586,106 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Coolant nozzle setups with umbrella changers, got pics?

Coolant nozzle setups with umbrella changers, got pics?

Hi, I bought an 07 TM2 last fall and have come a long ways with it in that time. But one thing that I am just sick and tired of is my coolant nozzles. I have tried a bunch of different ways with the 1/4" plastic flex lines but I hate every one of them. Because the way it changes tools it severely limits the positions I can put the nozzles at. I have just resorted to using Option Stop and go over and re-adjust the stupid things after every tool change. I go through a bunch of those plastic nozzles when I forget and they get smashed in a tool change. There has got to be a better way... lets see some pics or give me some ideas to try, I am open to try anything!

Re: Coolant nozzle setups with umbrella changers, got pics?

Not aware of any simple solution, had seen on YouTube (just tried to locate it but couldn't) where a guy built his own programmable coolant system, using I believe a Arduino. Programmable is probably the only real solution, they can be purchased but undoubtedly not inexpensive. Would love to see something better myself.

Ken

Hmm, wheels are turning. Actuator and a solenoid and could maybe make my life suck a little less. Something to start looking at anyway.

On the haas at work we have a programmable coolant nozzle. It came that way when purchased. Not sure of the cost but it's awesome. The buttons to adjust it are built into the control panel. Not sure if yours would already have them. If you would like to see pics I'll try to take some Tuesday. I set all my z heights for the tools I use then go through them 1 at a time and adjust the coolant position. The position is saved on the tool setup page right after the tool number. If you do a lot of tool changes it would be well worth it.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    On the haas at work we have a programmable coolant nozzle. It came that way when purchased. Not sure of the cost but it's awesome. The buttons to adjust it are built into the control panel. Not sure if yours would already have them. If you would like to see pics I'll try to take some Tuesday. I set all my z heights for the tools I use then go through them 1 at a time and adjust the coolant position. The position is saved on the tool setup page right after the tool number. If you do a lot of tool changes it would be well worth it.

Ben
    Yes that would be great. I think at the very least I will do roller switch on the changer door and an actuator that will either scissor open in the y direction of pull back in the x so they wont get hit by the umbrella every tool change. That would take no code or buttons to do. But if I could get it to be programmable that would be even better.

Hi,

I think what you are referring to is the HAAS PCOOL Unit.

I have one on my HAAS 2007 TM-1P Mill. I installed a used PCOOL unit on mine and it works pretty good.

Here are a couple of links that will give you an idea on how it works.

https://youtu.be/LWt0R58VTs0

https://youtu.be/wT3BwMbK4oU

Also, one of my friends here on the forum helped me with a really nice retrofit that allows me to either have programmable coolant or air blasts during the machining operations.

If you check out my YouTube Channel you will find links to those videos as well.

It has been a while but if you search the threads here on the forum you will find detailed information on the process.

Hope this was of some help.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

there is a guy on ebay selling a ring to go around the spindle that puts nozzles all the way around the tool ,,, the way they send the coolant down along the side of the tool you can run a short or long tool and never have to change them,,, I have a newer vf4ss with the 4 nozzles and never even have to play with the P-cool.... there is some other guys that have made there own rings and it looks really simple,,, I would just use short brass pipes and bend them once and call it good,,,, you might have to step up to a bigger pump with 4 nozzles but its great having lots of flow to wash the parts down .

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    there is a guy on ebay selling a ring to go around the spindle that puts nozzles all the way around the tool ,,, the way they send the coolant down along the side of the tool you can run a short or long tool and never have to change them,,, I have a newer vf4ss with the 4 nozzles and never even have to play with the P-cool.... there is some other guys that have made there own rings and it looks really simple,,, I would just use short brass pipes and bend them once and call it good,,,, you might have to step up to a bigger pump with 4 nozzles but its great having lots of flow to wash the parts down .
    Most likely this is designed around the side mount tool changer. Very little room between the head and sheetmetal for the carousel style tool changer to accomodate such a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Beansdiesel View Post
    Hi, I bought an 07 TM2 last fall and have come a long ways with it in that time. But one thing that I am just sick and tired of is my coolant nozzles. I have tried a bunch of different ways with the 1/4" plastic flex lines but I hate every one of them. Because the way it changes tools it severely limits the positions I can put the nozzles at. I have just resorted to using Option Stop and go over and re-adjust the stupid things after every tool change. I go through a bunch of those plastic nozzles when I forget and they get smashed in a tool change. There has got to be a better way... lets see some pics or give me some ideas to try, I am open to try anything!
    You should easily be able to retrofit the Haas programmable coolant spigot. It may be a little pricy for what it is, but it will be an easy, seamless upgrade. With the programmable spigot and a few loc lines behind and in front of the spindle, I would imagine will cover the majority of your needs.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Haas Coolant Ring | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by rawen2 View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words...

Haas Coolant Ring | eBay
    Yes it is!!

Have you tried these?

Home - QPM Products

Timothy
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25