586,741 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: NL vs NLX

Page 1 of 2 12

NL vs NLX

Dear All,

At the beginning I would like to welcome the users and moderators of this forum. I work in CNC industry, I am a technologist and programmer. In the past we used to work on cheaper machines, such as DMG ecoline however after five years of usage they were not suitable to anything (broken). We decide to go one step further and this year we bought NLX 2000/500 SY and NVX 5100/50.

We do not regret this decision, but I have a few questions:

1. As far as I know, the letter "X" in the name "NLX" means that it is the cheaper version of NL, or am I wrong ?

2. Is the NLX built from much worses components than NL ?

3. Is the durabiity of NLX and NL similar ?

4.Old lathes Mori Seiki, for example SL have good reputation, what about the new NLX ?

Re: NL vs NLX

No the X does not mean cheaper version. The X series is the next generation. The spindle was redesigned ( for the better ), they added base cooling to the casting, and a few other minor changes. The components are not worse. We have both version and both are as equal. The changes where improvements, not to make it less of a machine. The SL was a great machine, but was also 10 year old technology. It is being replaced with a full and complete line of the NLX series. The SL did not have Y axis, dual spindle, and was slower than the NLX series. Your new Dodge Charge is not the same one you owned in '68. But it is still a pretty sweet ride with better handling and better gas milage. The same is true of metal working machines. As to the Eco line machine, I hear they have made major improvements since joining up with Mori. I think some of the machines are now being made in Poland as well as Japan, Germany, and the US. I was also told that all machines made in China are not for export. Those made in China are for the China market.

Hi,

we have a NL2000SY since 2006 and it worked flawlessy. In last months I get less precise tooling along X axis (H7 holes) because of cool start but nothing significative.

Now we ordered a new NLX2000SY machine, in the next weeks should arrive.
    Whats new:
    - turret motor upgraded to be the same as NL2500
    - larger turret guides
    - better energy consumption (power regenerates when spindle decelerates)
    - some design improvement (second LED light, internal spaces, larger glass and so on)
    - New MAPS with Celos and touch screen. This point is what scares me because of probable loss of productivity! I hope I'm wrong.

I'm sorry for my poor english!

I believe the control behind the scenes on the "X" version is a Mits. versus the non "X" version is F-control

Chippy

NL has been Mitz for some time. Not just since the X series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinolib, everyone I have spoken with that got a CELOS machine really likes it. The biggest change is mindset. If you approach it as a computer and not a CNC control, it really helps the learning curve and opens the full potential of the controls.

Thx Scotty for clarifying you are very much correct on the NL versus NLX both are Mits.

Chippy

I havent ever owned a cnc but ive run just about every brand of high end mill turn and i can say that NL/NLX, whatever, Dmg moris are in a league all by themselves. New ones seem to be more problematic but so is ever new one, cars too for that matter.

Jamessiffel, your assessment is so right. As we grow in technology, it gets more sensitive. We all love our smart phones, but those old analog phones where bullet proof. I ran an 1980 MORI MV35 and it read one line at a time. It NEVER broke down. But I would not give up my CELOS or Siemens controls for anything. 3D visual and crash protection is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty.la View Post
    Jamessiffel, your assessment is so right. As we grow in technology, it gets more sensitive. We all love our smart phones, but those old analog phones where bullet proof. I ran an 1980 MORI MV35 and it read one line at a time. It NEVER broke down. But I would not give up my CELOS or Siemens controls for anything. 3D visual and crash protection is awesome!

You are so right Scotty, i never mind running older equipment, but older controls just aggravates me. Im jealous you have Siemens and Celos.

Love mapps IV, won't touch a celios. Not a fan of touch screens on machine tools. We just got a new NVX7000 with mapps IV, does everything a control should.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

No question that is the big buzz with DMG MORI and Mazak going touch screens. Just find it funny Okuma did a hybrid ( like CELOS over Siemens ) a few years ago and no one said a peep. Maybe no one cared.

Mori did it back in 1996 on Cls and TVs. Hated it then!

I see it as an auto show sort of thing. They automakers come out with these crazy out of the box ideas and when it hits main stream, it is not as out there, but really cool features. I have heard something about the SlimLine DMG MORI has on the EcoLine, but have not seen it yet. Underthetire, your an old MORI guy, what is your take on the latest developments within DMG MORI?

Oh ya, I go back let's just say over 20 years. In regards to product or dumping the distributors? As far as product line, now that I'm a customer and not a rep, I will only buy true Mori products. We have had equipment in the past from DMG, never again. The new Mori equipment is designed well, and much easier to work on than the old stuff.
    As far as dumping the distribution, not sure that's a great move. I have never been overly impressed by most of the actual Mori service techs other than a few Japanese engineers on loan. Don't get me wrong, they have a couple that are quite good, just not always able to get them. Our local distributor goes through people like I go through Kleenex. So in that regards, probably not much will change. Mori like most Japanese companies does not pay a competitive wage in our area, so I don't think they will be able to steal anyone either. This local distributor has gone through 4 vice presidents in about 7 years. Kinda hard to build a good relationship with the revolving door policy at Ellison.

Based on when and where you get the machine, turret can be different. There is a Japan Mori turret, and a German Sauter turret. Sauter turret I think is smaller. However you can align the Sauter with the tools still mounted. Both versions use the same 60mm BMT tools. There is some more firewall clearance in the X class. NL and NLX are Mits machines, unless comes with the Cellulite control.

Cellulite controls. CELOS is over Mitz too.

Omg that's so funny, and true! From what I've gleamed the cellulite is over seimens and Mapps5 (looks almost the same) is over Fanuc/mits/whatever the hell else they dig up.

NL vs NLX

Not over Fanuc yet. But the new SlimLine on the new EcoLine is Fanuc and MAPPS 4. I really like it. The new EcoLines are more Dura than old EcoLine. Really nice machines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444876207.027959.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	294940

Looks different than mapps4 for sure, but has a keyboard. That could work. Wonder if Davis has any. Might take a run up there. We have about a dozen mapps 4 machines, and are very well liked. Our new NVX7000 is a hellava machine.

Page 1 of 2 12