4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAM Vs. Fusion 360
Page 1 of 5 123

BobCAM Vs. Fusion 360

Just wondering what are the advantages of BobCAM over Fusion 360

Re: BobCAM Vs. Fusion 360

Apples and Oranges. Not really a comparison.
    Donald

In terms of CAM capabilities. Fusion seems to now support turning. Is there advantages of one over the other. I currently use V4 Mill Pro/Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Apples and Oranges. Not really a comparison.
    Why not? Both are CAD/CAM packages. How is it apples and oranges?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BobCad has BobArt..........

Isn't BobArt a separate add on package?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Its a licensed module with the software. So you can buy just a simplistic, setup, or all the bells and whistles.....

But it's "BobCad"... It's not a "sepate program" or something.

BobCad is a smaller, more focused company than Autodesk.

BoBCAD is not Cloud based,,depending on what you do and what you believe,,that could be a plus

Fusion 360 is a mashup of "Most" of the great new groundbreaking technologies that Autodesk has bought over the last 4 or 5 years to create it.... There is some very cool, and powerful stuff in the CAD side. Not really familiar with the CAM. I think it's the HSMWorks Autodesk bought.

Fusion 360 is free if you are a startup or hobbyist. I think the limit is 100K a year turnover or less.

yup, and that is great for me - really can't argue with free.

I've just started using Fusion 360 and I have to say so far I'm very impressed. It hasn't been too difficult to jump into and I'm sure when I have time to go through some of the tutorials I'll be more proficient. I'm generally quite sceptical about could based storage but I have to say the way it's set out is impressive. The file management makes keeping projects stored together easy and it was quite nice to be able to go to my desktop upstairs and have all the files a click away without having to set up anything like a drop box file.

I've always struggled to get my head around the less mechanical and more organic side of 3d design, and I have to say I think the sculpt section of fusion is going to be a big plus for me. First impressions are that it's a lot more simple for me to get what's in my head on to the screen than other CAD software I've used on that front.

I haven't played much with the integrated CAM but from the quick fiddle I've had it looks pretty impressive and well featured... I especially like the simulation side which is oddly missing from quite a few CAM packages it seems. It is missing 4th axis though from what I can see which would be a good addition... I can see that bobcad supports up to 5 axis which means if you need those extra axis then you don't really have much of a choice between the two (on the CAM side at least).

The fact that as a hobbyist it's free is just the icing on the cake. Smart move from autodesk imo - not many hobbyists are willing to fork out the huge amount of cash required for a solidworks et al service contract, and an awful lot I would guess will just be running pirated copies. This way they have a legitimate way in to the autodesk ecosystem at the same cost as a pirated copy of solidworks (i.e. nothing) and are more likely to use their products in the workplace too.

I haven't tried BobCAD though, so my comments are purely about fusion - not fusion compared to bobcad.

It is missing 4th axis though from what I can see which would be a good addition... I can see that bobcad supports up to 5 axis which means if you need those extra axis then you don't really have much of a choice between the two (on the CAM side at least).
    Fusion will eventually have 4th and 5th axis, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

I have to believe that somewhere down the road, Fusion will not be free anymore. Just my guess....
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Fusion will eventually have 4th and 5th axis, it just hasn't been implemented ....
    I thought they already had it. You just have to get one of the paid packages. They cant give that away because its licensed technology.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Fusion will eventually have 4th and 5th axis, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

I have to believe that somewhere down the road, Fusion will not be free anymore. Just my guess....
    It has it but only indexing , you setup a new origin and it indexes to it . I have only used bobcad 22/ 23 and wished I never bought it . with fusion I yet to see anything that gets me that mad . Oh and the forums you get help without having to pay for it and custom post processor files .

I downloaded the trial and have to say very impressed. I would stick with SW for CAD but to be fair the CAM side is neat and package is free. Thought it couldn't do face grooving but it can. Could be game changer. Tormach seems to be pushing it pretty strong.

Seems Autodesk are going back to their roots

I am pretty sure that both licence the algorithms from Module Works either way for CAM so its a comparison between the UI and $ vs. FREE

Partners who work with ModuleWorks CAD/CAM components

To be continued.......

Thanks for pointing all that out!!! It's so nice to know now that BobCad is so much better than what Autodesk is putting out there.....

Quote Originally Posted by tony978 View Post
    Oh and the forums you get help without having to pay for it and custom post processor files .
    I see plenty of free help here in the bobcad forum. Including help with custom post processors.

But can you simply make and modify organic models?

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful showing interest in Bobcad will lead to your phone being wrung off the hook until they manage to beat you into submission to buy something.

Page 1 of 5 123