586,912 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Spped

Spped

What determines the spped of your machine? aside from the obvious panel setting in the software.
    Using KCAM, I can achieve between 7 to 10 IPM.
    Using TurboCNC, I cam achieve 14 to 20.

Is this a controller issue, power supply issue or both.?

Peace
    Neil

It's an operating system issue. Windows cannot guarantee KCam that it will receive processor time when it needs it to send properly-timed signals to your controller since there are multiple programs all competing for the processor at the same time in Windows.

Google for "real-time operating systems" if you're more curious about the situation. DOS is not real-time either, but it's much closer to that ideal than Windows.

I don't know about it being the OS, Mach 2 runs under Windows 2000 or XP and I can get 180 IPM, which works out to 45K pulses per second. This can be handeled by all 6 axis.

did you take the time to go through all the setup steps?

A fair amount of MACH 2 users forget to set the units to inches, so the machine travles at a max of 180mm a minute. I've had them on the phone when they change the setting and then WOW.

Just look for setup stuff like that, you might also want to try the CCED yahoo list.

Thanks
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

Mach 2

I've not tried Mach 2. Is this similar to TurboCNC?
    and can I download a demo. I have Mach 5.

Mach 2 uses a device driver that resolves the timing issue usually associated with windows based stepper control.

The kcam/turbocnc difference you see is indeed a windows issue. With all your settings correct, you will go much slower with kcam. Try running Turbocnc in a dos window and the results will be similar to kcam. Stick with turbocnc ($20.00), or use Mach2 ($150.00). Anyday now turbocnc 4 will be out which kicks butt! I am a beta tester and let me tell you it's real nice. The last beta was good enough for me to use without worry. The user interface is all new, very handy, and very slick.

You may consider registering Turbocnc before version 4 'cause I have a funny feeling the price may go up. I believe registered users get version 4 for free. Or you can wait because you want to help the author out with a larger registration fee. Whatever the price will be it will be worth every penny and more.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registering TurboCNC

Hiya Balsaman,
    Where can I register TurboCNC. I'm not one who is lax on grutuitous payment for a job or product well done. As I can see alot of work has gone into TurboCNC. I will gladly pay the $20.00.
    and then some when I can get my hands on Ver 4.0.

Peace
    Neil

I wish it wouldn't crash.