586,058 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Backlash Compensation and more...?

I was wondering if PathPilot offers any backlash compensation like Mach3, and if so how well does it work? Not sure how well backlash compensation on the software side works, but it would for sure be nice to be able to reduce the slop of the machine to a minimum.

Also, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to feed the controller other information about "inaccuracies" of the mill so it can correct for it in realtime. This would be a really nice feature, but I'm not sure about its feasibility. Fore example: My table is not completely flat, one corner is lower than the others. Yes, you can/should adjust the table etc. but this is sometimes hard and only possible to a certain degree. It would be super helpful if I could use a z-probe to map out the table and then feed this information to PathPilot which then corrects for it on the software side. Same goes for making sure the axis movement is 100% parallel to the "precision" t-slot. I could just use an indicator to check for any inaccuracies, and then have the controller correct for it.

Any though?

Re: Backlash Compensation and more...?

I wish I had something valuable to add, but I'm VERY interested in this topic. I'd love to be able to input some custom data and have the software account for errors as best it can.

If it's based on linux cnc then it should be easy. I never used it myself tho

As for the rest, Just use soft jaws, then it doesn't matter what is going on with your table (or put a fixture plate on it, to hold your vises)

How bad is the error in the table?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    If it's based on linux cnc then it should be easy. I never used it myself tho

As for the rest, Just use soft jaws, then it doesn't matter what is going on with your table (or put a fixture plate on it, to hold your vises)
    I'm using the stepped soft jaws. That was the first part I made on mine. On the other hand, I'm going to take some well given advice (probably from you, if I recall) and relevel my mill stand so that it isn't so damn level (the coolant doesn't drain very well). Then I'll retram the mill head after that thanks to another useful TKC's video and that awesome tram gauge.

Just have to add BACKLASH = 0.XXXX to your Axis config in the .ini file.