586,100 active members*
2,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAM Vs. Fusion 360
Page 3 of 5 12345
    Have you tested out the new Turning functionality in Fusion 360?

Re: BobCAM Vs. Fusion 360

Yes. Looks good. I didn't think it could do face grooving but it can. You just have to make a tool for the job. Will be trying it more this week. I want a system that do face grooving and boring well as 90% of the parts I make contain 90% of these types of toolpaths. Bobcam lathe for SW is not great on face grooving. Had a job on Tue that I spent ages trying to generate toolpaths on and would up writing the gcode manually after a lot of wasted time. Going to try it in fusion next week and see if it can do it. HSM pro looks really good but wow is it expensive. I think my quote was €7500 . Premium was €11000. That's to buy it outright. You can pay yearly license.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Make a user account to fusion 360 forums and post the question . The lath cam is new , if they don't then add the idea and more than likely they will add it .

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the BobCAM forum so I don't want to get too far into pumping a competing product, but I'll say this. As a Mac user I like Fusion 360. I've tried it now for 2 weeks and I have not found it unstable at all (2 Macbook Pros and a 2012 iMac). In that time I have had 1 crash, and encountered a couple of bugs but overall I've been able to model and produce working code from it without a lot of difficulty and it feels more stable to me that BobCAM does on my windows systems. One thing I greatly appreciate is the simplicity of drawing in it. Something that BobCAM lacks to me. If the geometry is a problem then I can quickly sketch the needed 2D geometry with ease. No so much for me with BobCAM.

BobCAM:
    - BobCAM is more flexible almost everywhere.
    - I like the way the origin selection and modification is done in BC better.
    - Simulation in BC has a lot of detail over Fusion. Much better overall simulation appearance but WAY more cluttered than F360 too.
    - Easier dialog to build tool paths.
    - BC actually has a decent feed+speed calc built in - Big help.

Fusion 360
    - Drawing and modeling is 1000 times easier to me. Snaps are intelligent and you can draw with complete ease.
    - Decent modeling of joints and motion in assemblies.
    - Fewer crashes and no silent failures to generate tool paths.
    - Cloud based data means I can work on anything from anywhere. I kind of like that. I can also backup to my own storage as well.
    - Easy to create drawings of parts.
    - Tool path parameters are quicker to enter once you get the organization.
    - Simple to incorporate mill fixtures.
    - Native MAC application.
    - Viewers for mobile devices.

I still think BC is a good value assuming that you can get a decent deal on 3 axis and are interested more in CAM than CAD. There are operations in BC that I don't see easy ways to replicate in F360. What bothers me with BC is the issues I have with crashes, and bugs that work into the models. Also, if I need to draw geometry to get an operation done, BC is baffling to me on that front. I have never met a CAD system I couldn't pick up easily until BC. It feels very lacking to me in that area, way behind competing products. I wish BC would focus more on stability and making the CAD side more intuitive.

CAD and PCB design software are the main reasons I still have Windows PCs at all. Fusion 360 is looking like it will be peeling away 1/2 that holdup for me.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I tried Fusion a few times

I think the drawing is crappy

But then again,,,,I am use to BoB,I only know BoB

In the end (because I have heard good things about Fusion) I have to ask myself,,is it worth the investment in time to learn another CAD/CAM ?

And for me,the answer is no.

"Also, if I need to draw geometry to get an operation done, BC is baffling to me on that front."

Start a thread,and ask away,,,

Normally using solidworks the fusion CAD is pretty much the same. One thing I don't like is not being able to rotate the part using the scroll wheel button. Need to spend a bit more time on the CAM side to assess it. More interested in the turning side

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    I tried Fusion a few times

"Also, if I need to draw geometry to get an operation done, BC is baffling to me on that front."

Start a thread,and ask away,,,
    As you said above... is it worth it to me to need to learn how to draw differently from the way I am familiar with? Not really. The forum has however been a great help on just about any question asked so I appreciate that a great deal. I'll be keeping BC around for a while too. Always good to have options if one product doesn't meet needs.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

One thing I don't like is not being able to rotate the part using the scroll wheel button
    Try holding the shift key with the wheel button.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

its interesting how the same people get really offended when someone mentions a downside to bobcad......

onto the differences then, I have not played with any releases of bobcad since v25 so my experiences might not be relevant, however having been an user of autodesk and other cad software, I find that bobcad has a different approach to CAD then your usual cad software. If it is the only software you have ever done any CAD with it then your used to it, I myself however dread having to draw something in Bobcad and try to never do it. Its CAM side works pretty good though! Allthough Bobcad has not called us for a while now, the used to call every couple of days around christmas time every year. Even though they were told not to call, the calls kept coming the last version that was bought (v25) was bought on their promise to never call again.

I always laugh a bit with posts like these. It makes me wonder about the experience level of the opinion. "AutoCAD and BobCad" are actually exactly the SAME with the "Command action vs. Action command" which is what historically always confused people with AutoCAD and made it an extremely cumbersome and hard program to get familiar with. But when someone took the time to learn AutoCAD, they would always talk about it's power. Newer users seem to get fooled by this because AutoCAD has basically bought up a whole bunch of different programs, now labeled as "Autodesk" and so the comparison gets jumbled in I guess.

But it seems like there is a small number of users here that don't really participate or have anything useful going on in the forum, until a thread where they can rip on, what usually is some past grievance or something that just plain isn't true.

There's no doubt that fusion 360 will have CAD capabilities beyond BobCads. Its a mix of like 4 or 5 of some of the newer, profound CAD developments in recent years. But, I see many people in these "CNC" forums that don't really even understand the difference between some of those fundamentals (equating to how and when to use them), so, what's the purpose? "Hey, THAT looks like it would be cool to have!"

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I always laugh a bit with posts like these. It makes me wonder about the experience level of the opinion. "AutoCAD and BobCad" are actually exactly the SAME with the "Command action vs. Action command" which is what historically always confused people with AutoCAD and made it an extremely cumbersome and hard program to get familiar with. But when someone took the time to learn AutoCAD, they would always talk about it's power. Newer users seem to get fooled by this because AutoCAD has basically bought up a whole bunch of different programs, now labeled as "Autodesk" and so the comparison gets jumbled in I guess.

But it seems like there is a small number of users here that don't really participate or have anything useful going on in the forum, until a thread where they can rip on, what usually is some past grievance or something that just plain isn't true.

There's no doubt that fusion 360 will have CAD capabilities beyond BobCads. Its a mix of like 4 or 5 of some of the newer, profound CAD developments in recent years. But, I see many people in these "CNC" forums that don't really even understand the difference between some of those fundamentals (equating to how and when to use them), so, what's the purpose? "Hey, THAT looks like it would be cool to have!"

Posts like which? I've been making my own robotics parts as a hobby now for 5 years. I've implied no experience level beyond that. I'm not aware of any qualifications needed to express one's view of the pos/neg aspects of one product or the other. BobCAD has strong points and weak points like anything else. It's weak point is the CAD side, and bugs. It's strong point is the wealth of options available to a CAM user. I have no interest in tearing down BC. I just bought it less than a year ago. The thread asks about one vs the other. I've used both and posted my opinion on them. Take it or leave it.

Perhaps you are pointing that at someone else, I don't know from your post. I do know that I see that a lot in software companies we interact with. Even when you are invited in to look at the next version and comment. When you comment how something is not very easy to use, or straight-forward to use it's like you called their baby ugly. "You just don't know how to use it right" --- Yes, that's more-or-less the point.

In terms of CAM capabilities. Fusion seems to now support turning. Is there advantages of one over the other. I currently use V4 Mill Pro/Lathe
    I have no experience with Fusion, but I do have and use BC 25 Pro I use with my OmniTurn. It works great for me, I can make my own cutters draw and save them. (I use Rhino Cad mostly for the Cad side of things). I can program and simulate for gang tooling. I bought the package for my gantry router and added the lathe features as a last minute thing. I paid way more for my original lathe cam software (unrelated business) I was unhappy with it. The first lathe cam software I bought, I bought on the reputation of the business, but the lathe software was not their main focus, it became apparent as years went by with no updates. I like BC Lathe, it does what I need it to do and was a pleasant surprise when I bought the package for milling.

Is there No Fusion 360 Forum on the Zone??

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    Is there No Fusion 360 Forum on the Zone??
    Yes,
    It's here -

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/autodesk-cam/

Sometimes when I get bored I have a trip out too ;-)

has it been said not to put all your eggs in one basket--- is the cloud a big basket????

Yes and people are pushing for backup on the user side with out having to save each files . Files used with in 15 days are keeped user side too .

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Posts like which?

The thread asks about one vs the other. I've used both and posted my opinion on them. Take it or leave it..
    Well, I added a post to a thread with over "5 PAGES" of comments in it, and apparently "YOU" have taken it personally?

In my post you will see some discussion of BobCad and Autodesk (the owner of fusion 360) with some noted discussion of how in the past autodesk has been bashed for the exact same reason people hate BobCads CAD interface. Even Rhino falls under it because McNeel was originally targeting an AutoCAD clone system. The Man who created Rhino see's this as a UI failure (Hence Rhino's "Hard to get used to" view") and has removed that workflow from his new project....

Your post reads to me like you want to pick a fight for some reason? So.... What! You gonna wanna cry how I attack you when I respond? You wanna just degrade the thread with silly, childish accusations of "ugly baby" while removing any ability for anyone else to exchange knowledge and experience?

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Well, I added a post to a thread with over "5 PAGES" of comments in it, and apparently "YOU" have taken it personally?

In my post you will see some discussion of BobCad and Autodesk (the owner of fusion 360) with some noted discussion of how in the past autodesk has been bashed for the exact same reason people hate BobCads CAD interface. Even Rhino falls under it because McNeel was originally targeting an AutoCAD clone system. The Man who created Rhino see's this as a UI failure (Hence Rhino's "Hard to get used to" view") and has removed that workflow from his new project....

Your post reads to me like you want to pick a fight for some reason? So.... What! You gonna wanna cry how I attack you when I respond? You wanna just degrade the thread with silly, childish accusations of "ugly baby" while removing any ability for anyone else to exchange knowledge and experience?

Sigh..... internet communication. Yes, I did take your post to be aimed at more recent events, not the 4 pages prior. If not the case then apologies. I'm not here to bash this product, as again, I just purchased it because it was a workable deal for me as a hobby user. I'm not looking to pick a fight. I think I laid out my personal experience and view of the two products fairly.

Your ability to exchange knowledge and experience remains intact.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Sigh..... internet communication. .
    Well, I can claim guilt of that also.

Yes, I did take your post to be aimed at more recent events, not the 4 pages prior. If not the case then apologies.
    Just to be clear here. I DONT attack people and carry on from thread to thread. The forum is a well documented thing (easy enough to find threads and review WHERE the BS starts).... All the "beefs" stem from people acting like that to "ME"... It just so happens I don't have a need to "stand down", like others may... We all have our opinions.

I suppose if I quote you and say a bunch of douche baggery things at you, then by all means, fire back. but not if it's just because you don't like what I have to say.

Anyway, back to BobCad vs. Fusion 360...........

Misunderstanding then.

Agree.... Back to the topic at hand. Sorry for not taking my chill-pill today.

Page 3 of 5 12345