586,058 active members*
4,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > [V28: Bug?] 3 Axis Adaptive Roughing - Spiral Lead In Problem

Question [V28: Bug?] 3 Axis Adaptive Roughing - Spiral Lead In Problem

Hi all,

My problem is, that the spiral calculated for the lead in is all but now what I configure. It is more like a plunge but certainly not the spiral I'm looking for. What ever I do, I cannot get it do a spiral lead in with e.g. 1mm depth per spiral winding.

Environment:

BC: V28
    Build: 1777

Attached there is a simple project file which includes just one 3 Axis Feature with one operation: Pocketing - Adaptive Roughing. I wounder if one of you can confirm this to be a bug with V28.

Greez,

dialsc

Re: [V28: Bug?] 3 Axis Adaptive Roughing - Spiral Lead In Problem

wrong tool path for example

use a 2D pocketing routine and it will work fine

or

drill hole first and use as a plunge point if you really want to use a trochodial tool path

Thx for your feedback. Do mind performing a quick check if your installation calculates a propper spiral with the settings given? I know i could do it differently here. The project file is just a very simple example to show the problem.

Greez,

dialsc

No it does not.
    But,I am not sure it should either.
    I can't think of a situation where I would use the strategy you suggested for such an easy part.(I know it is just an example) But for the example at hand there are many better choices.
    If you feel it may be a bug,by all means report it here Software Issue Report & Feature Requests | CAD/CAM | BobCAD-CAM | BobCAD-CAM
    They will respond back,,please let us know what's up.

It should definitely create that spiral lead in here. Nevertheless thanks a lot for checking this out and providing the feedback. I was talking to the guys from support and it was confirmed to be a bug. It should be fixed with the next release they said.

BTW: This bug also applies to other 3 axis as well as 2 axis tool paths where a helical lead in should be calculated.

HTH!

Greez,

dialsc

BTW: This bug also applies to other 3 axis as well as 2 axis tool paths where a helical lead in should be calculated

like which other tool paths ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pocket 1.jpg   pocket 2.jpg  

I'm facing the same in e.g.:

- 2 Axis: Adaptive Roughing
    - 3 Axis: Advanced Z Level Finish

I think it really depends on the pocketing pattern you're using. If I set the pattern to e.g. Offset Pocket Out, it calculates the spiral. But if I set it to Advanced Pocket - with or without Adaptive Roughing - it does not.

I know that it might not make sense to you to use a Z level finish in situations where you have to first get cut away most of the material but there are situations I like to use it. And, whether or not it makes sense, if it's offered and does not work, it's a bug...

Has this bug been fixed? It almost seems that I just gave them my money for something that should be working from the beginning. I have resorted to V27 as all my templates are being transfer to V28 and all of them use the spiral lead in when in V28 it is broken. It will take time to reprogram each one from a productive approach.

Quote Originally Posted by dialsc View Post
    I'm facing the same in e.g.:

- 2 Axis: Adaptive Roughing
    - 3 Axis: Advanced Z Level Finish

I think it really depends on the pocketing pattern you're using. If I set the pattern to e.g. Offset Pocket Out, it calculates the spiral. But if I set it to Advanced Pocket - with or without Adaptive Roughing - it does not.

I know that it might not make sense to you to use a Z level finish in situations where you have to first get cut away most of the material but there are situations I like to use it. And, whether or not it makes sense, if it's offered and does not work, it's a bug...

I don't know. At least there is no bug fix release or any other "update" available for V28 yet and if the bug will be fixed on of the "updates" we just don't know. But the guy from the support stuff did tell me he signed a development ticket for it.