586,075 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Grinding noise on X axis

Grinding noise on X axis

Hi. I'm trying to bring up a Fadal 3016 we just had brought in and am having an issue with the X axis. I can power up the machine with no issues, but the X axis is making a grinding noise when it tries to move. If I try to move it with the handwheel it will make the noise just about every click of the wheel. And it will also start making the grinding noise and not stop even when I stop turning the wheel. Here's a video where you can hear what it's doing.

https://youtu.be/dtQe_4YHybM

Any suggestions? Machine repair seems to always fall on my plate around here even though I'm terrible at this stuff. I'd like to try to do what I can before calling in a tech though.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: the machine is a Fadal VMC 3016HT, Model 904-1, made in 1991.

Edit 2: I disconnected the motor from the axis and turned it using the handwheel again. It seems to be making a thumping noise every 5th click of the wheel when set at .010" increments. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/ypmy_DaeSEs

I talked to one guy who says I need to replace this motor. Could it be anything else? I swapped the X and Y amps to see if it was an amp problem and that did nothing, then I swapped the axis control cards and that didn't fix it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Grinding noise on X axis

Edited with more info, please see the original post.

I'm sorry but did I do something wrong? I've got a ton of views on this post but no one has any suggestions...? I don't know a ton about machine repair so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I would do on the 4020 or 6030 here if noise were present:
    1. Remove the X-axis radial bearing (opposite end of motor) and see if the noise persists.
    2. Home the machine (HO), mark the motor coupling/ball screw position, remove the motor and see if the noise is still present.
    3. See if the ball screw coupling half can be turned by hand.

This should at least indicate where the problem is located - radial bearing, ball screw/table assembly, or motor. If the noise is generated from the ball screw assembly and the table moves freely, then the thrust bearing should be removed and examined.

I've had the radial bearing go out causing a noise to be generated, and a lube line failure causing the front way to freeze up causing noise. Never had the motor to go out yet, so cannot comment on its sound. However, the motor has been removed on occasion, brushes removed and blown out to remove the carbon dust.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_fallon View Post
    Here is what I would do on the 4020 or 6030 here if noise were present:
    1. Remove the X-axis radial bearing (opposite end of motor) and see if the noise persists.
    2. Home the machine (HO), mark the motor coupling/ball screw position, remove the motor and see if the noise is still present.
    3. See if the ball screw coupling half can be turned by hand.

This should at least indicate where the problem is located - radial bearing, ball screw/table assembly, or motor. If the noise is generated from the ball screw assembly and the table moves freely, then the thrust bearing should be removed and examined.

I've had the radial bearing go out causing a noise to be generated, and a lube line failure causing the front way to freeze up causing noise. Never had the motor to go out yet, so cannot comment on its sound. However, the motor has been removed on occasion, brushes removed and blown out to remove the carbon dust.
    Thanks! I finally got a hold of the Fadal tech we usually use and he said it was definietly the motor. So I've got a new motor on the way. Fingers crossed that this will fix it and we can be up and running again.

We just had a Glentek drop a magnet loose inside. Typical clunk, click and grind noise. Pulling it apart now and seeing if we can glue it back in place while the motor is still operable. You can really tell when you pull the motor off and turn the shaft back and forth.