586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Compumill system 10 troubles

Hello, I have been trying to get my Compumill 3000 running. I recently had the control checked out by parts and smarts. I got machine fired up but my servos will not start. I also have no power to my lube pump, and all manual spindle control or manual coolant pump is gone. I'm only getting two of the four leds on each drive. I have to restart a few times to get the two lights on. My fans are all running on the drives but it seems I'm not getting power to the cards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	292890
    Attachment 292888

Re: Compumill system 10 troubles

Dukerc51

Attached here is part 1 of page one of the Compumill 3000 wiring diagram. These are big jpg files so hopefully you can import them into a photo program to make them clearer. 30 years has not been kind to the blueprints. I have no information on the connections in the DynaPath box and had to trace all the wiring out I needed to fix my machine. The MIO boards outputs are really flakey and may need fixing. The oiler is powered from the spindle circuit. The oiler is not powered if the spindle is not running. The oiler will put out about one squirt every ten minutes of spindle running. Always pull up on the oiler knob before moving machine table.

John

Dukerc51

It appears you have the same spindle interface board as I do. I am assuming that you alway are trying a clean start, Shut off power to power cabinet and put it back on, pull out E Stop switch before turning on control. This is sounding like an Estop or dead backup battery problem. Please find attached part 2 of page 1.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dukerc51

Does the control screen ever come one? Post a photo of the opening screen. M codes are always displayed as a binary representation of the number on the right 8 LEDs on the bottom of the spindle controller. The right most LED is the most significant bit. Unfortunately you have to single step through a short program to make this work. Do you have the CIM for programming this machine? A Delta 20 manual is on Scribd if you need one. Delta 20 is near enough to a system 10 when using the conversational mode. I only had the Delta 20 manual to use when I got my machine running. All the switches on the spindle are wired to the PLC, can you see the bits change when you operate the switches? Please find attached part 3 of page one.

John

Dukerc51

To start out make sure the table and spindle are off of the limit switches. With the power off (big switch on power cabinet) move table X &Y axis to about mid travel by removing covers over dials and moving them by hand (should be easy). The Z is moved by removing the little cover over indicator dial at the top of the spindle panel and rotating it by hand, again little force is needed. Please find attached part 1 of page two.

John

Dukerc51

Part2 of Page two.

Dukerc51

Don't dis pare, it took me almost a year to get all the functions on my machine working correctly. It now does everything including uploading and downloading programs over the RS-232 connection. Part 3 of page two.

John

Dukerc51

Here is a photo of my spindle control card.

Attachment 292908

John

Quote Originally Posted by islander261 View Post
    Dukerc51

It appears you have the same spindle interface board as I do. I am assuming that you alway are trying a clean start, Shut off power to power cabinet and put it back on, pull out E Stop switch before turning on control. This is sounding like an Estop or dead backup battery problem. Please find attached part 2 of page 1.

John
    I usually never use the estops. My interface board looks the same. I did notice on the interface board the second blue wire down from the top has no power. I believe its labled "150" it runs up to the spindle speed controller which hangs on the electrical cabinet door. This wire is just hanging there, I was trying to figure out if it needed to go to the spindle speed controller?

Dukerc51

Looking at your pictures and your description of problems we need to start at the beginning here.

1. Has the mill and control ever worked for you? When did it stop working and what was happening when it quit? Do any parts of the mill work now? The more complete story we have here the quicker we can cut to the chase.
    2. What type of power supply do you have? 3 phase? Rotary Phase Converter? VFD? I converted my mill to run off of single phase and use VFDs to drive the spindle and coolant pump.
    3. Do you have compressed air connected to your mill?
    4. Are you comfortable using a VOM on 230VAC and 120VAC circuits? A lot of the quick trouble shooting will require voltage measurements with the power cabinet door open with the power on!
    5. Put the mill table and spindle in a neutral position off of limit switches as described in earlier post.
    6. Put the mechanical variable speed spindle drive to about 1000RPM and set back gear to high range. This can be done manually with the power off if you turn the crank handle slowly. You may have to rotate the spindle by hand to get the Reeves pullys and back gear to change by hand.

Now for your immediate question. Look at the power wiring photo for page two and you will see the connections to the spindle speed control card on the left hand side. You will also see two "ladders" one just to center of the page from the spindle speed control card that is the 28VDC distribution. The other one is to the right on the page and it is the 120VAC distribution. Now if you look at the 28VDC ladder you will see that terminal or node 150 is the 0V or 28VDC return connection that goes a lot of places. One of the places it happens to go is to terminals 3 and 4 on the spindle speed control card. If your wiring hasn't been modified then one wire should go from terminal 3 on the spindle speed control card back to the 0VDC rail of the 28VDC power supply in the computer (controller box) VIA terminal 150 on the terminal strip on the left hand side of the power cabinet and terminal 4 should go up to the 0VDC return connection on the PLC (above the spindle speed controller on the door) . Terminal 1 on the spindle speed control (+28VDC) should go to the power supply in the computer box and terminal 2 should take the +28VDC to the PLC. The 28VDC power supply is switched with the computer power by the small switch on the side of the computer cabinet. Remember this all assumes stock wiring with no changes! You should trace out any suspect circuit before changing any connections to be sure it is correct to the drawing.

John

The mill has worked for me. When I first got it the servo drives wouldn't fire up. I did the usual reseat connections etc and one day they fired up when restarting. The machine worked for about a year then I lost program control of coolant, shortly after that I started losing program control of spindle. I moved the machine to a new shop so it sat for awhile. When I started working on machine again I would get interrupt errors sometimes and e stop errors, the z axis also started running away and for awhile I couldn't reference the axis, Eventually the servos stopped firing up and that's when I had control sent out. The machine is hooked up to compressed air and has lube in it. I am comfortable with a volt meter and have worked on electrical through out the years. A lot of the relay operations and board level stuff I have trouble with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	292922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	292924

I am running my mill off a American rotary phase converter. I have my wild leg set on leg two so it didn't feed machine tool transformer. The machine fires up now and control is working. It has no errors on start up, When you try to jog the axis the readout changes but after about an inch of display change I get "y servo error" then I hit page again and get " axis not referenced" which was normal until I referenced. The spindle won't turn on or the coolant pump, The brake doesn't work either. It seems in some places my dc drops to 10-12 volts and I have the 28v in other places, my servo fans are coming on and after fiddling with the fuse next to 68v transformer I get two red leds on on drive amps, I think all four led on is normal

Dukerc51

Looking at your pictures and your description of problems we need to start at the beginning here.

1. Has the mill and control ever worked for you? When did it stop working and what was happening when it quit? Do any parts of the mill work now? The more complete story we have here the quicker we can cut to the chase.
    2. What type of power supply do you have? 3 phase? Rotary Phase Converter? VFD? I converted my mill to run off of single phase and use VFDs to drive the spindle and coolant pump.
    3. Do you have compressed air connected to your mill?
    4. Are you comfortable using a VOM on 230VAC and 120VAC circuits? A lot of the quick trouble shooting will require voltage measurements with the power cabinet door open with the power on!
    5. Put the mill table and spindle in a neutral position off of limit switches as described in earlier post.
    6. Put the mechanical variable speed spindle drive to about 1000RPM and set back gear to high range. This can be done manually with the power off if you turn the crank handle slowly. You may have to rotate the spindle by hand to get the Reeves pullys and back gear to change by hand.

Now for your immediate question. Look at the power wiring photo for page two and you will see the connections to the spindle speed control card on the left hand side. You will also see two "ladders" one just to center of the page from the spindle speed control card that is the 28VDC distribution. The other one is to the right on the page and it is the 120VAC distribution. Now if you look at the 28VDC ladder you will see that terminal or node 150 is the 0V or 28VDC return connection that goes a lot of places. One of the places it happens to go is to terminals 3 and 4 on the spindle speed control card. If your wiring hasn't been modified then one wire should go from terminal 3 on the spindle speed control card back to the 0VDC rail of the 28VDC power supply in the computer (controller box) VIA terminal 150 on the terminal strip on the left hand side of the power cabinet and terminal 4 should go up to the 0VDC return connection on the PLC (above the spindle speed controller on the door) . Terminal 1 on the spindle speed control (+28VDC) should go to the power supply in the computer box and terminal 2 should take the +28VDC to the PLC. The 28VDC power supply is switched with the computer power by the small switch on the side of the computer cabinet. Remember this all assumes stock wiring with no changes! You should trace out any suspect circuit before changing any connections to be sure it is correct to the drawing.

John
    OK I am trying to find on the diagrams where the 150 from the spindle speed controller goes into the plc, I have a wire labeled 150 that appears as if its broke off from somewhere. Thanks Jared

Dukerc51

Ok, please find attached photos from my mill. The 150 node connects to the common side of most of the input modules on the PLC as shown on page two of the drawing. This is physically in many spots as they are all connected together electrically.
    Attachment 292950
    This is the PLC in my mill. Note the two locations that the 150 labelled wires attach. If you trace the other wire attached here you will see that all the commons on the input modules are connected together as shown on page two of the drawing.

Attachment 292952
    Close up of top left location.

Attachment 292954
    Close up of top right location.

I don't know which connection is at the other end of the wire you are showing. If it is the connection from the spindle speed control card then none of spindle/coolant/brake switches will work until it is connected. There may also be other things wrong or broken. Check the 28VDC power supply on the spindle speed control terminals, anything between about 24VDC and 30VDC should work. Oh, and my PLC is modified to work with my VFDs and Mister, that is why I have an AC module in the one location different from yours.

John

Dukerc51

This Servo Module is very close to ones in our mills. I think Baldor bought the product line at some point.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MN1213.pdf  

Dukerc51

Ok, please find attached photos from my mill. The 150 node connects to the common side of most of the input modules on the PLC as shown on page two of the drawing. This is physically in many spots as they are all connected together electrically.
    Attachment 292950
    This is the PLC in my mill. Note the two locations that the 150 labelled wires attach. If you trace the other wire attached here you will see that all the commons on the input modules are connected together as shown on page two of the drawing.

Attachment 292952
    Close up of top left location.

Attachment 292954
    Close up of top right location.

I don't know which connection is at the other end of the wire you are showing. If it is the connection from the spindle speed control card then none of spindle/coolant/brake switches will work until it is connected. There may also be other things wrong or broken. Check the 28VDC power supply on the spindle speed control terminals, anything between about 24VDC and 30VDC should work. Oh, and my PLC is modified to work with my VFDs and Mister, that is why I have an AC module in the one location different from yours.

John

OK the 150 wire that I suspect is broke off the top left of PLC runs down to the spindle speed controller, I think my power supply in upper cabiniet just died, I lost "cnc run" and monitor, I have a spare supply in now but this one says bat fail and the "+5v" led is not lit

I did get some forward progress, I connected the 150 wire like yours and my servos fired up, I could tell the wire went somewhere in that neighborhood by the bends in it. Thanks for the pic! My z servo motor has no power, the x won't move but has power, the y will move in the positive direction. Are your drives torq systems? Do the four red leds light up? Another step forward is the e stop buttons will now kick out the servo contactors!! Thanks Jared

I noticed now if I don't try to reference any axis in jog mode my x and y axis move nicely. As soon as I try to reference one it just overtravels then will only move positive, My z axis still won't do anything and doesn't resist being turned by hand, thanks

Dukerc51

None of the LEDs on the servo cards should be on. The servo cards should be set to Velocity mode as the motor servo is closed on the card. With the power off check the wiring to the Z servo Motor, also check for ground fault as that is on of the indicator LEDs on the photo. Check all the connections to the servo module carefully. Make sure the servo supply transformer (the big one next to the servo module) is not feed off of the wild leg of the 3 phase.

The reference position on my machine is extreme X+, Y+, Z+. The early warning limits are used for the reference position, they are wired OR (any one will stop motion) to input module 8 on the PLC. Also make sure that the soft limits are set outside the travel needed to reference the machine until you get things working. With the servos not powered (pull the fuse to the servo power supply) you can move the axis by hand and verify if the early warning limits and over travel limits are working. The DROs should count correctly when moving axis by hand. It sounds like you are close with the X & Y axis.

John

Page 1 of 5 123