586,075 active members*
3,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Machine Created Art > Cutting wax models for jewerly

Smile Cutting wax models for jewerly

Has anyone created wax 3d models for jewerly. Can I make a machine to do this and what s/w is best for modeling.

Well....I would look at a Taig CNC with the fourth axis option.....if you want to start creating soon...otherwise you could look at building your own CNC mill and adding a 4th axis.

Have you looked at CNC Toolkit:
    http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_gallery.htm

I installed it with GMax3d over the weekend. Not done much with it yet. Still assebling my DIY CNC Router.
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

I have made Wax molds.... but never done any castings. I use a maxnc15 Ol mill with a home made 4th axis.
    Here is my photobucket site with pics of what I have done. Im still learning. Password is : zx9r
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ery%20Designs/

Software wise........ dude, how deep is your pocket?
    I am stumbling my way thru Artcam Jewelsmith. I bought it from a friend of mine at a fraction of the going price.

I am a jewelry model maker

I have a Taig with fourth axis for a few months and started with 3D contouring in wax. Pretty much in the experiment phase but here is an example of one of my first test pieces. Not jewelry per say but a good example of some 3D mill surfacing that can be done. I also included a pic of the mill.

As of late I have been using it to cut parts direct into white metal with 2.5 D pocketing and contouring but hope to soon get back to the surfacing.

Check out this wikki I found it useful when I was looking.
    http://www.tabletopmachinewiki.com/w...Jewelry_Primer

There are some machines (Roland.......) that are geared strictly toward jewelry but from what I have seen are somewhat expensive for what they are and limited in thier capabilities as far as size and materials accessories and versatility. Unlike a true mill. I like have the option of making tools or larger models if I so choose and will be.

As far as software. I have heard alot of ppl use rhino as a all purpose software option. Affordable and decent. There are a few jewelry geared softwares that are obviosly pre setup to make jewelry. But I have heard thet they can be limited in use and things start looking the same and generic. I use solid works personally for design. I am proficient in it and have it from work so for me its a higher end software for free. Cant beat that

I use mesh cam or Desk CNC as g-code converters depending on what I am doing. Each have thier strengths and purpose for different types of operations.

I use Mach 3 as my controller software

Note: there is definately a learning curve here though. From machine setup to learning software to toolpath generation and software operation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Assault Rifle.jpg   taig_full setup.jpg  

Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Thank you. It was the first actual piece I pulled off the machine. Everything before it was just test pieces just to see how CNCing worked and get the machine operating the way it should.

It was a very quick goumetrically based form I whipped up in about an hour on lunch break.

I plan to take it to a whole other level now that I have been getting more comfortable with CNCing in general. The 2.5 contouring and pocketing has taught me alot. It actually takes alot more strategy and effort to generate those sort of g-code files.

STL 3-D surfacing is pretty straight foreward and the software sort of takes care of the rest. Granted the files used to create the stl's are far far far more complex than the DXF's for 2.5D. So in the end I guess both ways there is work to be done whether on the design or CAM end of things

Very nice work...
    I am just setting up my Sherline CNC...
    DeskCNC and ImService controller..
    Keep up the GREAT work and post more..

I would like to see that casted in gold. (the M203 grenade laucher)

Grease

What size mills did you use to carve out the M203?
    Just curious...
    Great work!

www.bitsbits.com is a fav amoung jewlers......

What I have found that works good and is cheap is a rtc-125-1 V engraving bit for my rouching in and harbor freight carris drill rasps that are 1/8 shank
    20 peice assorted sizes Item number 44924 for $6

Here is apic of them. I use the #80 that are .035mm

thanks for the info...

One other question, did you model the M203, if so, what program? Was it a .dxf, stl or ???.
    thanks

Grease

Assault rifle

That was mine. It was a STL file and I used a 1/4" ball for the rough and a 1/32" ball for the finish. In wax you can be alot more liberal with the rough cut. I would have used a much smaller bit and step size for the rough in metal

assault rifle

Additionally sorry I didnt respond earlier I have been literally bogged with work and must have missed it. It was made on Solid Works.

Jewelry specific software is great if you do a lot of Bridal or pretty standard sort of custom designs. I find I can tell a piece of jewelry was designed in CAD and also usually with what software. There isn't anything wrong with that, there's plenty of people making a very good living making lots of pretty "standard" designs and selling them to very happy customers. My interests are just a bit different that's all.

I use Freeform from www.sensable.com for all my CAD. It ain't cheap, but it's it's fairly intuitive for a guy like me who used to carve everything by hand and the amazing thing is that you can "feel" the piece when you're working on it. I've been using it for over 5 years and it still blows me away. It's head and shoulders above other software for creating original work.

Rhino is a great value.

Matrix, www.gemvision.com, is Rhino repackaged for the jeweler, it has good features and a strong following.

MOI, www.moi3d.com, is free, created by a former Rhino developer, it's sort of Rhino lite.

Artcam has a big user group, it's strengths were for years in 2.5D relief type stuff, great for medals, not so good for rings but the later releases have improved that somewhat.

3Design, www.3designjewel.com, has a good package tailored for the jeweler, I actually prefer it to Matrix. Seemed like similar features but it has true parametric modeling, meaning if you go back to the begining of a design and change something, it'll readjust everything after it.

I use DeskProto for CAM, it's great, really fast toolpath generation and all the features I need.

I have a mostly Minitech mill, 4 axis, with pretty spiffy servo motors and a NSK spindle. Really stout and really accurate. I had a MaxNC years ago, but they're pretty cheesy, I'd look at a Taig or similar for a lower cost mill to start with. If you upgrade, they're easy to sell on ebay.

I used to use Flashcut to drive it but switched to Wincnc, it can drive my mill faster and more accurately.