586,115 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X-Axis servo alarms

Good day guy''s
    Can any body out there assist me with a Haas Mill?
    Machine works fine. all of a sudden the X-Axis moves very noisy and roufgh . Sometimes it gives servo 103 high current alarms, next it gives 139 x motor z fault ,and also 232 encoder pulse alarms.
    I can try and reset the alarms , but as soon as i move the machine the alarm appears again. The only way to keep the alarm off , is to turn the ball screw by hand , press reset and it will work again for a while.
    The ball screw is VERY loose which is a bit of a concern. The motor and cable were tested and very good. The encoder cover was removed and it looks new inside.
    Suspecting that the encoder might be faulty ( glass moving on shaft under load).
    Did any body out there have the same fault before or can anybody assist
    Thank you

Re: X-Axis servo alarms

If its an older machine with brushed motors i would definately check the brushes. If brushless its either the servo amp, or the low volt power supply most likely.
    Switch your X servo amp with the Y or Z. You need to switch the connector that goes to the Mocon board and the wires going to the motor. If the problem stays with the servo amp driver thats your problem. If the problem stays on X its either the motor / encoder / motor cable. I have seen the low volt power supply cause random servo alarms that make no sense. Check the voltage coming out of the low volt power supply, this is a common part that wears out and can be easily retrofitted with a standard computer power supply if you are on a tight budget. Have done that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by GITRDUN View Post
    If its an older machine with brushed motors i would definately check the brushes. If brushless its either the servo amp, or the low volt power supply most likely.
    Switch your X servo amp with the Y or Z. You need to switch the connector that goes to the Mocon board and the wires going to the motor. If the problem stays with the servo amp driver thats your problem. If the problem stays on X its either the motor / encoder / motor cable. I have seen the low volt power supply cause random servo alarms that make no sense. Check the voltage coming out of the low volt power supply, this is a common part that wears out and can be easily retrofitted with a standard computer power supply if you are on a tight budget. Have done that a few times.
    Thanks for the reply GITRDUN.
    It is a AC Servo system. Will check as you said when i get back to the customer. The agents have already quote on a replacement servo motor , but are to expensive. (NEARLY $3200)
    Going to try and source a service exchange on repair on the net. Will keep you posted
    THX

PS.
    Be careful of the power wires feeding the servo amps. There is a capacitor in line that will retain power on those wires for a few minutes after the power is turned off or disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by GITRDUN View Post
    PS.
    Be careful of the power wires feeding the servo amps. There is a capacitor in line that will retain power on those wires for a few minutes after the power is turned off or disconnected.

Will be THX