586,983 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What Way Oil\Lube are you using on your Benchtop machine?

What Way Oil\Lube are you using on your Benchtop machine?

Looking to see what way lube others are using on their benchtop machines?

I was planning to use vactra 2 as I has easy access to it at work. But all or the sudden the wife is freaking out saying the basement is going to smell like metal and I have to setup shop in the garage :tired:

I already have the flood coolant figured out, but need a way lube that is either odorless or "pleasant" smelling.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Re: What Way Oil\Lube are you using on your Benchtop machine?

I am using Vactra #2, I know it has a small "oil" smell but not much. I was just given a gallon of Castrols equivalent to Vactra #2, and it is very impressive looking stuff. It is very clear (yellow tint), no sludge on the bottom like Vactra gets and it has no perceivable odor to it. I will try to remember to get the info off the bottle and post it here.

Honestly, the coolant will be your biggest generator of a smell. I know there are some coolants that are nearly odorless but I don't know which they are.

-Dan

for coolant I'm going to run Benz Oil Techni Kool 50. we use it at work for our wet grinders. Already have the "OK" on that.

Looking forward to more info on the castrol way lube.

Thanks
    Andrew

On a hobby machine, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what oil you use, as long as you use something. Plain old motor oil will work as well as anything. It is FAR from a critical application - speeds are very low, loads are very light, hours of use for the lifetime of the machine will never amount to much, compared to what a commercial machine sees.

Regards,
    Ray L.

- - - Updated - - -

On a hobby machine, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what oil you use, as long as you use something. Plain old motor oil will work as well as anything. It is FAR from a critical application - speeds are very low, loads are very light, hours of use for the lifetime of the machine will never amount to much, compared to what a commercial machine sees.

And, yes, the coolant smell will completely overwhelm any oil smell.

Regards,
    Ray L.