586,612 active members*
3,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

jagged cut on plasma

I am having a problem when I try to cut complex art on our table (Vicon 8000). If I have a simple shape (rectangles, squares, etc.) I can cut them fine. When I try to cut something like flames, the plasma cuts like it is cutting each point on the drawing, it isn't smooth at all. I have designed in illustrator CS2 and exported as DXF, I have imported that file in Auto Cad 2005 and resaved as a DXF and it is the same problem when I download to table. Is there any way to make the file smoother? In illustrator there isn't that many points (nodes) but if I open the same file in autocad, there are alot. I am assuming that is the problem. Can someone please help me.

Thank you

The first problem is that you control software evidently does not support CV (Constant velocity) It works to blend the segments and smooth out the toolpath. The 159.00 version of MACH3 has CV.

The other problem is that Illustrator's DXF export evidently turns all those pretty curves into line segments. One solution would be to import the AI file into CorelDraw and use DXFTool to get DXF files with arcs and circles intact.

The other unknown is how the import software for your table handles the DXF files. Some imports do not allow for a node "tolerance" that auto connects the poly segments you get in all drawings.

So will your Vicon 8000 take g-code in?

I have AutoCad. I have tried to bring in the file in autocad and then I edited it there. I took out alot of points (nodes) but I still have the same problem. I am wondering if the shape is too complex for the cnc software? The flame pattern that I have been trying to cut starts out real smooth on the first part of the flame but then it starts cutting jagged. The part that it cuts smooth is an exact duplicate of the other side of the flames that cuts jagged. Is it possible that the CNC software we have can't process all this at onece? Can it be that it cuts the first part smooth, but then when the memory or cache or whatever gets caught up it can only process one part at a time? This software is pretty old. I tried corel with DXFTool and our CNC software won't even open that DXF. Someone said that the control software doesn't support CV. What is CV, what does that mean? I am trying to find the easiest way for us to take something from illustrator and cut it. Can someone give me an idea? Even if it means a new control box and software that will work with a VICON 8000. I don't know if this will take G-Code or not. What is G-Code?

Thank You.

What is CV, what does that mean?

This forum/ thread, Art is talking about CV a bit.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=1724.0

I found with PlasmaCAM that higher resolution bitmaps convert to vector a lot nicer than low res. ..for obvious reasons... however, in some cases with software, the import of DXF doesn't handle the data properly and re-writes the path. Some things to try would be tweaking your arc resolution and mess with the smoothing features.. I don't know if your software is comparable to PlasmaCAM.. One thing I did find was working with small drawings, the table software would create a LOT of intersections on corners.. a simple trick you might try is making the drawing HUGE before converting to a cut path (or whatever you have to convert to for your system) and then reducing it to the size you want. I found with PlasmaCAM that it retains the perfect cut path, but I have to compensate for the offset so my parts come out right.

Steelworks,

Can you send me the Vicon PRT file? As I myself have a Vicon Machine and can probably help you out. I have fixed jagged edge parts all the time.

RJ

I got it. I finally found out what was wrong. The resolution in the contol software was set way to high and the spool driver was corrupt. Thank you all for your help.

Chas