586,077 active members*
3,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > NC Code programing by the machinist

NC Code programing by the machinist

Hey everyone,

I’m a student for industrial engineering. Part of my theses, I’m researching methods for improving the operations of small CNC job shops. One of the research areas is how to effectively empower machinists in order to increase the overall shop productivity. The first idea I test is whether allowing the machinist to prepare and modify the NC Code on the production floor could increase the productivity.

I have a few questions, which I hope you could share with me your experience on:
    1. In your shop, does the machinist create NC Code? If so, which tools he uses (e.g. text editor, controller HMI, and CAM)?
    2. Do you see significant value in allowing the machinist create NC Code? If so, which values? (e.g. better utilizing the machinist time, reducing communication errors with the CAM programmer, easier to track the machinist performances)
    3. What does it take to allow the machinist in your shop to create NC Code or to be more effective in creating it if he already doing so? (e.g. simple CAM on the machine, improve machinist programming competence, simulation tools)

Any insight would be highly appreciated! Thank you for your help!!

Bill

Re: NC Code programing by the machinist

Bill,
    In response to your questions respectively;
    1. Our machinists create code as dictated by their level of technical competence. We have machinists that vary from school trained to 30+ years. The lesser experienced seek guidance from the more experienced machinists, but all modify/tweak code directly at the CNC. When CAD/CAM is required they go directly to the CAD/CAM person and coded is generated there. We operate a lot differently than most shops though, we have a strong team mentality. In most shops the more proficient employees use their knowledge/experience to protect their job.
    2. Yes. If your machinists can demonstrate the ability to dictate which process is more efficient. You have to provide them some leeway in their apprenticeship to make some controlled mistakes to learn the technicalities associated with problem/situation resolution.
    3. Initiative, enthusiasm and a desire to learn. If you don't have these in our shop, you really don't need to be here. One of our newest hires had experience in hospitality management, but aspired to work in manufacturing. After working for several years in other machine shops he found us. At his previous manufacturing employers his senior coworkers suppressed his trade education by not mentoring him. In less than 1 year (while working with technically proficient mentors) he now works with minimal supervision and is aggressively proactive at independent problem resolution. His previous coworkers wouldn't explain the mechanics of metal removal, chip formation, etc., or the correlation of the variables passed in subroutines to the machining process.

Now, to digress to "The first idea I test is whether .....," is to first assess the proficiency of the machinist and the team dynamics of the company;
    - If the machinist is not technically proficient in cnc programming and doesn't have access to the required resources, then No, the machinist should not.
    - If the machinist has the experience to efficiently modify code at the machine to produce a part more efficiently by; reducing cycle time, increasing tool life and improving throughput without assistance, then absolutely.
    - I'm going to write the following because it is factual, but some will say cheers and others the reciprocal. CAD/CAM can be taught in a matter of weeks (this doesn't qualify you as a machinist). An introduction machining processes two years in school or hands on work experience (and this still doesn't qualify you as a machinist). After 3 more years, based on the skills honed through continuous education and experience can you call yourself a machinist.

A technically proficient machinist is a role model manufacturing proficiency. If you ask one of them to sharpen a tool for you, don't be surprised if they ask you what you are cutting (because it does make a difference)? Prime numbers, trigonometry, and algebra are relevant to machinists. The bible of your trade isn't a best seller, but its been published 29 times. Outside of work you have learned to downplay your profession in public since everyone wants you to make or fix something for them. At the end of the work day a CNC machinist will G00 G28, G84 that, G04, & M99. However, if they are moonlighting they G00 G110, G00 G28, G84 that, G04, & M99.

Sam