586,105 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Has there been a recent price increase on the Torus pro since the website change?

Has there been a recent price increase on the Torus pro since the website change?

I seem to remember pricing one out shipped to Oregon is about the same as the base price now (Shipping was $1300 or so from Canada, but cant get the quote to work anymore). My budget has been set at 15k but I have 2k o that allocated for tooling so this little difference now matters in my case. I aleady have some tooling with my G0704 cnc but will need things like a new vice and ER collets.

Ive been torn between the tormach (mostly after the new 10-20k high speed spindle has been announced) and novakon. Before the same price was Tormach with stand and PDB or just the Novakon and upgrade to PDB later.

Re: Has there been a recent price increase on the Torus pro since the website change?

Dallas J

I believe the prices increased a while ago, primarily due to the new stand. I might add well worth the extra dollars for larger capacity coolant, angled surface (no more coolant pooling), and the wash down function.
    As to which machine to purchase it depends on your requirements. The Novakon Torus Pro has a much larger working envelope, a 6000 RPM motor (no gearbox required) and excellent accuracy.
    The larger table and work envelope is invaluable when custom jigging is required. This allows making multiple parts side by each in larger numbers. As you eluded to in your post you could acquire the larger work envelope
    up front and add the PDB later. I have the Torus Pro and use it primarily for prototyping. Could not be more pleased with its performance.

Good hunting

John

Re: Has there been a recent price increase on the Torus pro since the website change?

Dallas.

The new Novakon Pro is a machine like no other in its class.
    It has the largest work envelope by far and the new Stand and dual pump coolant system with washdown is amazing, add the updated electronics such as a smooth stepper and USA made VFD and it is a clear leader in the serious hobby to mid sized machine or prototype shop category. I had an nm200 for a few years and got the Pro about 8 months ago and the added quality in the new model is well worth the minimal increase in cost.
    If I had to do it again I would chose the Novakon Pro over anything in its class and some that claim to be a class above, and not look back I recommend you do the same
    Ray Mc

Thanks guys, good to hear you would buy again. Always a sign its a good purchase.

The buy the machine now and let it grow with upgrades is probably the way I'll go. I can buy upgrades anytime but replacing the whole machine, that's a much bigger hassle. The work envelope and power are my biggest reasons for wanting the Novakon over the Tormach but of course things like these are always a tough decision. Wash down would be great and heard the other guys coolant system was only barely adequate (from posts on their section).

I'll be prototyping race car parts and if I have enough interest in a part I'll use some local guys for a batch. At least that's the plan.

What part of Oregon? I'm on the east side of Portland.

My only suggestion is......if there are other upgrades that you know you will be getting directly from Novakon.....try to get them at the same time as you get the mill. It won't really add anything to the shipping cost if it comes with the mill.....but if you order it later, it could be substantial.......such as the rotary table for the 4th axis. The PDB, you can get from Ray down the road to save on the shipping.

I'd buy another Pro......the bigger work envelope is not an "option" you can "add on" later. Even if the work envelope was the same......Ray's PDB would swing my vote to the Pro....especially if you already have any R8 tooling!
    MIke
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    The PDB, you can get from Ray down the road to save on the shipping.
    To clarify, the PDB is always purchased from Novakon (I do not sell retail), but if it is shipped to a customer in the US, it will usually be drop-shipped direct from here, to save shipping up to Canada and back. Shipping cost is then not at all onerous.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I take it both of you guys are in P-town area? I would love to come check out one of your CNCs to get an idea of size and pick your brains on needed extra equipment. Im basically at the corner of I5 and 217.

I do have a enough tooling to keep me going on my current cnc but not what I need for the parts I have planned. Would love to just get it all out of the box but bonus season just wasn't as happy to me as I'd hoped. A base cnc upgrade is still a massive upgrade from the G0704 and its tiny column, small travels, .75hp motor, 2100rpm limit, etc. I'll get the upgrades as I pay them off with various parts

Thanks Ray!!

Ray is in Santa Cruz. I'm in Gresham. Mine is sitting idle right now, but you're more than welcome to come see it. You can pm me via this forum or contact me through my site BlueHandsInc.com - Products

Mike
    Don't have to be too bright to be me