586,077 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor or Spindle Change... for SX3

Hi,

I've got a converted SX3, that works ok for what it is. I'm only working with Aluminum and generally its small scale work. I'm typically wanting to use tools that are < 4mm diamter. A lot of what i do is cutting odd shaped holes in aluminium panels.

I'd really like to be able to get higher RPMS' which would really benefit the small tools.

With the Mill maxing out at 1800 or so RPM's, i'm kind of stuck.

What options or suggestions are there for getting a high speed spindle?

Please go easy on me, this is a hobby thing and i'm no pro!

Re: Motor or Spindle Change... for SX3

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...tor-and-driver
    Here is an option. They also have a 2200w motor.

the 1100W looks like it would just drop in, without any major effort. The 2200W/3hp is quite a bit bigger, and doe'snt look like it would fit..

I had a quick look at the controller, and it looks like i would also be able to connect it to my controller and run it using Mach3. All good.

Now i see another post just dropped in, suggesting that i can't just directly drop it in.. What problem would I have using this with the current belt drive?

Not a drop-in. High speed spindles tend to be direct drive with a collet chuck in the end of them. You'd probably be better off running it as a secondary spindle with its own VFD and so on. Keep the one you have at the moment where it is, make up an 80mm (or whatever the spindle diameter is) clamp up and bolt it to the side of your existing power head, wire it through and sort out a way of deciding which motor is being driven from your software.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Not a drop-in. High speed spindles tend to be direct drive with a collet chuck in the end of them. You'd probably be better off running it as a secondary spindle with its own VFD and so on. Keep the one you have at the moment where it is, make up an 80mm (or whatever the spindle diameter is) clamp up and bolt it to the side of your existing power head, wire it through and sort out a way of deciding which motor is being driven from your software.
    What is the issue with swapping it out ( it will physically fit ) and using the current belt drive?

If it fits? Nothing. Except that AFAIK the belt dive is a reduction ratio so you'll lose some significant chunk of RPM you want to achieve using the spindle, and you'll have to figure a way to get the pulley on the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    If it fits? Nothing. Except that AFAIK the belt dive is a reduction ratio so you'll lose some significant chunk of RPM you want to achieve using the spindle, and you'll have to figure a way to get the pulley on the spindle.
    thats just a matter then of setting up some appropriately sized pulleys.. a 1:1 ratio rather than the approx 1:2 ratio that is there now. In fact if i was smart, i'd probably look to set up a way of easily swapping pulleys, so i could swap them around so i could get different speeds if needed, which would give me a lot of flexibility.

Sounds like you have it sussed, then, and you're good to go.

One other thing to bear in mind. I have a 2200W spindle on my machine and the manufacturer warns not to load it up below about 6000RPM. Which is fine if all you do is run a 3mm carbide or TiAN cutter at 12000 RPM all the time. But they won't play nicely if, for example, you wanted to rough things out quickly with a 12mm endmill. For that you'll be wanting the spindle motor you have at the moment. So my suggestion would be to set it up so that it's reversible for sure, but easily (reasonably) interchangeable too if you can manage that.

Just ordered some of these from Aliexpress. That will do the job. I think. Will be easy enough to swap out as well, so i can effectively swap the gear box out if i want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26074effab46e3eeb66482f017ebf718.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	292738

I know this thread is WAY dead, and Looks like Blinkyman hasn't been online since posted. But any chance this actually worked? I am in the same boat here, and do not need the torque, but want the speed on a G0619 I am converting to CNC