look it up now that you mention it and it's possible. You can even run two motors off the one driver, you just need to make sure the driver can handle the amps needed for two motors.

I've sort of kind of figured out what it's going to take to control everything after some serious head scratching and time wasting.
    I gather I can do everything I need with the C11/C11G. Side note, what's the difference between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianLL View Post
    What do you mean? I would much prefer have the VFD controlled from the computer so I have to make sure I have the outputs for that.

I haven't started building it yet, I've just got linear guides and ballscrews so far. But this is what I've got built in Fusion 360 so far:

Clearly not a finished design yet.

I've never come across someone controlling two steppers off the same step/direction pins, but I did wonder if it's possible at first. I bothered to look it up now that you mention it and it's possible. You can even run two motors off the one driver, you just need to make sure the driver can handle the amps needed for two motors.
    Now you met one -

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk