586,094 active members*
4,186 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LinuxCNC arrow keys won't move table

I've had a Smithy 1240 running successfully with LinuxCNC for a couple of years. It seemed like a good idea to move to LinuxCNC v2.7 and installed a clean version of Ubuntu 12.04. The 1240 configuration file is native to LinuxCNC so I didn't save the HAL or INI files when installing everything fresh.

LinuxCNC will turn machine on, and it will turn the spindle on. The machine will home but the arrow keys will not move the table nor will the G0 commands or MDI commands move the table. It doesn't return an error when a command to move the table is sent.

It seems like the right com port is selected because it homes, and the steppers are getting power and direction signals because the machine went home correctly. Because the spindle turns on and can be accelerated to normal speeds suggests the port configuration is probably right. The arrow keys, keyboard, and mouse work normally in Ubuntu so those pieces of hardware are probably not the problem.

Thinking it was a problem with 2.7, I re-installed a new version of Ubuntu and put LinuxCNC 2.6.10 on the system. The problem remains the same.

Any suggestions what might be a problem? I've spent the last four days fiddling with the software, but have had no success.

Re: LinuxCNC arrow keys won't move table

New info on the jogging problem. An entirely different computer with a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.04 and LinuxCNC 2.5 produced the same problem. When the arrow keys are pushed, the radio buttons which select the x and y axis (for touching off) are selected instead of jogging the table the table.

With the new computer, the X, Y, and Z axis move to their home position when asked.

Does anyone have suggestions or theories?