586,103 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > Small breaks. About to get rid of them.

Small breaks. About to get rid of them.

Hello,
    Im interested in how other shops handle breaks through out the day? Right now my shop has 2 15 min breaks. 1 before lunch, and 1 after. Im about to take away the small breaks, because it always seems to be an issue with people starting breaks early, and ending breaks late. We didnt even have to give them breaks, besides a 30 minute lunch, and they are abusing them. I was just curious to what other shops are doing for breaks, besides lunch?

Re: Small breaks. About to get rid of them.

Some times you have to shoot a hostage. Showing one the door on occasion would probably get the point across to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by dfearnow View Post
    Hello,
    Im interested in how other shops handle breaks through out the day? Right now my shop has 2 15 min breaks. 1 before lunch, and 1 after. Im about to take away the small breaks, because it always seems to be an issue with people starting breaks early, and ending breaks late. We didnt even have to give them breaks, besides a 30 minute lunch, and they are abusing them. I was just curious to what other shops are doing for breaks, besides lunch?
    Are you serious? I mean, do you seriously believe punishing is the solution and by removing the 2 x 15 minute breaks they will work harder for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    Some times you have to shoot a hostage. Showing one the door on occasion would probably get the point across to the rest.
    That's very rude. I think beating them with a whip now and then should be enough.

If I'm spending serious time in front of a machine, my brain has turned to mush after a couple of hours. A quick break gives me a chance to rest the brain, rest the eyes and refresh myself for another couple of hours.

I suspect that a few things will happen if you remove the break:
    1. Your staff are going to resent it. Give 'em something then take it away is worse than not giving it in the first place. Far worse.
    2. Your overall quality will go down.
    3. Your costs will go up as more mistakes occur, breakages happen, rework is required.
    4. They will find ways to take a break anyway

If people are abusing the break time, maybe deal with that problem directly. Or, better yet, understand why it's happening and deal with the cause.

I would say if it all your employee's you should remind them that the break are 15minutes and to keep to that schedule. Be polite about it the first time. Just taking them away without warning will hurt your productivity too. If it is just a few talk to them indvidually no reason to punish a group for the actions of a few. Happy emploee's will be more productive.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

I initially used to go the nice route but you get tired pretty quickly of repeating the process. Rotating some heads on occasion got better results. There are some employees that if you make them happy are more productive. Other just have to work under the constant awareness that they could be the next one out the door.

Hell I eventually got so tired of it I finally gave up and went back to work for someone else. I just ended up not happy trying to get people to

A. Show up for work

and

B. Be productive when they were there.

That second afternoon break has always been a momentum buster. We went to a 20 minute morning break (with a loud buzzer on either end), and no afternoon break. Kept the half hour lunch.Same loud buzzer.

well running companies , makes every hour 5 min break..
    around 90 I was visiting a german factory.. ... all line stopped for 5 min at every hour.. I think 10o'clock they stopped for 10 min..

when line started, missing folks couldn't returned..

after 45-50 min focusing on task, if they don't take breaks, they most likely they make mistake, or slow down..
    very roughly if 60 min can be 60 part, then by any reasons the 480 min shift wont produce more than 350 average part..
    this apply with conventional machines.. where you work manually, and each step require focusing...

you can try yourself.. youll be surprised... it is not about one day.. but standing up everyday..

additionally, in a workplace like a toolroom, you cant push ""performance"" but quality.. you must be either way too young, or simply has no experience..

Weeks old post I know but still curious as to why a company or person would make all the apples in the bunch responsible for a few bad ones? Wouldn't this cause issues with everyone, instead of just the few abusing the problem?
    The american way now i guess, make everyone responsible for the few. And we wonder why our country's in the shape its in.
    Dennis