586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Re: Hacking PathPilot is simple

awesome! thanks for the vid.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Thanks! and if you want Dropbox too... https://instagram.com/p/73GvqxlUAb

Hacking? Tormach left the door open on purpose. Walking through an open door and changing the config isn't hacking!
    Step

Linux is pretty much the red light district for me. I ain't openin no doors until someone else goes in there first and comes back alive and happy.
    Lee

I came out alive and VERY happy Lee.

As for "hacking" - You don't know my background, but I've been in computer labs with CIA, FBI, DOD, etc... This is a form of hacking, no way around that. It's just not how YOU want it to sound.

Here is a quote from https://www.maketecheasier.com/hackers-force-for-good/
    "White hat (doesn’t destroy anything, but rather fixes it), grey hat (does things outside the confines of the law), and black hat (disrupts things for profit or fun)."

This would be under the "white hat" definition. Ever heard of "Life Hacks" or "Food Hacks"... well...

Another quote from that page "hacking is the way to improve and invent things."

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    You don't know my background, but I've been in computer labs with CIA, FBI, DOD, etc...
    You put up a series of videos demonstrating that you were having difficulty explaining what you were seeing!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Linux is pretty much the red light district for me. I ain't openin no doors until someone else goes in there first and comes back alive and happy.
    There are countless videos on YouTube of people attempting back summersaults from a wall and landing on their heads. They all appear to survive, but is this a sign that you should try it too? Be careful who you chose to follow.
    The door's open but there are just no signs saying "THIS WAY IN". Just like with the Tormach Mach3 based controller software I don't believe that it's in Tormach's interest to have everybody playing around with these values, otherwise they could have provided a configuration tab or dialog. They have configured the limits perhaps a little on the conservative side but if they thought it was a good idea for everyone to increase the maximum feeds for PP then I suspect they would already have done so. For the brave (or foolish ) the door is open as has already been posted many times in this forum - but enter at your own risk!
    The odd value I posted elsewhere of 157 ipm comes from 4000 mm/min and was the result of testing various rates until I found a limit, subtracting a safety margin and then rounding down to a nice round number. I'm not cutting at these speeds, and faster rapids won't significantly reduce your turnaround times unless you have excessive rapid moves anyway, in which case they should be optimized first. These settings are simply configuration values but the limits are probably dependent on my actual mill setup and controller compatibility. What works for one setup might not work for yours, so don't be surprised if you start loosing steps….
    If you don't want to loose your tool settings make sure that your backup actually works for you before you need it! and if anyone doesn't feel comfortable playing around in there it's probably a good sign that they shouldn't .
    Step

Why come ruin my thread? What's the point? I didn't know what I was seeing because countless others didn't either. UNTIL Mesa came along with an idea (because it's their board) - I didn't hear you speak up? why? I've never used a mesa board before. Your posts in this thread are pointless, hopefully a mod cleans this mess up. This is one reason I don't hang around here much, too many trolls and drama. How many constructive posts have you actually made on cnczone?

It is really unimportant to me. I won't do anything to the lathe until after the extended warranty runs out. However it would be nice to know that I could increase the rapid speeds on the lathe at that time. It's not really necessary with our workflow right now. The main thing I was looking for when I bought the SBL15 was unattended operation. Not speed. Stick half a bar in there and push the cycle start button. Then come back when it's all finished and do it over again. That right there saves a lot of labor costs each week.
    On the other hand, this is a Linux based controller. I would be pretty ignorant of it if I did not take the time to learn a little more about it. I have always been about learning and accepting new challenges. That attitude has allowed me to be where I am today. Still not rich, but I do not work for the man.
    Lee

this is gold info for the people who won't pp on non tormach machine`s (yes no support from tormach bla bla) move on. onto it Lee
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great stuff, Bamcnc !!!! It's great to see young folks investigating, thinking things out, making something better. Keep up the good work
    pete

HAL and INI files are quite familiar territory for EMC/EMC2/LinuxCNC users. Not much of a hack, although Tormach's PathPilot OEM configuration may have made the front door seem like a trap door to anyone that had never been inside LinuxCNC.

I could very much understand how Tormach shipping preconfigured machines would prefer not to tie up the phone lines trying to retrace end users steps in edited machine configuration files. However, for those that are comfortable and want the flexibility to tune and mess around under the hood of their own cars, then yes, LinuxCNC is a very flexible and powerful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    HAL and INI files are quite familiar territory for EMC/EMC2/LinuxCNC users. Not much of a hack, although Tormach's PathPilot OEM configuration may have made the front door seem like a trap door to anyone that had never been inside LinuxCNC.

I could very much understand how Tormach shipping preconfigured machines would prefer not to tie up the phone lines trying to retrace end users steps in edited machine configuration files. However, for those that are comfortable and want the flexibility to tune and mess around under the hood of their own cars, then yes, LinuxCNC is a very flexible and powerful tool.
    When I get to customizing my Pathpilot, I'll be sure to have a dual boot setup... one where I run the stock Pathpilot and the other where I run the custom one. So, if I run into problems on the custom one, if I have time and inclination, I can verify that the problem exists in the stock version so I don't bug them with stuff that has to do with me playing around. Currently, I have it installed on an SSD and I have the stock Mach3 3.5" brick sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It boots up in about 30 seconds from SSD. I'm highly encouraged by what I've seen here and and specifically what TacticalKeyChains was doing with it so far. I hadn't wanted to modify mine yet, but I can already see myself doing it in the future. Love forums in general. All you guys sharing information and coming together on this stuff is amazing. You all rock!

Turbostep has contributed far more than most. Perhaps you missed his rigid tapping demo.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Turbostep has contributed far more than most. Perhaps you missed his rigid tapping demo.
    Praise for one person isn't a knock against the other. I've seen videos of what TKC was doing and also talked with him about it on several occasions. He jumped in and tried it before I did, I had just read about it.

I'm sure my comment saying how wonderful this place was for sharing information and helping each other applied to Turbostep too! I wasn't saying that it was only thanks to one person, just saying how that person made it easier for me to take the plunge. Please don't read too much into what I say. Chances are I haven't thought that far ahead.

Quarky42, I apologize if you thought that my comment was directed to you. It wasn't.

Kstrauss who where directing at

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I assumed that the petulant post:
    "Why come ruin my thread? What's the point? I didn't know what I was seeing because countless others didn't either. UNTIL Mesa came along with an idea (because it's their board) - I didn't hear you speak up? why? I've never used a mesa board before. Your posts in this thread are pointless, hopefully a mod cleans this mess up. This is one reason I don't hang around here much, too many trolls and drama. How many constructive posts have you actually made on cnczone?" was directed to turbostep but perhaps I was wrong. I've found turbostep always helpful and have learned a great deal from his posts. Obviously some may disagree!

you just have to rember turbostep is from Switzerland where they make some nices stuff and do stuff properly, they have to many rules over there and hacking is a lose term for bending something to what you wont be it changing something from how it was to how you wont it

no insult meant

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]