586,103 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Re: Pathpilot Video

Bam, you edited your ini file to get 200 ipm?

Looking at linuxcnc wiki for "joint 0 following error":

Quote Originally Posted by linux wiki
    hile an axis is in motion, the EMC sends commands for current position. We call this commanded position. It is where the axis is supposed to be. Whenever a drive receives a velocity command it takes a bit for it to get up to that velocity and move to the commanded position. The difference between commanded and actual is following error. Commanded and actual position ought to be the same for an ideal machine. Inertia and such get in the way and add to following error.

EMC checks to see whether the commanded position is within range of the actual position. If this error is out of range, you get an error message something like:

Joint 0 following error.

When this error pops up you can be pretty certain that there are problems with the way you ini file is set.
    Which makes me think that the can't accelerate as fast as the program thinks it should, so the resulting x position doesn't match the expected x position after a few seconds of motion. Try turning down the max axis speed until you can get full travel without the error.

The intermittent "can't find controller" error is baffling (as are most intermittent faults). Try removing and reseating the mesa card, disconnecting and reconnecting the parallel cable, making sure the thumbscrews are firmly fastened.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    The intermittent "can't find controller" error is baffling (as are most intermittent faults). Try removing and reseating the mesa card, disconnecting and reconnecting the parallel cable, making sure the thumbscrews are firmly fastened.
    Most common causes of his error are:

1. Dirty contacts in the PC though this is more of an issue for PCI as it needs ~50 good connections to work
    where PCIE only needs about 10. Dirty contacts are common because the slot has typically been vacant for a
    long time accumulating dust and grime. Easiest way to clean the slot is to wet some card stock with 99% IPA and
    gently insert and remove it from the motherboard card slot.

2. Marginal 3.3V power on PC. The 5I25/6I25 are reset if the PCs 3.3V rail falls below 3.1V at any time This can be checked by watching
    the red LEDs on the 5I25/6I25 card. These should blink briefly at power up but never again. If they stay on for longer than a second or two at power up
    or ever blink when the machine is on, this indicates a marginal/bad PC power supply

3. Incorrect card jumpering. If the card was not purchased through Tormach it may not have the correct jumpering for their breakout boards
    correct 5I25/6I25 jumpering is the as shown in the 5I25 and 6I25 manuals as default jumpering

www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/6i25man.pdf
    www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/5i25man.pdf

4. Much as we hate to admit it we do occasionally ship cards that pass our tests but fail in the field
    Its not common but it is possible you have a bad card

I never originally messed with anything, so no, not 200. Never 200, not even with Mach.

1, The inside of the pc is VERY clean, no dust or anything, I'll try to clean the contacts.

2. That makes sense, I've had PSU's cause weird issues in the past.

3. The card has no jumpers at all, see this picture - https://instagram.com/p/700CbLFUCr

HMMM!!!!!!!!! My guess is the jumpers are the problem!!!!!

Well.... JUMPERS FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://instagram.com/p/702U21lUHn

what a day... Now to get some proper jumpers

I have to apologize for this, This is entirely Mesa's fault
    On the last lot of 6I25s, the assembly house did not install jumpers on about
    10 of the cards in the lot.

I _thought_ I fixed them all but the dumb-ass doing testing
    (that would be me) obviously did not notice the missing jumpers on
    at least one card.

The card was successfully initialized and passed the loopback test
    (red dot) but obviously cannot function reliably with its options depending
    on the whims of floating inputs

Again I apologize and we can replace the card or send you the needed sliders

Yep.
    I saw this same error message the first time I fired up the SBL 15.
    I called Tormach and he suggested a few things. The first was to power down. Unplug and reinsert the MESA card into the MB. That was the first thing I tried and I have not seen that error since.
    I would try that. Then do a reinstall of the current PP version.
    Lee

Awesome support! Thank you! THAT is customer service at it's finest. Yes, I'll take jumpers, i'll message you.

EDIT: Video Uploading, and will be here soon - https://youtu.be/bcmcPAwY2sU

I posted before I seen his answer, I appreciate the help mesa!

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    I never originally messed with anything, so no, not 200. Never 200, not even with Mach
    Thought I had heard you saying something about that early on the video. My mistake.

Nice to see the problem resolved, and big thumbs up to MESA for their participation in this forum.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: Mesa Card Jumpers

I agree, Mesa rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Nice to see the problem resolved, and big thumbs up to MESA for their participation in this forum.
    Ditto on MESA!
    I read and follow many of these threads and the valued information posted.

I offered to buy this card in another thread and decided to move on after he posted the bracket was modified. I assumed from that thread the card was working ok and user just didn't like path pilot.
    Anyway I decided to buy new from tormach if I wanted a backup controller.
    Thanks again PCW_MESA I almost needed your help

Well mesa/tormach is still sending cards out without the jumpers ask me how I know. This should have never happened cost me money to hunt down this screw up. Some things I expect not to happen this is one.