586,103 active members*
3,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: Compumill system 10 troubles

Dukerc51

The PLC will not function correctly while CTRL Reset is asserted. The key here is finding out why this line remains high after the system is running. My notes have some of the wiring from the SSCTL card to the PLC and to the MDI card.

Can you navigate around the menus and change data on the main system controller?

John

I can navigate around the controller, I can reference axis, jog, see program in memory, search for sequence numbers, change set up data, and send programs back and forth. When I try to single block any line of program the control just stalls and I have to hit the red button next to estop and reset to gain control again.

Quote Originally Posted by islander261 View Post
    Duckerc51

Please find attached some notes of mine from when I was getting my machine running.

The good news is the MDI cards are real simple to repair (I had to fix mine).

The brake control should work with no interlocks as far as I know.

I would test all the extra LEDs on the spindle speed control card by having the "correct" MDI card connected as usual. I haven't checked but I think the address is hard wired on the MDI cards so they can't be swapped.
    Then power up the machine and control. Note the spindle speed control cards LEDs that are on.
    Remove J6 from the top edge of the MDI card (at least this is the correct one on my system). See if CTRL Reset LED (far bottom left on SSCLT card) is off, it should be. Do you have control of spindle and brake? Check J6 pin 4 on MDI card (connector you just removed) is it at about 25VDC?

John

John your the man!! I disconnected the J4 connector on the mdi interface card and the spindle fired up. Still no brake though! Here are two pics, first one is with j4 connected and second one is disconnected. I also tested voltages on J4 connector on card. Working from right to left, 8 pins total this is what I got.

14 25 25 25 17 16 25 25 right hand side being back of control and left hand would be towards crt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sscc before (2).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	293676

Name:	sscc after (2).jpg 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	293678

Another problem I am having is the machine keeps kicking out on me. I'm not sure if it's power supply or something else. I was trying to fix as much as possible before the repaired power supply comes back in case there is something causing power supply to get damaged. I have high voltage here, regular house current is 245 to 250, I have some buck boost transformers I can hook to this machine. I had them on an emco 220 but sold that lathe. These would bring me down to 225 volts or so which is closer to the 220 machine wants. Maybe this isn't a big deal but I figured it might help this mill out?

Dukerc51

Well that is good news that the PLC works when it is out of reset. Post a photo showing which connector you removed, I may have made a mistake in my notes and counted wrong.

On my system the two MDI cards are not the same and are not interchangeable!

Attachment 293688

The card on the left is the 24 out / 8 in card that is the furthest from the power supply in the card rack. The one the right is the 8 out / 24 in card that is closer to the power supply in the card rack. The spindle speed control is connected to the 24 out / 8 in MDI card.

Attachment 293690

The 24 out / 8 in MDI card is the bottom one in this photo.

Attachment 293692

24 0ut / 8 In MDI card.

Attachment 293694

8 Out / 24 In MDI card.

I think there is a problem with your 24 out / 8 in MDI card. The problem(s) are not likely the same as I had.

Attachment 293696

This is a likely problem area of the card, if I didn't make a mistake in my notes, it is looking likely that I did because of the replaced IC on my card. Use a magnifying glass and carefully inspect this area for any bits of swarf or corrosion. Clean it really well with rubbing alcohol and blow dry with clean dry air. My card had corrosion (broken traces) under the tape under the LM317s (big three terminal ICs at top). On one of sheets I posted this morning is a sketch of the typical output channel schematic. If I had to guess I think that there is either some swarf stuck somewhere or that IC10 and IC12 (UDN 2982A, get them off of ebay from china) have gone bad. I had one fail on my card along with several LM317s. Parts and Smarts can fix this card easily, it shouldn't be too much, under an hour labor.

John

My control has the interface card farthest away from the power supply?

Dukerc51

I have high lines where I live in the off season. Check the control power transformer output, top left in control cabinet. If it is 120VAC or under you are OK. I don't know how sensitive the servo power supply is to a high line. If the voltages are too high then use your transformers on the input to your RPC.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerc51 View Post
    My control has the interface card farthest away from the power supply?
    Dukerc51

That is correct the MDI card farthest away from the power supply. Which connector did you remove from the card edge?

John

I have card p/n 3737298H ( MDI DC I/O INTERFACE) as the last card in the rack farthese from power supply, next is p/n 3738407E (MDI INTERFACE 24 IN/8 OUT) next

I removed connector J6

I removed connector J6
    Dukerc51

OK, I guess I didn't get mixed up.

John

This is the connector I unhooked.

Name:	j6 (2).jpg 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	293700

Just curious but the wire loom that connects to the 3737298 card is it labeled I/01 ?? Just always looking for anything out of ordinary!!

Just curious but the wire loom that connects to the 3737298 card is it labeled I/01 ?? Just always looking for anything out of ordinary!!
    Dukerc51

Mine is labelled the same.

John

So out of curiousity I swapped my mdi card out with the one I believe (from memory) came with my machine. I lost a lot of leds on the speed board. The machine is in estop now. I don't know if I'm better off with this card and trying to figure out why it gives me an estop?
    Attachment 293702

Name:	monday 2.JPG 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	293704

So out of curiousity I swapped my mdi card out with the one I believe (from memory) came with my machine. I lost a lot of leds on the speed board. The machine is in estop now. I don't know if I'm better off with this card and trying to figure out why it gives me an estop?
    Attachment 293702

Name:	monday 2.JPG 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	293704
    Dukerc51

Ok, it is hard to tell.

First make sure no E-Stops or extreme limits are tripped.

Then on PLC at the lower right corner there is a wire labelled 158. The terminal just above it should have a green/white wire on it. Measure the voltage between here and any node (wire)150 point, it should be close to 0 or 28VDC. If the machine is not in E-Stop and the MDI card is ok then I think this should be about 28VDC.

Now power off and time for some exploring. I don't have the wiring for the controller so I don't know for sure where I am going. Using your ohm meter connect one side to the same green/white wire and probe the connector P6 pins on the 24 out/ 8 in MDI card (same connector as before) and find which one is connected. If no connection is found then try P5 pins (next one over). To test you have it right hit one of the E-Stops and it should go open circuit. If that doesn't work then take you ohm meter and find where J4 pin 35 ( I think this is a big D sub on top) on the computer rack goes to (it will be one of the MDI cards connection). Also check the connection back to the green/white wire on the PLC. The connection to J4 pin 35 is from the power box drawing in an area that I found errors or at least differences from my machine.

I think both of your 24 out / 8 in MDI cards have problems but this one may be easier to fix. If you send to Parts and Smarts then it doesn't matter which one.

John

I'm thinking my original card has less issues as well. I will try what you suggested next. So basically there is a problem with this card causing a estop ?

I unhooked the green wire from the plc and have one end clipped to my meter. I can't seem to find a connection anywhere in the control cabinet. I can find places with resistance values that change when I hit estop but can't get meter to zero out anywhere with estop not pressed. I'll keep searching. Thanks

I am also noticing ic 10 on the board that gives me too many leds on speed board has a crack in it. I also noticed if I check for continuity between pin 2 and 4 of plug J2 and the left most pin of the J6 connector I get an open line. On the card that doesn't give me leds on speed board but has estop I do not get an open line.

Name:	interface board.JPG 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	293720

John,
    Yes I think I am gonna send cards back to Parts and Smarts. I think you helped me narrow it down to card #10 the interface card. There has to be something up with it somewhere for sure. Gotta love 30 year old electronics!! Thanks

Page 4 of 5 2345