586,096 active members*
3,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To build an archtop guitar...?

Hey fellows, I'm new to all this cnc stuff. My question would be can someone scan an already carved top that would save it as some kind of a file?

I don't know anything about drawing in cad(?). I downloaded a trail version of Rhino 3D and didn't know where to start.

So before I try to build a cnc(solslyva), exactly what are the steps needed. I would pay for someone to scan or digitize the guitar top.

Thanks
    Pookie

Pookie first thing you need to do is go watch some Rhino video tutorials. There are two sites I know of that offer them free for registering.

http://www.ob.com/ Robert Schultz is a super guy and has some of the best pricing for Rhino and related software.

http://www.rhino3d.tv/

This is the Miami office of McNeel.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase View Post
    Hey fellows, I'm new to all this cnc stuff. My question would be can someone scan an already carved top that would save it as some kind of a file?

The more accurate the data you create toolpaths for a CNC from, the better the final part. Using scanners, probes, Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs), or other means to reverse engineer a product is time consuming. Don't get me wrong, lots of the nice guitars here were created from someone measuring and entering in the data in a CAD system, taking up lots of time as well. "Scanning" is similar, except that a scanner gives you a facsimile of the original. Tweaking the file into something usable usually involves some intermediate program to take all the dumb data that was scanned and turning it into something editable in a CAD program. Why not just take accurate measurements and enlist good drawing practices to make a model to begin with? Making an accurate 3D CAD model that you can revise is the best route.

Thanks for the replies. I'll watch those videos and see what I can do. I don't even know enough to ask the right qestions. But I'll give it a shot.

You can scan it, but you'll need a 3D scanner --- https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm. After its scanned in 3D, you'll have to do quite a bit of tidying it up. Then generate toolpaths using Rhino or whatever. Then save those toolpaths as a 'G-Code' file to be run on your router control software such as Mach3. Then run that G-Code and carve your item on your solsylva.

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase View Post

I don't know anything about drawing in cad(?). I downloaded a trail version of Rhino 3D and didn't know where to start.

So before I try to build a cnc(solslyva), exactly what are the steps needed. I would pay for someone to scan or digitize the guitar top.

Thanks
    Pookie
    Guys I think the operative sentence is highlighted. I know all too well where he is and how daunting it is to look at a moniter full of nothing!!! If he will pay the price though, that can change. Pookie just watch the videos and then try some of the tutorials included with Rhino.......and start with a simple one!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

it's like anything else...if you put your time into it, I'm sure that you can learn Rhino (great choice btw, Rhino has some awesome features for the price!)

archtop

Hi pookie
    I have digitized a back of a Guild (close to the shape of a L5 )
    it's possible to mirroring because the back have the same shape than the top,
    or very close , but you have a big amount of job to do before get the real
    machined. part..
    thierry

My adress:
    [email protected]

Thanks lerac88. I'm still debating what to build. My wife is also interested in woodworking and we're thinking about one of those machine from CarveWright.
    You can buy a probe for it that will probe the piece you want, turn it into a file then cut a copy of it. Looking at the pictures in their forum, it looked great. It will only cut up to 14 1/2" wide.

The company is looking to produce a machine in the 20-24" range in about a year. I think I'll wait it out and see what happens.

Thanks
    Pookie

pookie

I have tested their soft recently ,look fine ,but the output is very propriatery,
    that's the kind of machine which work with one soft ,because nothing can be
    imported but the files created under designer ,I hope they will implement as soon as possible an importing feature as standard g-code ,etc...
    their machine have a great success ,seems they are out of stock ,very
    cost effective (2000$) , I find it actually more interesting for fine woodworking carving as bas relief , 2d5 sign jobs than luthiery ,( ok also for inlays ,rosace
    and contouring ,or scarve a luth hole ). How do you plan to add a fourth axe on it ?.. if the idea grow , they will add it as an option.

Yes ,the probing option is amazing and the price of the tools affordable.
    The tool changer can be found on ebay for 2 euros (the shippement is the
    most expensive)
    http://cgi.ebay.es/Craftsman-1-2-in-...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway , I would like to have one sitting on my workbench ,and sure you and your wife too because it makes jobs easy.
    oops, what new about archtop ?
    br

thierry

That's an amazing bundle ,I have tested the soft ,look very serious but prorietary about import and export (usb hooked ,etc) ,it's not possible to import
    external standard g-code, just pictures ,that's a a pity.
    The probing is a fine implementation ,tools not expensive ,sure I would have
    this machine sitting on the workbench ,cost effective ,and usefull for every kind of 2d5 jobs , low reliefs , 3d can be afford with a fourth axe ,not yet an option here actually.. br thierry

I spent a few days running the demo software and getting some infomation
    from the carvewright forum. The Carvewright and software looks realy cool but do not look for much help on the CW forum regarding guitars and cad. mostly hobby projects.